House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tkane

Landlord Re-plastering The House And Making The House Unhabitable!

Hi,

Our landlord has this wek started to replaster the whole house (3 bed terraced) and we are living in a right mess. We agreed to it on the assumption that he would subsequently remove the minging 15yr old BLUE carpets, but he now seems to be changing his mind.

On top of that, he has now decided to paint all the walls throughout the whole house....WHITE...it is sooooo bland. I spoke to him to tell him that I'm not happy and he was having none of it and started screaming on the phone.

Is there anything we can do or is it best to just move out? (The current contract ends in Feb 2010).

PS We look after the house like if it was our own, extremely clean and he always comments on how good tenants we are.....but hes giving nothing back!!

Also, is it possible to make all the workers go and not let them back in as they are making the house unhabitable?? Would the landlord be able to do anything?

Many Thanks

Hi,

Our landlord has this wek started to replaster the whole house (3 bed terraced) and we are living in a right mess. We agreed to it on the assumption that he would subsequently remove the minging 15yr old BLUE carpets, but he now seems to be changing his mind.

On top of that, he has now decided to paint all the walls throughout the whole house....WHITE...it is sooooo bland. I spoke to him to tell him that I'm not happy and he was having none of it and started screaming on the phone.

Is there anything we can do or is it best to just move out? (The current contract ends in Feb 2010).

PS We look after the house like if it was our own, extremely clean and he always comments on how good tenants we are.....but hes giving nothing back!!

Also, is it possible to make all the workers go and not let them back in as they are making the house unhabitable?? Would the landlord be able to do anything?

Many Thanks

I am agog. I don't understand why anyone would permit this. Unless the house needs urgent attention, the LL needs to be doing this between lets not during. Is he planning to sell? What is his motivation?

I think that CAB might be the best people to ask (link in sig), you could try free legal advice (links also in sig). You have the right to quiet enjoyment and I would also check your contract to see what it says about decoration/repairs. Part of the problem will be that you have agreed to this, even if he has made difficult to live there.

You could lock the workers out or bar entry/change the locks. I assume this would be in breach of your contract and presumably the LL will react by giving you notice. The LL has no right of entry without your permission so you could stop all work until you are evicted. However that is the nuclear option as it would make things unpleasant. There is not a great deal the LL can do, beyond blustering and threats. His only real power is to give you notice.

The LL has acted like an ****, but unfortunately you are assisting his arrogant, presumptous attitude by rolling over on his demands. Always get things like this in writing at the very least. It is your home, not his. You are not his ******ing slave or free meal ticket.

Personally I would change the locks, bar the workers and look for somewhere else. I'd tell him unless he gave me a glowing reference you are not budging until he can get a court order to evict you. This would mean he would need to give you notice (2 months) then when you have not left, get an eviction order from the local court (this would take another 2 months minimum). How long a void can he stomach? I would also stop paying rent. The guy takes you for granted.

Having said that, consider your options carefully. Plan out your attack before executing. Do not do anything rash in the heat of the moment. Justice should always be meted out in a cold, calculated manner. Make sure this LL regrets the day he ever set eyes on you.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Edited by shylock

Hi,

Many Thanks

The LL only has right of access to repair issues cover by Section 11 of the 1985 LTA such as fixing leaks in the water system, central heating or repairing the fabric of the house.

Replastering and redecorating are a no no, you should never have agreed to it however it would appear you have agreed to it so I very much doubt there is any legal justification for your complaint. Why did it need replastering? secondly it is his house so he can paint what ever colour he like just not when you are living there.

I he can prove you agreed to let him do the work you are stuffed and will just have to sit it out I am afraid