House Price Crash Forum

Stealth Taxes

bingobob777

HOLA441
HOLA442
This'll cost me 1k a year, lovely.

Free childcare for mothers dossing about the house, allowing them to go shopping and watch the TV. Take the tax breaks away from mothers actually out working.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8279701.stm

Sorry, but if you're not poor then obviously you're not a Labour voter so will get shafted at every turn.

HOLA443
This'll cost me 1k a year, lovely.

Free childcare for mothers dossing about the house, allowing them to go shopping and watch the TV. Take the tax breaks away from mothers actually out working.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8279701.stm

Hmmm its a tricky one. If the poorer family goes to work and stops claiming benefits, doesnt that pay for itself?

HOLA444
HOLA445
At the same time, making informal childcare arrangements illegal, ie I cannot look after my neighbour's child and vice versa in a reciprocal agreement that enables us both the opportunity to work and pay tax without spending money on childcare. Nice one.

But if you do informal child care no money changes hands. If you pay for childcare money changes hands and some tax is generated. Simple?

HOLA446
HOLA447
Hmmm its a tricky one. If the poorer family goes to work and stops claiming benefits, doesnt that pay for itself?

It is for 10 hours a week to be brought in within 5 years.

Complete and utterly cynical spin.

For the mother to work only 10 hours a week she would be working for free because the marginal rate of tax for people on benefit is close to 100%. She would lose in benefit everything she earned.

HOLA448
But if you do informal child care no money changes hands. If you pay for childcare money changes hands and some tax is generated. Simple?

Not really. If a mother is given informal childcare and can hold down a job, pay taxes etc. is that not infinitely preferable to her remaining on benefits? Many people can only afford to work because of informal arrangements.

HOLA449
Not really. If a mother is given informal childcare and can hold down a job, pay taxes etc. is that not infinitely preferable to her remaining on benefits? Many people can only afford to work because of informal arrangements.

True, taxes will be paid by the mother who works no matter how the child care is arranged but if she has to pay formaly for the child care the government will get an additional cut.

HOLA4410
True, taxes will be paid by the mother who works no matter how the child care is arranged but if she has to pay formaly for the child care the government will get an additional cut.

I think the destruction of economic activity caused by the extra restriction would actually mean less tax is collected and people are poorer.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
the best stealth tax of all

British_Pound.jpg

Of course it is. Reduces real government debt at the expense of the frugal while draging more and more into higher tax bands. On the way now, Brown does not have to do anything, Brown does not have to do anything more or make any announcements. He has already done it.

Edited by Rare Bear

HOLA4415

OK, 10 years ago I had a child who was extremely unhappy with a 'formal' arrangement. I swapped her care to a friend that lived on benefits. One happy child, because she knew and trusted her carer, one happy childminder because I paid enough to offer a better lifestyle - football lessons for her son, dancing lessons for her daughter and much better food. I was happy too, to know that my daughter was in the care of someone that knew and cared for both of us.

HOLA4416
OK, 10 years ago I had a child who was extremely unhappy with a 'formal' arrangement. I swapped her care to a friend that lived on benefits. One happy child, because she knew and trusted her carer, one happy childminder because I paid enough to offer a better lifestyle - football lessons for her son, dancing lessons for her daughter and much better food. I was happy too, to know that my daughter was in the care of someone that knew and cared for both of us.

Yes, I'd much rather see a child with someone they liked and who liked the child rather than someone who just does it for the money.

HOLA4417

Don't be ridiculous, how can you be qualified to decide what's best for your own child?

HOLA4418