House Price Crash Forum

Army Recruitment Surge Due To Patriotism And Recession

HOLA441

Army recruitment surge due to patriotism and recession

Young people inspired by patriotism or facing joblessness during the recession have contributed to a surge in the number of army recruits, according to a senior officer involved in recruitment.

Ministry of Defence figures show a 25% rise in the number of recruits this year, with more signing up than at any time since 2005. This is despite the increasingly bloody conflict in Afghanistan that has claimed 81 UK lives so far this year.

Today, the MoD said a British soldier died after an explosion in Helmand, a day after two UK servicemen were killed, raising the British armed forces death toll in Afghanistan since 2001 to 218.

Despite the casualty figures, military chiefs say some young people have been inspired by patriotism to sign up.

Blah blah...

What patriotism? Most Briton's don't have the first clue about their national identity.

This is purely the result of a collapsed economy.

But really now, base army pay ain't that much greater than being on benefits, and at least you don't your limbs blown off at the job centre.

Sign of the times. And this will be happening everywhere! Military ramping up? What's next? What follows depressions?

HOLA442
Blah blah...

What patriotism? Most Briton's don't have the first clue about their national identity.

But really now, base army pay ain't that much greater than being on benefits, and at least you don't your limbs blown off at the job centre.

Sign of the times. And this will be happening everywhere! Military ramping up? What's next? What follows depressions?

Usually war, but we're ass about face with that this time!

Agreed, nothing to do with patriotism, more a desire to break out of the minimum wage job/dole money life I suspect. I'd recommend the RAF to any intelligent young person, and if your 'not a big reader', then you could do far worse than the army. Just don't join an infantry regiment!

Base pay in the Army exceeds benefits, and you won't be on base pay for long.

HOLA443
Usually war, but we're ass about face with that this time!

Agreed, nothing to do with patriotism, more a desire to break out of the minimum wage job/dole money life I suspect. I'd recommend the RAF to any intelligent young person, and if your 'not a big reader', then you could do far worse than the army. Just don't join an infantry regiment!

Base pay in the Army exceeds benefits, and you won't be on base pay for long.

But not by much: Army pay

I'd rather take my chances down the job centre (although some of those are enough to make you take your own life).

HOLA444
HOLA445

In a purely voluntary army, economic recession is always good for recruitment. If people had good quality, highly paying jobs the armed forces would dissappear overnight. You don't need consciption when your potential targets have no options. Plenty more cannon fodder to come me thinks.

HOLA446
But not by much: Army pay

I'd rather take my chances down the job centre (although some of those are enough to make you take your own life).

Although I haven't looked for a long time, I think new entrant rate covers basic training only. You pay no billet fees, and you'll have bu**er all free time to spend it anyway!

Not much movement on Staff NCO wages for the last decade though!

HOLA447

agree about avoiding the infantry, but you can get a trade and the disposable income is great, like many jobs its what you make of it, not for everyone though,

My opinion RAF intelligent slow promoting comfey if you can get in the air great even if its "just as a loadey"

RN not so bright, promotions quicker esp if you become a tiffey, not comfey

Army quick promotions if you have the right trade, fitness a must, sports unmatched, play sports for your school then join,

not comfey

for anyone joining up its a decision, way up the choices, unfortunatly right now there might not be any, any service or the dole, no brainer.

HOLA448

Well people who join the army / navy / airforce might be in for a surprise , sure sure you can get training paid for by them (a decade ago I considered the army air corp to get a helicopter pilot licence) or easier a HGV if you work in logistics.

But I know a bloke who worked on the invincible and his first few months were spent cleaning the ship mostly

He said once that he was shown a technique where the shift leader put his hand down the U bend and scrubbed it until the scourer came back clean. Of course he used a CLEAN toilet to do this and show you he said., the worse nights he had was when the ship got some shore leave and predictably ALL went on the town and came back and made a mess of the ship when over 1000 crew members marines and airmen make a mess of the toilets he'd tell me there would literally be piles and piles of cack. Worse days where when the ship was in heavy seas as this also caused piles of cack as people would miss the bowl and it would land on the floor and roll about.

HOLA449
Guest skullingtonjoe
Army recruitment surge due to patriotism and recession

Blah blah...

What an utterly shoddy piece of journalism. Again, what patriotism? More like a choice: benefits or the military. :rolleyes:

HOLA4410

My contract is up next month. I'm applying to other engineering firms, but also to the police force and possibly also the RAF - long commitment that, though. Pros - pension, good money (£30k start for engineer officer), bit of travel to the good places, do things others will never do in their lives, keep fit, everything heavily subsidised. Cons - life signed away for a long time, not great if you have a girlfriend or family I reckon, travel to the bad places, I saw Wounded the other night.

Edited by thomasross20

HOLA4411
Well people who join the army / navy / airforce might be in for a surprise , sure sure you can get training paid for by them (a decade ago I considered the army air corp to get a helicopter pilot licence) or easier a HGV if you work in logistics.

But I know a bloke who worked on the invincible and his first few months were spent cleaning the ship mostly

He said once that he was shown a technique where the shift leader put his hand down the U bend and scrubbed it until the scourer came back clean. Of course he used a CLEAN toilet to do this and show you he said., the worse nights he had was when the ship got some shore leave and predictably ALL went on the town and came back and made a mess of the ship when over 1000 crew members marines and airmen make a mess of the toilets he'd tell me there would literally be piles and piles of cack. Worse days where when the ship was in heavy seas as this also caused piles of cack as people would miss the bowl and it would land on the floor and roll about.

Eh? Well, I sailed with the Canucks, and we never had a problem with the bogs, and from what I saw of the Brit hairybag ships was the same. Vacuum toilets, similar to that on an airliner.

If shit was on the deck its because some a$$hole is either to0 fat to sit on it right, or they were complete disgusting blading fvckers who have no clue about hygiene. Then again, I don't hold Brit non-com sailors in the highest of regards...

We got a few phantom shitters and pukers when we pulled into the more 'exotic' ports, but that was usually after one of the lads got a stomach full of the local 'water'.

HOLA4412
In a purely voluntary army, economic recession is always good for recruitment. If people had good quality, highly paying jobs the armed forces would dissappear overnight. You don't need consciption when your potential targets have no options. Plenty more cannon fodder to come me thinks.

easy way of getting rid of the chavs.

we can pay them less than they get on benefits and they don't clutter up our streets :lol:

in fact,I'd be quite happy to fork out a few extra quid in tax for that luxury.

Edited by oracle