House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Freeview Re-tune May Stop Tvs Working Tomorrow

Heads up - If there are any techies who know how to resolve this please chip in.

I have a 4-5 year old Sony widescreen CRT tv with built in freeview tuner.

It works perfectly, I get all the freeview channels and it's a great picture.

Now, that annoying message that pops up telling you to re-tune from lunchtime tomorrow (30.9). I happened to click on the BBC link with details of some TVs and set top boxes which may not work or require a 'fix'.

Mine is on it.

What it says is that if the TV hasn't had an OAD (over air download??) then if you re-tune it tomorrow or thereafter it will freeze during tuning and IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO TUNE IT AT ALL.

I spoke to the Sony helpline - they confirmed NOT to re-tune it or it will freeze half- way through retuning, won't complete and so won't be watcheable after tomorrow or the major switchover on 4th November (in my area).

Sony's 'fix' is to get a man out who can 'fix' it - but at my cost.

Anyone thoughts? I was hoping not to buy another set top box (since it's an integrated TV) and am pretty p1ssed off with Sony's response to be honest. I'm waiting for a more senior bod to call me back.

Anyway, if you're in the situation you may wish to check the list and make sure your box/tv will still be tuneable. :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8280067.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs...09_freeview.pdf

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about your TV. That is quite shocking. I suspect that there will be vast numbers who think their TVs will be fine who will find out too late.

I fear for elderly and disabled people who do rely on their TVs... No doubt some dubious types with gain financially from this.

I have no idea whether these will work or not so try at your own peril.

1. Simply switch off the automatice download option and do not retune tomorrow - wait and see what channels you get.

2. Is it possible to go to Tescos and buy a freeview box for 20 or 30 quid and then use that as your digital freeview source? I assume that would be cheaper than a Sony boy calling round. No idea whether it would work or not - do you have an option in settings to disable the in-built freeview tuner?

Best of luck.

I wonder how often these "retuning" stints will happen in the future? Thus potentially knackering your expensive tele..

These sorts of stories of thing puts me off being an integrated TV... I think i'd rather have a separate set top box & TV, so if freeview tuner becomes obsolete, then you dont have to potentially replace the whole lot, or to get it fixed, it'll cost you the price of several set top boxes..

2. Is it possible to go to Tescos and buy a freeview box for 20 or 30 quid and then use that as your digital freeview source? I assume that would be cheaper than a Sony boy calling round. No idea whether it would work or not - do you have an option in settings to disable the in-built freeview tuner?

If the fix is going to be quite expensive, (and if its possible) then i'd buy a separate box, then put it through SCART or whatever, and use that as the main input source...

I have no idea whether these will work or not so try at your own peril.

1. Simply switch off the automatice download option and do not retune tomorrow - wait and see what channels you get.

Best of luck.

Cheers TMT - Sony helpline said not to re-tune, so i'm going to try your option 1 first and see what happens.

I think option 2. is probably going to end up being the solution. i.e. buy a set top box. I'm not sure how it works with the integrated one in the TV so I'll have to borrow one and try it first I think. It was the fact that the very act of re-tuning causes it to 'freeze' that will catch people out.

It's a bugger though - I'm sure there will be millions of older people especially who are caught by this either tomorrow or next month. My parents simply can't understand it at all. I've put set top boxes in for them but they can't work out the colour coded system at all (red button etc). The BBC advert yesterday said "if you have any difficulty just go to the website :rolleyes: ". They're in their 80s ffs. It's going to be a total shambles.

Log on here and post your problem if you can't find a thread on your model of sony freeview telly.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/

Should get answer pretty quick as loads of TV related geeks hang out here including BBC/ITV engineers.

Spotted this on first page of "Technical"

The case of "digital TVs"/IDTVs with cathode ray tubes (CRT) is more hopeful than that of separate STBs. Both Sony and Panasonic have produced updated firmware which can be installed either as a DIY operation (via the TV's "Common Interface" slot) or at a service centre. It is also possible to update firmware by including it within the TV signal ("OAD") but typically each manufacturer arranges an OAD very occasionally e.g. between 0-2 times per annum.

Having had the new version firmware installed, the TV will be safe to re-tune - and will detect all Freeview stations available.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1127863

You may also have recourse under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (and various amendments thereafter) as the item you bought would appear to not be 'fit for purpose'. You have up to 6 years to claim. Your dispute would be with the retailer though, not with Sony. The retailer must repair, replace or refund at their descretion.

Have a chat with your local Trading Standards team.

What a pisser.

You never had this problem with the old tellies.

And, speaking as one who has had analogue switch-off, the stronger digital signal as a result is a lie. Fiver and Five US are now unwatchable and Virgin breaks up.

They have clearly turned down the signal. Lying *****s.

Heads up - If there are any techies who know how to resolve this please chip in.

I have a 4-5 year old Sony widescreen CRT tv with built in freeview tuner.

It works perfectly, I get all the freeview channels and it's a great picture.

Now, that annoying message that pops up telling you to re-tune from lunchtime tomorrow (30.9). I happened to click on the BBC link with details of some TVs and set top boxes which may not work or require a 'fix'.

Mine is on it.

What it says is that if the TV hasn't had an OAD (over air download??) then if you re-tune it tomorrow or thereafter it will freeze during tuning and IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO TUNE IT AT ALL.

I spoke to the Sony helpline - they confirmed NOT to re-tune it or it will freeze half- way through retuning, won't complete and so won't be watcheable after tomorrow or the major switchover on 4th November (in my area).

Sony's 'fix' is to get a man out who can 'fix' it - but at my cost.

Anyone thoughts? I was hoping not to buy another set top box (since it's an integrated TV) and am pretty p1ssed off with Sony's response to be honest. I'm waiting for a more senior bod to call me back.

Anyway, if you're in the situation you may wish to check the list and make sure your box/tv will still be tuneable. :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8280067.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs...09_freeview.pdf

Can't you just check and see if there is a download available, install it then retune?

You may also have recourse under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (and various amendments thereafter) as the item you bought would appear to not be 'fit for purpose'. You have up to 6 years to claim. Your dispute would be with the retailer though, not with Sony. The retailer must repair, replace or refund at their descretion.

Have a chat with your local Trading Standards team.

I'm not convinced that this is a goer. How are you going to show that the TV isn't fit for its purpose? The TV works fine, it's the fact that the government have re-allocated the channels which is causing the problems. It would be like claiming your car isn't fit for purpose if the government decided to enforce a reformulation of petrol which wouldn't work in your vehicle.

I'm not convinced that this is a goer. How are you going to show that the TV isn't fit for its purpose? The TV works fine, it's the fact that the government have re-allocated the channels which is causing the problems. It would be like claiming your car isn't fit for purpose if the government decided to enforce a reformulation of petrol which wouldn't work in your vehicle.

That's exactly what Sony helpline told me. "Our TV works correctly - It is OFCOM who have changed the way the signal is transmitted". Re your other point I'm not sure how to check what OAD is the right one etc. What I've decided to do is NOT re-tune and see what happens and which channels I lose. Then see what happens during the analogue switch over which for us is early Nov. Reading some of the links above it seems that there has been some long-standing issue with earlier Sony Freeview sets and the allocation of channels by OFCOM. I'm the sort of person that keeps stuff until it falls apart so I'm hoping to get it resolved by a firmware fix if one is available and I'll try to get Sony to pay for it if there's a cost.

I hope it doesn't cause too many people a problem tomorrow, but I have a feeling it may do - especially the elderly. They appear to be throwing money at information booklets through the post for pensioners (my parents have had about 5) urging them to get 'help' at £40 per set for a home installed set top box. Not an insignificant cost to many pensioners who are having this forced upon them.

What a pisser.

You never had this problem with the old tellies.

And, speaking as one who has had analogue switch-off, the stronger digital signal as a result is a lie. Fiver and Five US are now unwatchable and Virgin breaks up.

They have clearly turned down the signal. Lying *****s.

With Digital you will have more content, and better quality! At least that's what we are told.. :blink:

Got a quote from the local Sony repair agent.

£75 to upgrade the 'CAM' in my Sony freeview TV to enable it to re-tune on 4th November vs around £30 for a new set top box.

So that's one less decision to make.