House Price Crash Forum

Weight Loss Plan

the_dork

HOLA441

OK so I’m about 6†and measuring a heft 13 st 8, at least a stone over what I was last time I weighed myself in April. I should really be less than that but I have quite a large frame so a stone is the target.

My main motivation is not exactly vanity but the knowledge that if I don’t act now, I’ll carry on up and up. I have enough willpower to lose this but my dad, who weighs at least 2 stone more and is shorter has no motivation any more, just wants to die happy even if a bit younger!

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on my general plan

1) Have breakfast. Instantly realised that this isn’t a good place to compromise on calories as starvation mode ensues. Just a small bowl of healthy cereal, but preferably a bit of protein-kippers, sardines, sausages, grilled bacon etc.

2) 5 small meals with the absolute latest at 7.30 pm. Snack mid morning, late lunch, late afternoon snack, evening meal.

3) More protein. I’m not going Atkins style but I do think I’d benefit from having less carbs and more protein. I read somewhere that protein together with carbs isn’t a great idea, does anyone know any more about this?

4) Portion sizes-I never realised what a pig I was with portions until I’ve tried having less, I really only need half the rice or pasta to feel full! Sounds simple but I always just wolfed down whatever was made. Never let myself get too hungry (the staged meals helps)

5) I don’t drink coffee/tea or smoke, but I have also cut out the fruit juice-way too calorific, and have alcohol one night a week. I had over the summer developed the bad habit of 3 or 4 beers, probably five nights a week, plus wine with meals. All unnecessary and easy calories

6) There are a few other foods which are kind of healthy but essentially a waste of calories. I had a banana a day more or less but these are 150 cals, so are supposedly healthy yoghurts-too much for food that doesn’t fill you.

7) Don’t cut out all ‘treats’. The main reason I eat fatty unhealthy food is pure laziness. I was buying supermarket sandwiches and never realised quite how bad these were. Equally, I can live without crisps/biscuits/pizza etc, I only ate these as they were convenient and easy to have at work or in a rush with no time to cook properly. I don’t miss them at all, easily replaced with healthy snacks and more carefully prepared meals.

8) What I do miss is my sugar fix-previously obtained through sweets (as well as fruit). I can now get it with just fruit but I do still yearn for chocolate. I plan on buying a nice expensive dark chocolate and making it last as long as possible. (I once went out with a girl who when in a bad mood-normally because of me-would buy chocolate and see how long she couldn’t eat it for. Despite her nuttiness I can kind of see the logic) Max 2 squares at a time but I have gone 5 days without now

9) Exercise. This is the tough one for me, I like sports but haven’t really done anything for years. My initial plans are just calorie burning, pure and simple but I want to make sure I am as effective as possible with my limited time. I will consider moving to weights but at the moment, I’m psychologically stuck on burning cals. I aim to walk all my lunch break, covering 3 or 4 miles which should be at least 250 calories. Then I am looking to go running, 5 times a week. I enjoy this whilst the weather is ok, I realise I may have to fork out for a gym eventually but can avoid for now. I am really wondering on timing-I don’t mind going early but I’ve heard this is not always great as you’ve just got up and are running on empty. Equally, going in the evening is likely to a) not be as stuck to and B) lead to me eating later which is also bad. Also, I’ve been doing slower sessions for longer, covering about 4 to 5 miles in 30-40 minutes. Might it be better trying to speed up even if I end up doing only say 3 miles. I;ve heard that it is 20 minutes until you start burning fat, is this correct.? At the same time, I’ve also heard about HIIT being effective but my risk is that my lungs/muscles aren’t in great shape so I might be too tired before actually reaching HIIT.

10) Drink 5 litres of water/day

Meals as discussed, aiming for a bit more protein and not to have sandwiches every day for lunch. Soup is good as liquid calories stay in stomach, also salad. Will aim to have lunch as the carb meal with the others more balanced.

My pound a week target would see me lose the stone by xmas but I’ve started with such determination that I’d hope to lose 2 pounds each for the next few weeks. I can comfortably feel not hungry on about 1700-1800, so adding the exercise should see me easily 500-1000 short of the sustaining calories I presumably need. Any thoughts/advice on all this?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This is actually quite a handy thread considering another one on the go (About carbs etc..)

Your reasons for being overwieght seem to fit in with what a few of us think is the case for the majority.

As for advice ? Fitness/exercise wise - find something you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy it you will give it up. 100% guaranteed. If you don't like running in all weather conditions ? Forget it. Find something else you have a passion for. It seems that may be difficult for you readon your post. What about the sports you used to do ? Any one of them you could take back up ?

Good luck.

HOLA445
It's a common misconception that eating later in the evening results in weight gain.

Eating at night myth 'exploded'

:lol:

That article should be entitled "Eating at night myth 'exploded' for female monkeys".

Everyone, and I mean everyone I know who eats late at night except my 16 yo stepdaughter who has some kind of thyroid issue so isn't useful for comparison, is fat.

Granted, there may be other reasons, the link may not be direct.

HOLA446
:lol:

That article should be entitled "Eating at night myth 'exploded' for female monkeys".

Everyone, and I mean everyone I know who eats late at night except my 16 yo stepdaughter who has some kind of thyroid issue so isn't useful for comparison, is fat.

Granted, there may be other reasons, the link may not be direct.

I eat constantly - and I am not fat. Yet. :lol:

HOLA447
OK so I’m about 6†and measuring a heft 13 st 8, at least a stone over what I was last time I weighed myself in April. I should really be less than that but I have quite a large frame so a stone is the target.

My main motivation is not exactly vanity but the knowledge that if I don’t act now, I’ll carry on up and up. I have enough willpower to lose this but my dad, who weighs at least 2 stone more and is shorter has no motivation any more, just wants to die happy even if a bit younger!

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on my general plan

1) Have breakfast. Instantly realised that this isn’t a good place to compromise on calories as starvation mode ensues. Just a small bowl of healthy cereal, but preferably a bit of protein-kippers, sardines, sausages, grilled bacon etc.

2) 5 small meals with the absolute latest at 7.30 pm. Snack mid morning, late lunch, late afternoon snack, evening meal.

3) More protein. I’m not going Atkins style but I do think I’d benefit from having less carbs and more protein. I read somewhere that protein together with carbs isn’t a great idea, does anyone know any more about this?

4) Portion sizes-I never realised what a pig I was with portions until I’ve tried having less, I really only need half the rice or pasta to feel full! Sounds simple but I always just wolfed down whatever was made. Never let myself get too hungry (the staged meals helps)

5) I don’t drink coffee/tea or smoke, but I have also cut out the fruit juice-way too calorific, and have alcohol one night a week. I had over the summer developed the bad habit of 3 or 4 beers, probably five nights a week, plus wine with meals. All unnecessary and easy calories

6) There are a few other foods which are kind of healthy but essentially a waste of calories. I had a banana a day more or less but these are 150 cals, so are supposedly healthy yoghurts-too much for food that doesn’t fill you.

7) Don’t cut out all ‘treats’. The main reason I eat fatty unhealthy food is pure laziness. I was buying supermarket sandwiches and never realised quite how bad these were. Equally, I can live without crisps/biscuits/pizza etc, I only ate these as they were convenient and easy to have at work or in a rush with no time to cook properly. I don’t miss them at all, easily replaced with healthy snacks and more carefully prepared meals.

8) What I do miss is my sugar fix-previously obtained through sweets (as well as fruit). I can now get it with just fruit but I do still yearn for chocolate. I plan on buying a nice expensive dark chocolate and making it last as long as possible. (I once went out with a girl who when in a bad mood-normally because of me-would buy chocolate and see how long she couldn’t eat it for. Despite her nuttiness I can kind of see the logic) Max 2 squares at a time but I have gone 5 days without now

9) Exercise. This is the tough one for me, I like sports but haven’t really done anything for years. My initial plans are just calorie burning, pure and simple but I want to make sure I am as effective as possible with my limited time. I will consider moving to weights but at the moment, I’m psychologically stuck on burning cals. I aim to walk all my lunch break, covering 3 or 4 miles which should be at least 250 calories. Then I am looking to go running, 5 times a week. I enjoy this whilst the weather is ok, I realise I may have to fork out for a gym eventually but can avoid for now. I am really wondering on timing-I don’t mind going early but I’ve heard this is not always great as you’ve just got up and are running on empty. Equally, going in the evening is likely to a) not be as stuck to and B) lead to me eating later which is also bad. Also, I’ve been doing slower sessions for longer, covering about 4 to 5 miles in 30-40 minutes. Might it be better trying to speed up even if I end up doing only say 3 miles. I;ve heard that it is 20 minutes until you start burning fat, is this correct.? At the same time, I’ve also heard about HIIT being effective but my risk is that my lungs/muscles aren’t in great shape so I might be too tired before actually reaching HIIT.

Meals as discussed, aiming for a bit more protein and not to have sandwiches every day for lunch. Soup is good as liquid calories stay in stomach, also salad. Will aim to have lunch as the carb meal with the others more balanced.

My pound a week target would see me lose the stone by xmas but I’ve started with such determination that I’d hope to lose 2 pounds each for the next few weeks. I can comfortably feel not hungry on about 1700-1800, so adding the exercise should see me easily 500-1000 short of the sustaining calories I presumably need. Any thoughts/advice on all this?

All sounds good except do some weights first to build up the muscles. Then the calorie stuff. It's more efficient.

When it rains, go swimming and do at least 600m to 1k at as fast a pace as you can manage.

If you rely on running in the rain in a UK winter you'll fall by the wayside.

If you have a spine, you'll do it easily. ;)

HOLA448

Running is the best exercise bang for your buck i.e. calories burned per minute of exercise, so if you are pushed for time or busy it's definitely good. Cross-training is the best non-impact exercise. Cycling is also good but if you don't have a convenient park next door you'll need to use a machine because with all the stop-start in towns you'll hardly get your heart rate up.

Basically you want to get your heart rate up to at least 135 in the first 8-10 mins of exercise and then stay there for as long as you can but a minimum of 15 minutes really. That's the fat burning zone and the longer you stay there the more will come off. It doesn't matter how fast you are running as long as you're "in the zone" and staying there.

Good luck.

HOLA449
Running is the best exercise bang for your buck i.e. calories burned per minute of exercise, so if you are pushed for time or busy it's definitely good. Cross-training is the best non-impact exercise. Cycling is also good but if you don't have a convenient park next door you'll need to use a machine because with all the stop-start in towns you'll hardly get your heart rate up.

Basically you want to get your heart rate up to at least 135 in the first 8-10 mins of exercise and then stay there for as long as you can but a minimum of 15 minutes really. That's the fat burning zone and the longer you stay there the more will come off. It doesn't matter how fast you are running as long as you're "in the zone" and staying there.

Good luck.

The fat burning zone is another myth from the 80s. To burn most fat you are best doing High Intensity Interval Training or Weight Training as these keep your metabolism revved after you stop exercise as your body repairs the asskicking you gave it. Cardio at a heart rate of 130bpm does not have this elevated post-exercise component.

It's no wonder people fail at diets when myths keep getting perpetuated.

Eating at night is no problem. It's all about calories in versus calories out. However the quality of the calories, and protein intake, will determine whether it is fat you lose or also lean mass (the latter will crash your metabolism. If you do no resistance training and don't eat 150g+ protein per day you will lose muscle mass and have a wrecked metabolism making it harder to keep the weight off.

You would just end up looking like a smaller version of your current self and "skinny fat". No muscle but moobs and a saggy belly.

You don't need to eat lots of small meals. 2000 calories over 2 meals or 2000 calories over 6 meals is exactly the same for your bosy. No difference at all.

You need a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. SO aim for a deficit of 500-1000 perday. 500cals from diet, and 500cals from exercise is ideal.

You cant spot reduce bodyfat or exercise to make it come off in a certain place first. It will come off in the opposite order to hich it went on in the first place.

Good luck!

HOLA4410

Eat slower. It gives your stomach time to register when it is full.

5 litres, that sounds an awful lot!!! Granted the body often confuses thirst with hunger, but the way around that is when you feel hungry have a glass of water, and if you still feel hungry 15 minutes later then you really are hungry.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Doing what?

Randombear is talking about the mythical "fat burning zone" of 120-140 heartbeats per minute.

Of course I should have clarified that the biggest battle is doing exercise vs not doing exercise. Once you decide you do it, you've made the biggest step, deciding what sort of exercise you do is a much smaller factor in the route to weight loss. However HIIT trumps steady-state cardio every time.

HOLA4414
Doing what?

The fat burning zone thing - basically getting yourself into a decent heart rate zone 135-140 at least preferably and then staying there for a long time. Actually to be honest myself and Pick It Down are talking much of the same thing since the best way to stay in that zone for a long time is to do circuits or as he says high intensity interval training. I don't think just weights will cut it honestly, you'll get muscly but not lose much bulk.

A mix will have the best results, and that makes perfect sense since all exercise has diminishing returns. What I used to do was run 5 km as fast as possible (usually 23-25 mins) then do a resistance and weights session interspersed with 5 minute bursts on a cycle trainer. So something like:-

Run

Squats with weights, 15 then 12 then 10

5 mins cycle

Bicep Curl, 15 then 12 then 10

5 mins cycle

Chest Press, 12 then 10 then 8

5 mins cycle

Shoulder press, 20 then 15 then 12

Tricep Dips x 20

Plank x 1 minute (rising as you get better)

Takes just under an hour total and keeps you interested enough.

Obviously everything that Pick It Up said with regards to calories deficits is absolutely spot on - it's 2 sides of the same equation - cut the calories in or increase the calories out, or best of all do both, as well as cutting fat and increasing protein. I personally wouldn't worry about carbs so much but that's just my 2 cents.

I went from 18 stone to 14 stone 6 ish doing this 3-4 times a week over 4 months.

[e] Pick It Down, I think we agree actually, 120-140 is crap, 135+ is where I consider the aerobic training zone which also burns fat. As high as possible is obviously better but how high can you keep it and still work out for an hour...

HOLA4415

Yeah, exercise is the key, and the thing I know least about, whereas diet is a bit easier. (until you start reading the crazier online theories like just eating raw eggs or whatever being best ) Never really worried about it before, used to play sports for enjoyment (racket sports, cricket, occasional football kick about) but never thought about efficiency etc. Can't really see myself getting back into these at the moment though I'd like to play some tennis next summer if I can find anywhere.

I enjoy running in the park, don't get at all bored and can measure my distances effectively (in football pitches covered). Also prefer running on grass at this stage as I don't trust my joints. I am happy to run in rain, it's the biting cold that might throw me, though I suppose we don't actually have that much snow or ice so no real excuse. I just don't think I'd have the same motivation in a gym (in fact I know so from the few occasions I've been) If it's worth trying to pack on a bit of muscle then I suppose I'll have no choice but to join.

My main concern is that I may struggle to get protein without the fatty meat sandwiches I used to buy. Any recipe suggestions on this? So far I've got tuna, lean chicken, egg salad, salmon and cheese (low fat of course). I'm presuming red meat is more or less out though I'll still have it in the morning and evening.

I would also appreciate any advice on best ways of exercising. Lower intensity for longer, or more intense and shorter?

I'm already feeling much sprightlier for doing a full hour's walk most days, adds up to more than I thought it would too

HOLA4416

I followed a simple plan to lose weight recently (3 stone)

1) Each less you fat ba*tard.

2) That's it, there is no 2.

Get some digital kitchen scales so you can track how many calories you're eating; weigh yourself daily and enter it at physicsdiet.com and keep track of a moving average of your weight to smooth out daily fluctuations. I didn't give up any foods, I just eat the same but in moderation. It really was that simple.

If you try and make massive lifestyle changes all at once and deprive yourself of something you enjoy, or leave yourself feeling knackered, then it won't last. You may lose weight in the short-term but you won't keep it off.

HOLA4417
I'm already feeling much sprightlier for doing a full hour's walk most days, adds up to more than I thought it would too

Ditto. I no longer have that mid-afternoon dip in energy after my lunchtime three mile walk.

HOLA4418
Yeah, exercise is the key, and the thing I know least about, whereas diet is a bit easier. (until you start reading the crazier online theories like just eating raw eggs or whatever being best ) Never really worried about it before, used to play sports for enjoyment (racket sports, cricket, occasional football kick about) but never thought about efficiency etc. Can't really see myself getting back into these at the moment though I'd like to play some tennis next summer if I can find anywhere.

I enjoy running in the park, don't get at all bored and can measure my distances effectively (in football pitches covered). Also prefer running on grass at this stage as I don't trust my joints. I am happy to run in rain, it's the biting cold that might throw me, though I suppose we don't actually have that much snow or ice so no real excuse. I just don't think I'd have the same motivation in a gym (in fact I know so from the few occasions I've been) If it's worth trying to pack on a bit of muscle then I suppose I'll have no choice but to join.

My main concern is that I may struggle to get protein without the fatty meat sandwiches I used to buy. Any recipe suggestions on this? So far I've got tuna, lean chicken, egg salad, salmon and cheese (low fat of course). I'm presuming red meat is more or less out though I'll still have it in the morning and evening.

I would also appreciate any advice on best ways of exercising. Lower intensity for longer, or more intense and shorter?

Most low fat cheese is ghastly. The 'high fat' stuff might not be as fatty as we are currently led to believe - Just because you have eaten it doesn't mean you have absorbed it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthabo...m/calcium.shtml

Try eating a few nuts every day, good source of protein and plenty of EFA's. Beans and pulses are also good sources and great stomach fillers.

Have you thought about having soup rather than sandwiches?

HOLA4419

Bananas are great. Morning. Pre-workout. Post-workout. Why sack the bananas man? You can still eat your fruit and lose weight, there are also many other benefits to eating your share of different fruit. Consider your health more than your looks and you will have better results and feel better long-term. Keep doing the exercise you ENJOY. If you're walking, think about a backpack with a little bit of weight (ie. a 2ltr bottle water) in it and increase it as it feels easier. You don't need to drink 5 litres water a day. But if it feels right then go with it.

If you're losing weight then that usually means part of that is fat and part of that is muscle. If you weight-train and eat protein-rich food then both of these things combined help tremendously to reduce the amount of muscle you lose, which gives your body better shape and less flabby-ness (never seen a skinny guy with a pot belly?). It's not necessary but it's a good idea. Good luck!

HOLA4420
Bananas are great. Morning. Pre-workout. Post-workout. Why sack the bananas man? You can still eat your fruit and lose weight, there are also many other benefits to eating your share of different fruit. Consider your health more than your looks and you will have better results and feel better long-term. Keep doing the exercise you ENJOY. If you're walking, think about a backpack with a little bit of weight (ie. a 2ltr bottle water) in it and increase it as it feels easier. You don't need to drink 5 litres water a day. But if it feels right then go with it.

If you're losing weight then that usually means part of that is fat and part of that is muscle. If you weight-train and eat protein-rich food then both of these things combined help tremendously to reduce the amount of muscle you lose, which gives your body better shape and less flabby-ness (never seen a skinny guy with a pot belly?). It's not necessary but it's a good idea. Good luck!

Yeah I also rate fruit, people demonise fructose but I would say the only things to avoid in your diet are trans/hydrogenated fats. Make sure you get enough protein, omega3, fruit&veg, and then the rest is up to you. Big Macs are fine so long as your nutrient needs are filled and calorie limits adhered too, it just won't keep you full as long as decent whole food. I know bodybuilders even on a cutting diet who will eat pork scratchings to keep testosterone levels up. :lol:

In general people who are overweight think they have more muscle than they do, and when they lose the weight they tend to end up disappointed unless they do weights while cutting.

I thing I'll add about losing weight. Every two or three weeks, it actually helps to have a large meal heavily carb-based (eg pizza without too much cheese, Chinese, etc) as after a long time of calorie-restriction, leptin levels drop which slows down metabolism. One large carb heavy meal boost leptins, kick starts the metabolism and lead to you overcoming a plateau.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I thing I'll add about losing weight. Every two or three weeks, it actually helps to have a large meal heavily carb-based (eg pizza without too much cheese, Chinese, etc) as after a long time of calorie-restriction, leptin levels drop which slows down metabolism. One large carb heavy meal boost leptins, kick starts the metabolism and lead to you overcoming a plateau.

This is the perfect tip after I just came home to a Chinese (not ordered by me), just what I wanted to hear!

Metabolism is a funny one isn't it. I know you can change it but there does seem to be a fair genetic element that you're stuck with. My girlfriend would eat takeaway every day if it wasn't for me, eats those madly fatty supermarket sarnies for lunch and hasn't done any exercise for years. She's not skinny but not at all overweight and I doubt she could be

HOLA4423
This is the perfect tip after I just came home to a Chinese (not ordered by me), just what I wanted to hear!

Metabolism is a funny one isn't it. I know you can change it but there does seem to be a fair genetic element that you're stuck with. My girlfriend would eat takeaway every day if it wasn't for me, eats those madly fatty supermarket sarnies for lunch and hasn't done any exercise for years. She's not skinny but not at all overweight and I doubt she could be

She must do a lot of exercise you are unaware of..... :P

On a more serious note - if anyone is really serious about losing weight and getting fit ? Run up and down hills. Start off slow, otherwise you will get injuries and pain. Take it easy and gently crank it up as part of a training regime that includes longer steady runs, shorter sprint training a bit of cycling and a wee bit of swimming. It cannot fail. Ever. Guaranteed.

I know so many people who run a lot. Do 10k runs. Even do marathons. Take them up a steep hill ? They literally collapse. 20 miles in a straight line ? No probs.1 mile straigjht up hill ? No chance.

I know people say that boxing is the tougher training. I am not so sure. Hill running must be up there. Any boxers + hill runners out there care to enlighten us ?

HOLA4424

If you're unfit and overweight you'll burn more calories for the same level of effort because of the weight and the lack of conditioning.

The rate of improvment will be very rapid at first, never to be repeated unless you lapse in fitness.

Getting fit is much more important than being the right weight, building muscle will require more calories to maintain it at rest and

HIIT will hep stop conditioning.

This forum has most of the common questions

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisp...php?forumid=179

This one looks stupid but the advice is the best science proven stuff, not how to get abs in 7 days.

http://www.tmuscle.com/index.jsp

Archived