House Price Crash Forum

David Cameron Hints Tories Would Not

Guest UK Debt Slave

HOLA441
Guest UK Debt Slave
David Cameron has hinted that a Conservative Government would not hold a referendum on the European Union’s Lisbon Treaty if it is ratified by all EU members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...bon-Treaty.html

Mr Cameron is in a political quandary over his pledge to hold a British vote on the treaty.

It has now been ratified by 23 of the 27 EU states, including the UK.

Ireland, Poland, Germany and the Czech Republic have not endorsed it yet, but are likely to do so before the British general election next year.

In that case, a new Tory government would have to decide whether to hold a British referendum on a ratified treaty, something that other EU leaders say would effectively be an in-or-out choice on Britain’s entire EU membership.

Mr Cameron has repeatedly refused to say what he will do if he comes to power with the treaty ratified, saying only that he will “not let matters rest.â€

Looks very much like the GE will be timed to guarantee a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty will be pointless.

If by some chance there is a general election called early and the Tories win, Cameron will not give the British people a referendum. No doubt, Darth Mandelson will be pumping Broon full of pills to keep him as PM until Poland, Ireland and the Czechs have all ratified it.

What a sham democracy we live in.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
He was interviewed on LBC this morning and I'm 90% sure he said quite clearly he would hold a referendum

http://lbc.audioagain.com/index.php?sid=1&...p;channel_id=90

podcast available here

He said exactly that. If he gets in before it is ratified, we will have a referendum.

The difficulty comes if he gets in after it has been ratified... and yes, seeing as Labour promised a referendum in their manifesto - but wont have it as they know we the people of this "democracy" don't want any part of it, I agree it is currently a total sham.

OP, I don't think your excerpt from the Telegraph really says what you seem to think it does?

HOLA444
HOLA445
Looks very much like the GE will be timed to guarantee a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty will be pointless.

If by some chance there is a general election called early and the Tories win, Cameron will not give the British people a referendum. No doubt, Darth Mandelson will be pumping Broon full of pills to keep him as PM until Poland, Ireland and the Czechs have all ratified it.

The Czechs are doing their bit (Radio Prague: http://www.radio.cz/en/news/120735 )

Czech senators bring complaint against Lisbon treaty to Constitutional Court

A group of senators handed a complaint about the EU’s reforming Lisbon treaty to the Czech Constitutional Court on Tuesday afternoon. The move is expected to delay ratification of the reform document in the Czech Republic by anything between three and nine months. The Czech Republic is already amongst the last European states to ratify Lisbon; besides the Czechs, only Ireland and Poland are yet to approve the document. Opponents of the Constitutional Court complaint say the move could damage the Czech Republic’s standing in Europe, while senators responsible for bringing the complaint say that Lisbon encroaches upon Czech sovereignty and could be at odds with Czech national law. The Constitutional Court has already reviewed several controversial passages of the treaty at the request of right-wing senators. Last autumn it ruled that these articles were in line with Czech law. This time the court will be examining the entire reform document. Head of the court, Pavel Rychetský, called an extraordinary plenary session on Tuesday afternoon to get discussion of Lisbon underway.

HOLA446

Sad but true - the ultimate irony being that every idiot who has or is considering voting for the treasonous ZaNu Liebour is so keen to label all those who disagree with them as fascists and/ or nazis.

Orwell must be turning in his grave.....

HOLA447
The Czechs are doing their bit (Radio Prague: http://www.radio.cz/en/news/120735 )

Again the gallant Czechs and Poles fight against the might of a tyrant. No doubt Gordon Brown is related to the Quisling - Neville Chamberlain - a limp wrist if ever there was one.

PS where's Ted Heath buried - I still haven't pissed on his grave.

HOLA448
Guest UK Debt Slave
Again the gallant Czechs and Poles fight against the might of a tyrant. No doubt Gordon Brown is related to the Quisling - Neville Chamberlain - a limp wrist if ever there was one.

What a good idea!

I'll be sure to drink a gallon of Stella first

Then I might smash his grave to pieces too

HOLA449
Guest UK Debt Slave

Salisbury Cathedral

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If the Czechs can keep this alive until June we are saved. Dave will never dare take us into an unratified treaty without it, and then it's finished.

The Brits holding a referendum is Brussels worst nightmare; they'd lose, and if they tried to keep asking again they'd just lose bigger and bigger. But the Czechs will be the heroes.

HOLA4414
David Cameron Hints Tories Would Not hold referendum on ratified Lisbon Treaty

Don't be ridiculous! Of course he'll hold a referendum - he'd make the whole party look like total fools if he didn't!

Isn't it enough that the Conservative Party has to carry the shame of entering the Common Market without a referendum, then all the Maastricht give-aways? To add a surrender to the Lisbon Treaty without a fight would be impossible.

Whatever are you thinking of?

Edited by a+b+c+d

HOLA4415
Don't be ridiculous! Of course he'll hold a referendum - he'd make the whole party look like total fools if he didn't!

Isn't it enough that the Conservative Party has to carry the shame of entering the Common Market without a referendum, then all the Maastricht give-aways? To add a surrender to the Lisbon Treaty without a fight would be impossible.

Totally agree, although at least the one PM to ever go and win anything from the EU was a Tory. Blair gave all that away for the Presidency didn't he?

HOLA4416

Isn't there a right-of-centre party we could vote for that is committed to ditching our membership of the European Superstate?? :rolleyes:

Come voting day you've only got two choices... Conservative, or the you-know-whos.

HOLA4417
He was interviewed on LBC this morning and I'm 90% sure he said quite clearly he would hold a referendum

http://lbc.audioagain.com/index.php?sid=1&...p;channel_id=90

podcast available here

If he says he will not hold a referendum he will lose a lot of support to UKIP, and that will make him a lying scum. I for one will not vote Conservative if they surrender to the EU!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'll put my hands up. I'm an ignoramus when it comes to EU stuff, but this sounds good so I want to understand.

What is this Lisbon Treaty? What does ratifying it mean/involve?

At the moment, from what I've read on this thread, this is a bit more than joining the euro currency and more to do with becoming a massive country like the USA.

Help me out if you could. Idiots guide and all that. Cheers.

Edited by bomberbrown

HOLA4422
Cameron has no choice, if he wants to be PM of anything meaningful he has to have a referendum otherwise he has less power than a council leader

This is probably the best answer.

If the tories ratify it they will take power just in time to see the power of the british government cease to exist and power pass on to tony Blair again.

HOLA4423

the tories will not hold a referendum

HOLA4424

Cameron presumably has good relations with the Czech presidency (the Civic democrats are part of Camerons new party in the European Parliament)

Don't rule out the Lisbon process being kicked into touch for another year or so while the Czech constitutional experts investigate more thoroughly! Then we will definitely have to have a referendum. Cameron promised, after all :lol:

HOLA4425
He said exactly that. If he gets in before it is ratified, we will have a referendum.

I really do think that Mr Cameron should observe the beating Brown will get at th polls for running roughshod over the people.

It won't be all plain sailing for the tories either,even despite the media brainwashing by murdoch into beguiling people they are the only alternative....after all he and his press-gang are the ones that manipulated the sheeple into the scourge of the blair-witch project for 12 years.

The wild oscillation between all red,all- blue is what got us into this mess.When both parties are bought an paid for by the same people it give pretty much carte blanche to follow the same programme irrespective of party.

It won't be just a beating at the polls coming,that's for sure.

You watch the response of the yanks to state failure when it comes.Even despite all the foreign soldiers drafted in to kwell the disquiet it will be a frikkin bloodbath over there.I think there is also a sizeable element within their own military that know what's going on and would be prepared to orchestrate a coup.

politicians ARE going to be hunted down and killed en masse,and foreign troops are going to be on the receiving end of a pretty heavily tooled up militia.

It's not going to exactly be like red dawn over there where such an invasion takes everybody by surprise,they are geared up for action over there and it ain't no small rag-tag band.

I suppose our politicians should be extremely thankful that:

1) we ain't armed to any great extent

2)we are considerably more reserved than our cousins across the pond.

...but it's still no exuse for taking the piss out of people.

Edited by oracle