House Price Crash Forum
D.C.

Council Tax Going Up Again Then

http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Governmen...-sort-equal-pay

<h3 class="article-title">Councils given go-ahead to raise £500 million 'to sort equal pay'</h3> Published by Jon Land for 24dash.com in Local Government

Tuesday 29th September 2009 - 2:11pm

Thousands of underpaid workers stand to get half a billion pounds in backdated equal pay settlements in another major step towards ending years of unfairness, Communities Secretary John Denham announced today.

Thirty-seven councils are being given the go ahead by John Denham to borrow against or sell assets up to £501m so they can meet and manage the one-off costs of settling their equal pay promises faster.

Today’s announcement - welcomed by local authorities and trade unions - will assist councils to accelerate their equal pay commitments. This will help councils to pay many thousands of employees - mostly women on low pay - the backdated pay promises that they are still owed.

Since 2006 central government has given English councils permission to raise over £1.6bn for equal pay costs under a process known as equal pay capitalisation.

John Denham said: “Work of equal value deserves equal pay for every employee in any job, and that includes local government. Thousands of council workers - women in particular - have lost out because of historically unequal pay arrangements, some of which have persisted for years.

“Councils and unions are working hard to right this wrong and this Government wants to do everything it can to see the playing field levelled as fast as possible. Today I am authorising councils to raise a further £501m to deliver that promise faster - this will take the amount we have permitted to more than £1.6bn.

“This latest settlement means that the council involved will be able to continue to make these payments without having to sacrifice public service levels or increase council tax.â€

Dave Prentis, UNISON General Secretary, said: “This announcement is a big step forward, and will allow more councils across the country finally to close the gap between pay rates for men and women.

"We welcome the Government’s continued commitment to allowing councils to raise cash to fund equal pay in this way. It shows they have been listening to our advice about how they can help local authorities meet the equal pay challenge.

“Ending the injustice of unequal pay for women is one of the most important issues for UNISON, and for our one million women members. In the 21st century it cannot be right that some women still get paid less than a male colleague in the same job, or in a job of equal value.

“UNISON will continue to work hard to tackle the gender pay gap. We know that collective bargaining, as opposed to lengthy court action, is the best way to bring about equal and fair pay for all.â€

Thirty-seven councils are being given the go ahead by John Denham to borrow against or sell assets up to £501m so they can meet and manage the one-off costs of settling their equal pay promises faster.

Not a one off cost - firstly the additional costs are ongoing and secondly unless someone gives them zero percent loans and the loan never has to be repaid back, or they are allowed to use previously owned assets for free there will be more ongoing costs from this as well in the future.

Edited by OnlyMe

We need money in people's pockets before the next general election. Quick, sell assets, borrow...

What has democracy become?

We need money in people's pockets before the next general election. Quick, sell assets, borrow...

What has democracy become?

Who-ever said we were in a democracy.

Were not a capitalist country either.

We are a one-party fuedal state.

Guest P-Diddly
A farce?

. . . a farce.

Had calls from the front line that is Blighty. Many friends now laid off, NO WORK in the UK, nothing coming up. It's getting worse, faster and very suddenly. Mainly white collar, professional engineers etc.

The rest of us, those still doing, are spread across the globe. Andy is in Eritrea. Yes this is a guy that's been flat out in the UK all his life and now the only contract work is in some sh!thole in Africa.

A brickie mate had a sniff of a 100 house job. They demanded the rates slashed by £3m a metre (a lot apparently) so he's had to turn it down.

Some of my crew are forced to spend their lives on the golf courses of Thailand's eastern seaboard (only £14 a round and includes the caddie), waiting for a call that may never come.

How the HELL are people going to find more money for council tax? It should be going down not up.

Good question.

Government needs to realise it's living beyond the means of the people.

Perhaps people need to be made aware the 'just say yes' was just a crappy ad campaign?

I do find that people do not say no, in case they are thought of as negative, a pooper. So, we say, YES, I do not want you to feck me up the ass with a bottle? Is it a complete grammatical sea change, and I am just late to the party? If I were French, I would be saying, is it not, would it not be.

I am going to start campaigning - starting today with a T shirt with the word NO written on it.

While I am at it - I am sick of this positive crud! Jeezus, do we even get a chance to say no on our multiple choice questions. Right I just threw up in my mouth, again.

Edited by Tonkers

Guest P-Diddly
What happened to the word 'NO'

Good question.

Government needs to realise it's living beyond the means of the people.

Guest P-Diddly
Perhaps people need to be made aware the 'just say yes' was just a crappy ad campaign?

I do find that people do not say no, in case they are thought of as negative, a pooper. So, we say, YES, I do not want you to feck me up the ass with a bottle? Is it a complete grammatical sea change, and I am just late to the party? If I were French, I would be saying, is it not, would it not be.

I am going to start campaigning - starting today with a T shirt with the word NO written on it.

While I am at it - I am sick of this positive crud! Jeezus, do we even get a chance to say no on our multiple choice questions. Right I just threw up in my mouth, again.

Yes.

Yes.

Buggertyeffingpoo. I have a baseball bat with 'I do not make idle threats' etched on to it. I think there's room for 'NO' on the other side. Or, Negatory on that burn, dude.

Guest P-Diddly
Buggertyeffingpoo. I have a baseball bat with 'I do not make idle threats' etched on to it. I think there's room for 'NO' on the other side. Or, Negatory on that burn, dude.

Yes.

What happened to the word 'NO'

I know two sets of parents who, quite deliberately, do not say the word "No" to their children and do not punish them, ever. A few years ago one of them quite proudly said that's what they did as they did not want their children to grow up in a negative atmosphere. :rolleyes:

Of course, the kids of both families are now spoilt, impolite, demanding, bullying little shits with absolutely zero respect for their own parents or other adults and we now avoid them as they are such a bad influence on our own children.

Just to cheer you all up.

I just added up the running costs of my house in Sweden and the property tax PLUS water and sewage PLUS electricity comes to under £1200.We don't live there in the winter but we use electricity at the same rate as the summer to stop it freezing.

I think that's probably less than the council tax alone on a similar property in the U.K. :o