HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I will be using the time-tested solution of:

- randomly and suddenly find out I can't see anything on the TV

- flick round a few times, turning it on/off, to no avail

- vaguely remembering there's something about retuning

- pressing every button on my remote until something happens

If stuck, go online and ask on a forum which button I should press.

I've no idea what's going on really... or if it even means me.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
A lot of old freeview boxes could fail after the retune. It's something to do with a split nit table that is transmitted and at best renumbers itv/channel4 channels as 800 and above.

Don't know why, but on my box, the ones stored as 1, 2 , 3 etc, all have rubbish pictures. They are also all stored as 800, 801, etc, and these are perfect.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Wonder what the reaction will be in December, when Freeview HD channels starts, but which will not be able to be picked up by any new LCD HD tvs with built in tuners for sale today!!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/26/freeview_hd_arrival/

:rolleyes:

Didn't know that!

Not that I'm interested in having HD, or Sky for that matter as I am not fetishistic about wtaching the latest import from HBO featuring another set of stars I have never heard of.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Integrated freeview?

damn it, have people learned nothing from audio? Buy separates, then if one bit screws up you can just replace it without throwing everything else out too.Jeopardising a multi-hundred quid telly for a freeview component you can get for a tenner at asda seems ludicrous.

my £15 freeview box managed it fine - Menu > Installation > Manual > Find Channels

As for the bloke asking why channels 800+ were clearer than 1+, the freeview receiver can often pick up signals from multiple transmitters, the one's at 800+ are usually channels from the more distant transmitters

HOLA4417

Sony just called me back to confirm my Sony Freeview CRT will be buggered if I try retuning today (or any other time) due to it requiring an firmware update. They've said they'll pay any labour charge for an authorised rep to apply this via the CAM (?) but firmly blamed the govt. and Digital UK for messing around with the channels. The alternative being to get a set top box which they refused to pay for since they apparently don't make them.

It's more forced obsolescence imho. Something this govt. is rather good at.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Sony just called me back to confirm my Sony Freeview CRT will be buggered if I try retuning today (or any other time) due to it requiring an firmware update. They've said they'll pay any labour charge for an authorised rep to apply this via the CAM (?) but firmly blamed the govt. and Digital UK for messing around with the channels. The alternative being to get a set top box which they refused to pay for since they apparently don't make them.

It's more forced obsolescence imho. Something this govt. is rather good at.

If they will pay for the CRT retuning go for it.

They used to make freeview boxes but guess they just make the TVs now.

HOLA4420
If they will pay for the CRT retuning go for it.

They used to make freeview boxes but guess they just make the TVs now.

I'm going to see what the engineer says TMT and how much it costs, but I think you're right. The fallback is just to buy a set top box.

So on these new fangled LCD tvs does freeview not come in the set? You have to buy a separate box?

Edit: Ok, Ch 5, ITV 3 and 4 have disappeared. I can live with that.

HOLA4421
Wonder what the reaction will be in December, when Freeview HD channels starts, but which will not be able to be picked up by any new LCD HD tvs with built in tuners for sale today!!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/26/freeview_hd_arrival/

:rolleyes:

I'm surprised there wern't riots when colour television was introduced. I mean all those people with black and white tellies found they couldn't get a colour picture! And TVs were relatively more expensive then.

HOLA4422
I'm going to see what the engineer says TMT and how much it costs, but I think you're right. The fallback is just to buy a set top box.

So on these new fangled LCD tvs does freeview not come in the set? You have to buy a separate box?

Edit: Ok, Ch 5, ITV 3 and 4 have disappeared. I can live with that.

On all new flatscreen TVs the freeview comes as a chip within the TV - well, on the major brands they do. Perhaps the cheap ones on sale in supermarkets do not have them. Usually says if it does on the box. It costs pence though - a friend bought a nice portable flatscreen with freeview in Tesco for 90 quid the other day.

My eyesight has gone to buggery since I went from CRT to flatscreen 2 years ago.

I think flatscreens are a con as they are like PCs now - they do not last half as long as CRTs and they are contantly being upgraded... For example, PS3 / Xbox games used to be playable at 50mhz and most flatscreens are 50mhz so no problem... but now newer games are 100 mhz so you need a 100 mhz flatscreen not to get judder... Now TV companies are bringing out 200 mhz flatscreens so, by the end of next year, I suspect all the newest games will be 200 mhz - the feckers have got us into an upgrade cycle...

My previous TV - Sony Trinitron CRT lasted about 11 years before dying. Fabulous TV almost to the end.

HOLA4423
I'm surprised there wern't riots when colour television was introduced. I mean all those people with black and white tellies found they couldn't get a colour picture! And TVs were relatively more expensive then.

The difference is that the colour signal was totally compatible with the existing monochrome receivers. :huh:

HOLA4424
My previous TV - Sony Trinitron CRT lasted about 11 years before dying. Fabulous TV almost to the end.

I got a JVC CRT from about 2001! Still gives a smashing picture, with none of the blur I can see on the flat screens!

What a pity we are encourged to "upgrade" to technology which will be gone before the product fails!

Probably why I do not have DAB radio. It's crap, and it's obsolete already.

HOLA4425
The difference is that the colour signal was totally compatible with the existing monochrome receivers. :huh:

Maybe if you got really technical you could argue that was a difference.

But just as monochrome can't process the colour component of the signal but is otherwise unaffected, most existing Freeview DTT tuners won't be able to process the HD stream but will be otherwise unaffected.

Archived