House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fishman

Part Debt Jubilee In Iceland

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview...w_0_a_id=346067

The Icelandic bank formerly known as Glitnir has agreed to write down some of the debt on certain

domestic mortgages.

These mortgages were sold by the bank to homeowners using a basket of foreign currencies to take advantage of low interest rates (relative to Iceland) in Japan, UK, USA and fuelled HPI in Iceland.

The other banks may follow suit, but as yet haven't confirmed this.

I wonder how the folk that lost their savings via their IOM and Jersey accounts feel about this ?

The New World Order fascists contrived the plan to destroy Iceland. 10 years ago, per capita, it was the wealthiest nation on the planet. The globalists, determined to destroy all independent sovereign states, allowed the bankers hijack the economy and destroy their country.

Are you completely off your trolley?

Iceland punched way above its weight for a number of years due to pure GREED, and now they have been brought back to earth.

No conspiracy there, just another burst bubble.

Guest UK Debt Slave

The Icelandic bank formerly known as Glitnir has agreed to write down some of the debt on certain

domestic mortgages.

These mortgages were sold by the bank to homeowners using a basket of foreign currencies to take advantage of low interest rates (relative to Iceland) in Japan, UK, USA and fuelled HPI in Iceland.

I wonder how the folk that lost their savings via their IOM and Jersey accounts feel about this ?

I posted a link on the situation on Iceland yesterday

Their financial situation is so dire, the Icelandic parliament concluded that meeting the repayments for their debt debacle would destroy the country. All that would remain would be a few thousand trawlermen. So their parliament has basically told the international bankers to fekk off and they'll only pay what they consider the country can afford without self destructing.

The New World Order fascists contrived the plan to destroy Iceland. 10 years ago, per capita, it was the wealthiest nation on the planet. The globalists, determined to destroy all independent sovereign states, allowed the bankers hijack the economy and destroy their country.

domestic mortgages.

The folk that lost their savings should have stuck to investing in a UK bank, shouldn't they?

But - they were greedy and wanted more interest, and so didn't think that there was any risk to go with the higher reward.

What it tells me is that if you have your money in a foreign bank you are second in the pecking order.

The reason is simple. Any bank large enough to have multinational operations will involve the politicians when it fails.

The politicians will insist any domestic claims are met first, irrespective of any EU/EEA/other agreements that are in place.

The politicians will let the foreigners go to the wall before their own people because that's where the votes are. Although I don't trust the UK politicians to look after my interests much, I trust foreign politicians to look after them even less.

Keep your money in a bank that is UK based.

The folk that lost their savings should have stuck to investing in a UK bank, shouldn't they?

But - they were greedy and wanted more interest, and so didn't think that there was any risk to go with the higher reward.

It's not that simple though is it? Some parts of the Icelandic banks were UK banks until they got taken over by said Icelandic banks.

Good on them! What has the private bank debt got to do with the citizens of the country?

I agree. Cut the banksters loose. The greatest crime is the moral hazard of supporting them when they fail. Not suprisingly Gordon claimed that as his greatest achievement yesterday.

Also the wording made it sound like there was a EU based garuntee that 20,000 euros would be coved with the rest by the FSA.

6.5% was good but not on another planet at the time.

Their financial situation is so dire, the Icelandic parliament concluded that meeting the repayments for their debt debacle would destroy the country. All that would remain would be a few thousand trawlermen. So their parliament has basically told the international bankers to fekk off and they'll only pay what they consider the country can afford without self destructing.

Well a little update on the situation in Iceland..

The government in these written words is falling apart due to Icesave..

The British and the Dutch governments have refused to allow us to pay the "debt" in the manner that the Icelandic parliament concluded in august, that is 4% of annual economic growth until 2024.

From what I read, it sounds like the Icelandic banks were taken over by criminals operating a pretty effective control fraud. They used EU membership and high interest rates to sucker in savers from all over Europe, including the UK. They then blew a lot of the money in investments in companies that they themselves ran, enriching themselves in the process. And when it all imploded, the UK taxpayer has to foot the bill as the Icelandic peoples turned a blind eye to the crooks and wont make good on their willful ignorance of these crimes.

Granted, the people of Iceland cant pay. But given what they have done to the rest of the world, I wouldnt have voted for them to receive IMF loans. A fishing village is all it deserves to be.

But given what they have done to the rest of the world, I wouldnt have voted for them to receive IMF loans. A fishing village is all it deserves to be.

LOL...perhaps you should read up on some British history before judging others :P

From what I read, it sounds like the Icelandic banks were taken over by criminals operating a pretty effective control fraud. They used EU membership and high interest rates to sucker in savers from all over Europe, including the UK. They then blew a lot of the money in investments in companies that they themselves ran, enriching themselves in the process. And when it all imploded, the UK taxpayer has to foot the bill as the Icelandic peoples turned a blind eye to the crooks and wont make good on their willful ignorance of these crimes.

Granted, the people of Iceland cant pay. But given what they have done to the rest of the world, I wouldnt have voted for them to receive IMF loans. A fishing village is all it deserves to be.

The "people of Iceland" haven't done anything to the rest of the world.

A few hundred former senior employees of a fewe big Iceland-based companies and banks may have "done" some bad things.

Most of the people who got "done" were savers suck(er)ed in by very high interest rates.

Who maybe should have thought a bit more about what they were investing in and not just looked at the interest rates.

Most of the people who got "done" were savers suck(er)ed in by very high interest rates.

I thought savers "saved" and investors "invested" ?

Savers "V" risk takers .

The majority of the people in the UK who where affected by the Icelandic bank fiasco were savers .

Hence the guarantee from the authorities .

Are you completely off your trolley?

Iceland punched way above its weight for a number of years due to pure GREED, and now they have been brought back to earth.

No conspiracy there, just another burst bubble.

Yes he quite obviously is.

Iceland will have to pay back this debt, one way or another. I'm getting disgusted over the attitude of the Icelanders.

First, they were greedy and corrupt beyond belief. After the SHTF, its everybody else's fault. The EU should have stopped Iceland's crazy borrowing. The EU should have bailed out Iceland's banks. The EU should give Iceland money, or China, Russia or Norway. Why should Iceland pay back its debts? nothing to with them. Iceland is special - give it a few billion.

A journalist described them as some of the stupidest people on the planet. Seems a fair assessment.

Iceland will have to pay back this debt, one way or another. I'm getting disgusted over the attitude of the Icelanders.

First, they were greedy and corrupt beyond belief. After the SHTF, its everybody else's fault. The EU should have stopped Iceland's crazy borrowing. The EU should have bailed out Iceland's banks. The EU should give Iceland money, or China, Russia or Norway. Why should Iceland pay back its debts? nothing to with them. Iceland is special - give it a few billion.

A journalist described them as some of the stupidest people on the planet. Seems a fair assessment.

I agree with the sentiment towards those who have acted recklessly, but .... if the UK finds itself in the same position in a month or a year, I personally won't feel responsible for

1) electing the wrong government

2) borrowing too much

3) consuming too much

4) buying an overpriced house

etc

because I personally have done none of these things. So in the same way, no doubt there are some in Iceland who see no reason to pay for other people's excesses and mistakes.

He's off his trolley? From someone who says he can't wait to get the swine flu jab! You're having a laugh, mate.

Denis Healey, once of bushy eyebrows fame, former Chancellor and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, co -founder of the Bilderberg Group along with, amongst others, the Nazi Prince Bernhard, once wrote: 'World events do not occur by accident:

They are made to happen, whether it is to do with national issues or commerce; and most of them are staged and managed by those who hold the purse strings.'

Pro rata wise, Iceland has more Bilderbergers than any other country worldwide. A close second is Ireland, the world's most indebted nation by GDP.

You might be right: no conspiracy, just one of those shoulder-shrugging coincidences.

QFT, an excellent and accurate assessment of the situation.

... Ireland, the world's most indebted nation by GDP.

You might be right: no conspiracy, just one of those shoulder-shrugging coincidences.

I would have thought Italy and Japan had more national debt by GDP than Ireland.