House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Tories Would Send Thousands More Troops To Afghanistan

A Conservative government would increase British troop numbers in Afghanistan by up to 2,500 and deliver more helicopters, armoured vehicles and “other key battlefield enablersâ€, the Shadow Defence Secretary Liam Fox indicated today.

Claiming that continued British involvement in Afghanistan was a “national security imperativeâ€, Dr Fox told an audience at the International Institute for Strategic Studies: “A Conservative government would be sympathetic to a request for an increase in the number of British troops to help expedite the training of Afghan security forces.â€

US officials indicated that 2,000 to 2,500 British troops would “substantially speed up†the training of the Afghan National Army in a request that was rejected by the Government earlier this year. Tory officials said that a Conservative government would be "very sympathetic" to a repeat of the request.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6852695.ece

Afghanistan will not be conquered, it's people don't want it.

We are just wasting lives, we failed over 120 years ago and we'll fail again.

I disagree - Afghanistan can be won - but the political will to do what is required is lacking.

The point is being missed here. The same people who want savage cuts in public spending want to spend more on war. You can't have it both ways - either you are going to rein in public expenditure or you're not.

The point is being missed here. The same people who want savage cuts in public spending want to spend more on war. You can't have it both ways - either you are going to rein in public expenditure or you're not.

:lol: I've been saying this for ages (mostly on university fees threads FWIW, thats another one, its front and centre now because its the only place where there is the potential to sort of fudge the issue).

Everyone wants 'savage cuts' in abstract, then they stamp their feet and cry about anything concrete.

This is presumably why none of the people who are supposed to serve us feel inclined to say much specific.

Look at the battering Ed Balls got (OK, he is pretty odious) when he chanced his hand with a paltry 2 billion pound cut.

The British public at large act like children tbh, we have the politics we deserve (sadly). It isn't just Mondeo Man and friends though, have you noticed the CBI have changed their tune remarkably quickly? I was wondering how long it would take them to realise that if they actually got what they said they wanted it would hurt. A great deal.

Fine, well if you really want chips and marmalade there it is, but you aren't leaving the table until you finish it.

Personally I would not expend one British life on Afghanistan but save the energy we have left trying to revive our bankrupt nation nearer home.

Having said that I would trust a Tory government everytime to give our troops decent equipment rather than sending them out to fight in 1960s hand me downs like Liebour. Their combination of mistreating the armed services while starting pointless wars marks them down yet again as the worst government of the last century.

The US air force creates more 'greenhouse gases' than the nation of Sweden.

Going to need to scrap large portions of it if the want to lower 'emissions' , not expand it by attacking Iran.