House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Storm

Grasping At Straws

Sport 'a luxury' under the Tories

Sport and culture would be "decimated" by a Conservative government, Labour minister Ben Bradshaw has said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8280182.stm

The culture, media and sport secretary told the Labour conference the Tories would turn both into "luxuries to be paid for by those who can afford them".

Tory Mayor Boris Johnson had "let one cat out of the bag last week when he advocated charging for museums", Mr Bradshaw said.

He also claimed Labour had ensured "the best for all" since 1997.

Mr Bradshaw has previously outlined plans to share the BBC licence fee with ITV to fund regional news.

But he told the conference that Labour would "always be committed to the BBC".

He said the government planned to preserve public service television and help other broadcasters, but in contrast, a Tory election victory would spell the "death of local and regional news".

Please someone tell me I dont pay tax for the government to fund sport.

Sport and culture would be "decimated" by a Conservative government, Labour minister Ben Bradshaw has said.

You do and there is sod all you can do about it. To be fair in terms of investment cycling has done brilliantly, tennis should be cut as should anything not producing world champions.

Gordon's rebuilding the country's gold reserves one medal at a time.

Perhaps not the cheapest way, but he isn't the best with commodities. :lol:

We give the FA 25 million a year, because football is obviously skint isn't it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...--paid-yet.html

You do and there is sod all you can do about it. To be fair in terms of investment cycling has done brilliantly, tennis should be cut as should anything not producing world champions.

On that basis, there should definitely be funding for Kart racing.

culture has been decimated under Labour.

Anyone see the catch with government 'sponsored' art? Everything is rubber stamped as long as it has 40% indians in it and everyone is smiling. All BBC programs have to include all ethnic minorities as equals, regardless.

To be fair in terms of investment cycling has done brilliantly, tennis should be cut as should anything not producing world champions.

Why the fvck should I pay for a personalityless spandex-clad p1llock to pedal around in a circle? If people want to watch that, let them bloody pay for it! I'm more than happy to pay for public roads, schools, hospitals etc, all of life's essentials. But people can pay for their own hobbies!

oh I see: you don't 'do' sport so taxes shouldn't be spent on it. You should run for office!

Maybe the government should just pay for everything... Football, newspapers, umbrellas, chewing gum, shoes. Hey, why not? Don't oppress me because you don't 'do' chewing gum!

The government should provide things that the private sector would not provide efficiently/fairly and that have enough public want/need to justify the cost. We have plenty of private sector sports and people are willing to pay to watch or participate in them. Sport paid out of the public purse is for dictators.

Maybe the government should just pay for everything... Football, newspapers, umbrellas, chewing gum, shoes. Hey, why not? Don't oppress me because you don't 'do' chewing gum!

The government should provide things that the private sector would not provide efficiently/fairly and that have enough public want/need to justify the cost. We have plenty of private sector sports and people are willing to pay to watch or participate in them. Sport paid out of the public purse is for dictators.

thanks for the utterly pointless analogy.

What about sport and it's promotion as a health consideration? The private sector doesn't care about society unless the 'society angle' can make money. Government should be as much about aspiration as regulation, especially as society is falling apart. In this context aspiration does cost money.

If the government could show that £1 spent on sport saves £1.01 spent on the NHS would you agree to it?

And before you say 'well it can't be proved' I say 'the credit crunch couldn't be proved and yet we could feel it in our bones'. Some things you have to do because they feel right.

thanks for the utterly pointless analogy.

What about sport and it's promotion as a health consideration? The private sector doesn't care about society unless the 'society angle' can make money. Government should be as much about aspiration as regulation, especially as society is falling apart. In this context aspiration does cost money.

If the government could show that £1 spent on sport saves £1.01 spent on the NHS would you agree to it?

He did say he had no problem paying for schools, if you're after health/societal benefits that's the kind of grassroots level where the widest effect can be achieved IMO.

He did say he had no problem paying for schools, if you're after health/societal benefits that's the kind of grassroots level where the widest effect can be achieved IMO.

I understand that. It is right. But what about now? We have an awful lot of people who don't go to school anymore who, without something to aspire to, could become a costly drain on society.

I know, I know, we cut the taxes and let them fester, but at what cost to society?

I understand that. It is right. But what about now? We have an awful lot of people who don't go to school anymore who, without something to aspire to, could become a costly drain on society.

I know, I know, we cut the taxes and let them fester, but at what cost to society?

You mean, already are (inspite of current policies and spending).

Edited by the.ciscokid

This from the people who are spending billions on a meaningless event which could otherwise have been put into vast facilities around the country.

<!--quoteo(post=2169805:date=Sep 29 2009, 03:02 PM:name=Johnny Storm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny Storm @ Sep 29 2009, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2169805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Sport 'a luxury' under the Tories </b>

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8280182.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8280182.stm</a>

Please someone tell me I dont pay tax for the government to fund sport.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Realistically if we valued results and spin-off, it would all be in Formula 1.

Even if our drivers don't win, our teams win and even if the teams don't win, the cars are designed and built here anyway.

Unless they are Ferraris which is why this probably dropped off the radar during Schumacher's Reign Of Boredom.

Wonder what the Tories would do with the Lottery fund...?

Are you being sarcastic?

John Major set up the Lottery Fund to pay for Culture and Sport and Nulabour raided the fund partially to pay for the NHS (Blairs New Opportunity Funding).

At the time there was a lot of anger about how the money had been raided and essentially became a voluntary stealth tax.

Its rich that they accuse the Tories of taking funding away from culture and sport

Next we will hear that Tories eat babies. I'm sure Cameron will be vulnerable on this