House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R K

Car Scrappage Scheme To Be Extended

Sky ticker reporting that Baron Mandelslime de Rothschild will announce an extension to the car scrappage scheme in his speech this afternoon.

++++++++++++ End of Bulletin ++++++++++++++

He's doing the Tories up like the proverbial kipper.

Talks about cuts - but keeps on pumping.

Edited by Red Karma

Sky ticker reporting that Baron Mandelslime de Rothschild will announce an extension to the car scrappage scheme in his speech this afternoon.

I wish I could get some of this free money he keeps giving away. As long as it's not my money why should I....... Oh wait a minute he's giving my money to peoplke that wish to buy cars?

****** off

Love the use of tax payers money going into encouraging those without loans for their motors (ie those targeted with old cars that are less likely to be funded through a loan and likely to be owned outright) to take out finance to fund these new cars.

The era of the never never.

its pretty obvious the economy will fall over before the next election without more stimulus.

A politician scrappage scheme would be worth voting for?

Love the use of tax payers money going into encouraging those without loans for their motors (ie those targeted with old cars that are less likely to be funded through a loan and likely to be owned outright) to take out finance to fund these new cars.

We are only up to our neck's in it so a few more inches will be 'safe as houses' :rolleyes:

buy a house, buy a car.

With f£cking what, fresh air?

People can't afford to buy food in supermarkets these days with the cost.

Another useless throwdown to the product consuming wasters up to their necks in debt in society.

Well his good friend Deripaska (you know the billionaire whose yacht Mandelslime has sleepovers on when he's with the Rothschilds) has just announced his company RUSAL are going for an IPO in Hong Kong before the year end to raise cash.

So I guess Mandy may have his reasons for wanting to ensure stock markets stay pumped for for a while longer and the next downleg is delayed for a bit longer , and not just political ones.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125409586323044797.html

I predicted this last week. The Yanks will extend their scheme as well.

What we will see is this being constantly updated, with the qualifying date moving ever-forward (maybe even to cars only a year old) as they try to squeeze the last few drips of demand from the consumer.

Utter, utter desperation.

My local mechanic is livid - less old cars on the road - less work for him.

And, talking of unintended consequences - more mpg = less tax for the government.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by gruffydd

What we will see is this being constantly updated, with the qualifying date moving ever-forward (maybe even to cars only a year old) as they try to squeeze the last few drips of demand from the consumer.

Me too on another thread.

Lets get real here. There is an election to fight and its no expense spared to buy votes with the taxpayers own money.

Me too on another thread.

Lets get real here. There is an election to fight and its no expense spared to buy votes with the taxpayers own money.

Well, the Germans have just had their election, and I bet they extend their scrappage scheme as well.

And, talking of unintended consequences - more mpg = less tax for the government.

Yes, but they get a VAT windfall on each new car sale. So the government trousers a tax windfall now, and a future (i.e. Tory) government suffers from lower fuel duty receipts.

how about a new TV scrappage scheme for the digital switchover?

I would like my fellow-taxpayers to fund a nice new plasma for me thanks very much.

i despair.

Why stop at TVs?

Perhaps more people would be able to afford to move home if the government magicked up some money to buy you a new kitchen, bathroom suite, home entertainment system etc. for your new home. We would only be talking £25k per house and it would generate a few thousand jobs (ok, the jobs created would principally be in China, but you can't have it all). Like a John Lewis list for the whole country. The Stationary Office could produce a nice laminated book for us all to choose from.

Financed from the slush fund that Gordon is using at the moment and all to be repaid by those nasty tories who will destroy the lives of Hard-working FamiliesTM by cutting jobs. Got to keep the illusion going for a few more months.

I wish I could get some of this free money he keeps giving away. As long as it's not my money why should I....... Oh wait a minute he's giving my money to peoplke that wish to buy cars?

****** off

It's worse than that, he's giving your money away a sweetener for subtracting from the sum total of human wealth. Straight forward theft would be more economically productive.

+1. They know the game's up, but they also know they can probably buy a bit more time (in ever decreasing amounts). Governments worldwide are starting to realise this, and I think we'll gradually see a fragmentation of approach to stimulus over the next 6 months.

Still, I bet Labour can't resist ensuring that this particular scheme extension runs out some time around May 2010...

Well, not everyone. I just picked up my new car after my 11yr old one failed on me too often in a short space of time.

I paid cash (well a cheque), and the salesman was in shock - and probably a bit miffed about not getting the commission on selling me a credit deal. Until I made it very clear I was paying cash he was insisting I go for the top of the range model (alloy wheels and all that crap) 'it will only cost you £x a month' I worked out I would be paying something in the region of an extra £2.5K in interest payments over the three years of the deal (something like 9.9%apr).

But since I was getting the princely sum of 0.4% on my savings account - the evil *****s at Nationwide opened a new e-savings account with a better rate and obviously didnt tell anyone with an existing e-savings account, most of my money with them has now been spent or moved in protest, I told them as much in the branch too - not that it is the people in the branches fault.

Hmmmm, how about a house scrappage scheme.

Two birds with one stone. Yet more taxpayers money chucked down a hole and bound to help push up demand for new houses......

Guest P-Diddly
how about a new TV scrappage scheme for the digital switchover?

I would like my fellow-taxpayers to fund a nice new plasma for me thanks very much.

i despair.

:( Yes. This is just silly now.

. . . and when everyone has bought a foreign car and TV and blender and . . . on the never, never, never never never . . . problem still exists, only worse.

:(

:(:(

Baron Mandleschild is starting to speak now for anyone who has a strong enough stomach to listen.