House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyOne

London Is Starting To Get On My Nerves ......

I am starting to get very frustrated with living in London. Prices, parking and driving are driving me nuts.

I have looked at how we live our lives. We eat, drink and shop within a 15 minute walk of our home. We do "cultural" things three or four times a year. We travel from Heathrow three to five times a year. We spend a lot of time outside with our dog.

Based on the way that we live our lives, I am beginning to find that London is more annoying that it is worth. I am beginning to wonder whether living a 15 minute walk of the town centre in a medium sized town / small city outside the commuter belt makes more sense.

So far, I am leaning towards either Bath or Cheltenham as places to think about living. Their town centres offer more than my local high street. They are only an hour further from Heathrow than my home in North London. We can still get to London a few times a year to do the few "cultural things" that we like that might not be offered locally.

Do any locals have a view as to whether Cheltenham or Bath might be better? Is there anywhere that I have overlooked? I have thought about East Anglia but have ruled it out because of the Heathrow factor. The South Coast seems to suffer from a commuter belt premium.

I would hazard a guess that Cheltenham is probably slightly cheaper than Bath.

Cheltenham is quite a happening place for its size, although a little chav in parts. Don't really know Bath, would guess it's more touristy.

Used to live in London - got job in Cheltenham.

Hated it. Parochial sh1t hole. You would have to send me back at gunpoint. Chelters prices going up like loony right now (brother in law lives there - yes met the missus there - only good thing....) Prices will crash next time it floods :D (Very dodgy economy built on insurance companies and GCHQ - latter OK but former about to craaaaaaaaaassssssssshhhhhhhh)

Edited by non frog

You'll be bored in a week once you leave. Have you thought about living closer to work, or is that not an option? I am a 20 minute walk to work, usually get a bus, NEVER get the tube. I find London fine, ok prices (rents) are still a bit silly, but you get used to it. Wouldn't have thought Bath or Cheltenham would be particularly cheap either mind you.

I work with a lot of people who have hour-long commutes each day every day, I just don't get the attraction of being so far away and spending so much of your life on some sh*t overcrowded tube/train.

I do 90% of my work from my study in my home so I have a 30 second commute to work no matter where I live ......

I do worry about the boredom factor. It is a constant battle between the risk of boredom and the reality of frustration with prices in London.

I am starting to get very frustrated with living in London. Prices, parking and driving are driving me nuts.

You'll be bored in a week once you leave. Have you thought about living closer to work, or is that not an option? I am a 20 minute walk to work, usually get a bus, NEVER get the tube. I find London fine, ok prices (rents) are still a bit silly, but you get used to it. Wouldn't have thought Bath or Cheltenham would be particularly cheap either mind you.

I work with a lot of people who have hour-long commutes each day every day, I just don't get the attraction of being so far away and spending so much of your life on some sh*t overcrowded tube/train.

Edited by traderboy

Guest P-Diddly

I have looked at how we live our lives. We eat, drink and shop within a 15 minute walk of our home. We do "cultural" things three or four times a year. We travel from Heathrow three to five times a year. We spend a lot of time outside with our dog.

Based on the way that we live our lives, I am beginning to find that London is more annoying that it is worth. I am beginning to wonder whether living a 15 minute walk of the town centre in a medium sized town / small city outside the commuter belt makes more sense.

So far, I am leaning towards either Bath or Cheltenham as places to think about living. Their town centres offer more than my local high street. They are only an hour further from Heathrow than my home in North London. We can still get to London a few times a year to do the few "cultural things" that we like that might not be offered locally.

Do any locals have a view as to whether Cheltenham or Bath might be better? Is there anywhere that I have overlooked? I have thought about East Anglia but have ruled it out because of the Heathrow factor. The South Coast seems to suffer from a commuter belt premium.

1805492729_08175e7c29.jpg

Bath is more compact with everything very close together in the centre, but certainly not cheap, and over run with tourists every weekend of the year. Although Heathrow isn't that far (more than an hour), public transport would be expensive compared with arriving from London.

Don't give up on East Anglia

Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk is a pleasant Georgian town, got everything you need and 1hr40 from Heathrow if you get a clear run round the M25.

Also, Saffron Walden is a nice looking town on Essex/Cambs border, a bit smaller but close to the bright lights of Cambridge, but without the same premium. Only 1hr15 from Heathrow and 25min to Stansted.

Lots of other pleasant small towns scattered across East Anglia, but steer clear of Ipswich, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Thetford, King's Lynn, the chav element is a bit too evident.

Don't give up on East Anglia

Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk is a pleasant Georgian town, got everything you need and 1hr40 from Heathrow if you get a clear run round the M25.

Also, Saffron Walden is a nice looking town on Essex/Cambs border, a bit smaller but close to the bright lights of Cambridge, but without the same premium. Only 1hr15 from Heathrow and 25min to Stansted.

Lots of other pleasant small towns scattered across East Anglia, but steer clear of Ipswich, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Thetford, King's Lynn, the chav element is a bit too evident.

I have thought about Bury St Edmunds. It looks to represent exceptional value.

I am scared of the M25 compared to the M4 as a reliable route to Heathrow though.

Guest P-Diddly
If you like Londoners you'll find both places more than acceptable. :lol:

Or you could learn Brizzle.

uppompeii_2.jpg

I moved from London to Cheltenham 9 years ago, the thrill of London went away when I was in my early thirties. I have not regretted it. Very little traffic at the weekends and during the week, Bath is chock a block with traffic jams all the time, and the road in the A46 can be very slow.

It really depends what you want as recreation Plenty of Golf courses here, good walks in the cotswolds with great country pubs and real ale. If you have children then there are very good private and public schools (also some horrors that are in the catchment areas of some very expensive properties).

You can even start supporting Cheltenham Town FC or the Cherry and Whites if you are in to Rugby and Gloucestershire CC play at the College for two weeks every year and I forgot the horse racing as well.

We also have a famous Jazz and Literature festival as well. Most of the above are within 15 mins walking or no more than 30 mins in the car.

Perhaps you need to think of different things you do if you started a new life in a provencial town rather than trying to replicate the recreation that you do now.

Any questions fire away.

Edited by ralphmalph

Guest Daddy Bear
Bath is lovdely but expensive. What will you do for work. Loads of people studily live in Bath and work in London.

Bristol is an option - some lovely parts of Bristol.

P1011029.JPG

Oahu_North_Shore_surfing_hand_drag.jpg

1540675_ZlpCV.jpeg

happy-man.jpg

If you like Londoners you'll find both places more than acceptable. :lol:

Or you could learn Brizzle.

If I were to learn Brizzle, do you think that the South Western accent would be best? Somewhere along the A4174 / A4 perhaps?

Guest Daddy Bear
I moved from London to Cheltenham 9 years ago, the thrill of London went away when I was in my early thirties. I have not regretted it. Very little traffic at the weekends and during the week, Bath is chock a block with traffic jams all the time, and the road in the A46 can be very slow.

It really depends what you want as recreation Plenty of Golf courses here, good walks in the cotswolds with great country pubs and real ale. If you have children then there are very good private and public schools (also some horrors that are in the catchment areas of some very expensive properties).

You can even start supporting Cheltenham Town FC or the Cherry and Whites if you are in to Rugby and Gloucestershire CC play at the College for two weeks every year and I forgot the horse racing as well.

We also have a famous Jazz and Literature festival as well. Most of the above are within 15 mins walking or no more than 30 mins in the car.

Perhaps you need to think of different things you do if you started a new life in a provencial town rather than trying to replicate the recreation that you do now.

Any questions fire away.

KennethWilliams.jpg

Daddy Bear,

I have thought about the "Corn" "Wall", surfing and thongs .....

I was raised in the tropics and sub-tropics and spend at least 20% of my time in California in late autumn, winter or very early spring.

I have (and continue to) indulged my desire to enjoy surf and the female form in more enjoyable climes. I am really not that keen to try to replicate the sea and surf lifestyle in a place that can be miserable even in the height of summer.

I would much rather live somewhere that is more traditionally English during the warmer months than somehwhere that is trying to replicate a lifestyle (sea and surf) that does not exist naturally in this climate.

Guest P-Diddly
The A46 to the M4 and the A4 from Bristol do look very busy as do the roads in Bath itself.

The topography around Bath probably means that it is very dull in the winter if you live in town even though the countryside 5 miles outside Bath is amongst the most beautiful that I have ever seen.

I am probably 5 to 10 years older than you and had my kids when I was very young so schools are not an issue.

Good golf courses, a rugby team and a cricket team to support, easily accesible places to take my dog for long walks, nice places to eat and some nice roads for drives at the weekend are all that I need. Cheltenham sound about right.

From what I have seen so far, Cheltenham looks to be about 10% to 20% cheaper than Bath on a like for like basis in the range that I am considering. So far, I have not yet seen any evidence to support the price differential in favour of Bath.

Bernard_Bresslaw.jpg

Guest Daddy Bear
Daddy Bear,

I have thought about the "Corn" "Wall", surfing and thongs .....

I was raised in the tropics and sub-tropics and spend at least 20% of my time in California in late autumn, winter or very early spring.

I have (and continue to) indulged my desire to enjoy surf and the female form in more enjoyable climes. I am really not that keen to try to replicate the sea and surf lifestyle in a place that can be miserable even in the height of summer.

I would much rather live somewhere that is more traditionally English during the warmer months than somehwhere that is trying to replicate a lifestyle (sea and surf) that does not exist naturally in this climate.

2451-3007.gif

Traffic and parking in Bath can be terrible. You will have exactly the same frustrations there as you have in London, except you won't have so far to travel to get out of the city. Ditto for Bristol and probably Cheltenham, though I don't know it so well. If you want a lifestyle change that you really notice, choose a smaller country town like Melksham or Calne in Wiltshre, for example.

Edited by blankster