House Price Crash Forum

What Is Good About Great Britain?

Guest absolutezero

HOLA441
Guest P-Diddly
Culture of getting stuff done. We have a lot of faults but broadly speaking we are a nation of people who can make decisions. Not always the best decisions but they get made. You have to live abroad in a few places to really get your head around this one, its quite subtle. We have this in common with other protestant countries (US and Holland), not entirely sure why. But Cogs, you cry, what about our frustration with all the times people wouldn't make decisions and act? That it enrages you when it doesn't happen proves my point. More than half the planet wouldn't understand the nature of your complaint.

:lol:

Yep. Part of my hope for the UK is once that nutcase government is gone, people of UK will once again make stuff happen.

HOLA442
Culture of getting stuff done. We have a lot of faults but broadly speaking we are a nation of people who can make decisions. Not always the best decisions but they get made. You have to live abroad in a few places to really get your head around this one, its quite subtle. We have this in common with other protestant countries (US and Holland), not entirely sure why. But Cogs, you cry, what about our frustration with all the times people wouldn't make decisions and act? That it enrages you when it doesn't happen proves my point. More than half the planet wouldn't understand the nature of your complaint.

I wish the government were a bit more willing to sit on their hands. Too many rules, league tables, quangos etc have been set up. Had they done absolutely nothing but regulated commercial and personal debt, the rest could have looked after itself. They have been such busy bodies, they forgot to think about the important bits.

And no, I don't think a Tory government would necessarily have been much better.

HOLA443
I wish the government were a bit more willing to sit on their hands. Too many rules, league tables, quangos etc have been set up. Had they done absolutely nothing but regulated commercial and personal debt, the rest could have looked after itself. They have been such busy bodies, they forgot to think about the important bits.

And no, I don't think a Tory government would necessarily have been much better.

tory/lib dem/labour = the same party

only the BNP offer any sort of real change for the UK

UK needs to leave the EU stat , too many levels of goernment these days making their economy uncompetitive.

HOLA444

Not at all, I agree 100%. A lot of things would be better if our political masters weren't grabbing at the levers of power like hyperactive signalmen. The Tories to be fair are in theory promising something like that, but I'll believe it when I see it because it would require a level of backbone I'm not convinced they have. In short, to answer a Daily Mail headline by saying whatever it was isn't a matter for them and they have no plans to intervene. Is there a politician in the country with the brass balls for it I wonder? Its funny really because one thing all politicians agree on is the "events dear boy" dictum as if there wasn't an obvious and beneficial solution.

HOLA445
In UK, Estate Agents commission is paid by the vendor. They choose their poison, they pay the bill.

In loads of countries around the world - you probably all know them (but I'll start the list off with France and Japan for those who don't), buyer has to pay the EA commission, and it's anything from 3% - 12% depending on both country and sale price. Brilliant ! Vendor chooses which slimeball, and buyer pays the f***ing bill.

That's not the only thing I like about UK, but it's a start. ;)

Not in France they don't!

Who pays the immobilier's fee is agreed between the vendor and the buyer.

I didn't pay it in France: the seller did.

And if the sale is made by a Notaire - with no EA involved and many are - then the buyer and seller split the Notaire's fee on an agreed scale.

Even where the buyer and seller each employ their own Notaire.

HOLA446

Good

The Scottish Highlands.

Traditional Pubs (Lamentibly being allowed to die off however with nary a word said in their defence, a good pub is now few and far between)

Eccentric sense of humour.

Weather (Sometimes, when it's good it's fantastic)

Red Phone Boxes (When you can find one)

Crisp winter mornings.

Bad

Government and it's uncanny ability to f*ck up anything it touches.

Lumpen, apathetic proles who, if the Govt. told them to bend and spread em' would meekly abide.

Celebrity worship and the constant pressing of the idea that arrogance and bullying behaviour in everyday life is the way to get by and up the ladder.

Chavs and all they stand for.

HOLA447
The British Eccentric. ;)

Ah! Finally! Something good about the UK.

I was really struggling to think of anything up to this point.

The rest of the comments are inconsequential and / or down to personal taste though.

HOLA448

Personal security: one of the lowest murder rates in the world/one of highest murder detection rates. Lowest figure for 20 years last year (640 I think, from highs of well over 1,000)

Nothing else comes close to having a low murder rate - simply because if you are dead, you cannot enjoy all the other great things about UK living. Or moan about the chavs/government.

HOLA449
Guest DisposableHeroes

Family/friends, countryside, weather, security, eccentricity, wildlife, red trousers...urrrmmm, architecture, history...urmmmm

Archived