House Price Crash Forum

Bedbugs

AteMoose

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
funny you say that, i thought a mouse ran over me last night. i jumped out of bed like a bloke with a mouse or a huge spedier in his bed, but it was just my imagination and it was the douvet gently folding in and brushing my skin.

how do you get rid of nightmares?

Are you alright? Some strange posting from you...

HOLA444
HOLA445

I thought I had them once, although in hindsight it might have been mosquitoes from the open window. I managed to move instead of getting rid of whatever was biting me.

I did know of someone who had them. Oh, that was a choice in the poll wasn't it... sorry I selected No.

HOLA446

I travel quite a bit for business and I have a routine to prevent them coming into my home.

I always check the bed in the hotel for signs (black spots in mattress).

I never put the case on the bed, always on the suitcase rack.

When I come back home, I change my clothes, wash all the ones in the case, even if I didn't wear them.

I wipe the case with a detergent (and put it in a sealed bin liner until I need it next.)

HOLA447
I travel quite a bit for business and I have a routine to prevent them coming into my home.

I always check the bed in the hotel for signs (black spots in mattress).

I never put the case on the bed, always on the suitcase rack.

When I come back home, I change my clothes, wash all the ones in the case, even if I didn't wear them.

I wipe the case with a detergent (and put it in a sealed bin liner until I need it next.)

Good precautions. I have always looked out for them since an unfortuante episode in skanky youth hostel in Mexico when I went packpacking. I was sleeping fairly heavily and did not wake up until I had been bitten many times. I counted about 130 bites in total, they were very itchy and took ages to go away. Never had the problem in decent hotels since, but I have heard that they have been found in nicer places, so its always worth keeping an eye out for the tell tale signs.

HOLA448

What`s the difference between bed bugs and fleas?

If staying at a hotel and the bed was riddled with either, how would you tell the difference? I have stayed in hotels all over the world and experienced some shitty dumps but fortunately never experienced either BB`s or fleas...

Once got bitten silly by Mozzies in a hotel in Amsterdam by a canal with the window open on a hot night. Ouch!!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
What`s the difference between bed bugs and fleas?

If staying at a hotel and the bed was riddled with either, how would you tell the difference? I have stayed in hotels all over the world and experienced some shitty dumps but fortunately never experienced either BB`s or fleas...

Once got bitten silly by Mozzies in a hotel in Amsterdam by a canal with the window open on a hot night. Ouch!!

bedbugs can infect anyone (clean or dirty), and they drink blood.

HOLA4412
went to a severe house fire once where the occupants had tried to get rid of bed lice by using a blowtorch across a horsehair mattress. Got rid of the bed lice though with most of the house

took out a line of ants with a lit deodorant can at uni.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Got them in my current house. Thankfully confined to one bedroom (I think/hope?). Regular applications of hoover (it is fun watching them splat against the transparent wall of the cyclone whatsit), pouring hot water over affected woodwork and thankfully the colder weather seems to be keeping them under control.

I think they are in the mattress though - which since it's the landlords there's a limit to what I can do to irradicate the buggers.

Another thing to worry about when choosing the next rental/house purchase I guess.

Amsterdam is terrible for mozzies. I think bugs of all kinds seem to be on the increase.

HOLA4415

Bed bugs are becoming am increasing problem everywhere. Someone I know in the pest control business says they are getting increasing requests to clear the problem both private and commercial work...Some people might not even notice they have been bitten, but if you are allergic to the bites the reaction to them can be very bad, swollen itchy skin and weeping blisters, not nice at all...contrary to popular belief they do not live in the bed, they can live in and around the bed, headboard, base skirtingboard and come out early morning to bite their victims for an early morning feast, they leave droppings on the bed sheets that look like spots of blood...if you find you have them I recommend you get professional help to irradiate them.

Good luck. ;)

HOLA4416
Bed bugs are becoming am increasing problem everywhere. Someone I know in the pest control business says they are getting increasing requests to clear the problem both private and commercial work...Some people might not even notice they have been bitten, but if you are allergic to the bites the reaction to them can be very bad, swollen itchy skin and weeping blisters, not nice at all...contrary to popular belief they do not live in the bed, they can live in and around the bed, headboard, base skirtingboard and come out early morning to bite their victims for an early morning feast, they leave droppings on the bed sheets that look like spots of blood...if you find you have them I recommend you get professional help to irradiate them.

Good luck. ;)

Thanks, it is interesting that 8 out of the 24 responses in the poll have come into contact with bed bugs. It is rapidly growing problem, in a couple of years will we all be sleeping in mosi nets?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Never had them myself but my mum and sister got badly bitten on the ferry between Fishguard and Rosslare a few years ago (I was in the bar with my dad at the time ;) ).

One thing that is an epidemic and hardly discussed is headlice. My kids were tormented by them for years as no matter how many times we killed them off the lack of control at school meant they would just get reinfected. Bring back the Nit Nurse!

Archived