House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest absolutezero

What Is Good About Great Britain?

Guest absolutezero

All this misery on here about how the UK will be a miserable place in 10 years and how society is breaking down is doing us no good.

What is actually good about this country?

Natural and non-natural.

Landscape, architecture, societal... Whatever.

I'll start.

The coastline. Absolutely stunning.

The Fife coast, the Pembroke National Park, Beachy Head, Giants Causeway. All beautiful places.

The golf courses are the best in the World, and the people are the funniest. We are a bunch of cockends though.

I like GB, but it annoys the ****** out of me.

Guest anorthosite
I like GB, but it annoys the ****** out of me.

You like him? I can't stand the one-eyed Scottish idiot myself :huh:

You are wrong there. You are talking about JB surely. ;)

Amazing how few people in this country know that little fact. I prefer this one.

knJAMES_BROWN_narrowweb__300x407,0.jpg

Here's a contentious one: The weather.

For me, it's the best climate in the world. I have travelled a lot, and ended up living in Bogota for more than a year. Part of the reason for that was because they have "English weather" up there in the Andes.

But most of the reason was the women.

In UK, Estate Agents commission is paid by the vendor. They choose their poison, they pay the bill.

In loads of countries around the world - you probably all know them (but I'll start the list off with France and Japan for those who don't), buyer has to pay the EA commission, and it's anything from 3% - 12% depending on both country and sale price. Brilliant ! Vendor chooses which slimeball, and buyer pays the f***ing bill.

That's not the only thing I like about UK, but it's a start. ;)

Guest DisposableHeroes
Here's a contentious one: The weather.

For me, it's the best climate in the world. I have travelled a lot, and ended up living in Bogota for more than a year. Part of the reason for that was because they have "English weather" up there in the Andes.

But most of the reason was the women.

Yeah I agree, no real extremes in weather. Some countries look a bit to dried out (not much green). I like the seasons too.

Sunday roast and a pint in a decent pub with the Sunday papers.

are you suggesting burning down a public house with a pint of petrol, lit with rolled up newspapers.

thats smoking too much bosmallox.

Not much I dislike really:

1. Property too expensive (not for long though, eh? ;) )

2. Horrible government (not for long though, eh? ;) )

3. Somewhat infantilised population due to state meddling in the social realm (curable over the medium term :unsure: )

4. National debt (possibly terminal over the long term, but will cure 3. above. ;) )

Other than that I love it.

Its a tough one, some of the landscapes are "nice" but easily surpassed abroad so not particularly good. Old Pubs are something I miss as well as the many historical sites. London is also very impressive and nice to visit.

British weather is good, apart from the downright miserable winters.

In general British culture (especially the humor and ability to laugh at itself) is good and I miss it, but its sadly being diluted through celebrity worship, vanity, consumerism and mass immigration. I suspect it will be all but gone within a couple of decades.

British universities are also excellent in general, especially considering their rather limited resources when compared to countries like the US.

Ohh and British supermarkets - people love to hate them but the huge variety of good quality, well priced goods is unmatched.

Driving standards, crap though they are, are still the best ive seen in the world.

I'm sorry, but all I can say to that is bo11ocks.

Unless, of course, the only places you have been in the world are India, and anywhere in Africa.

moo.

In general British culture (especially the humor and ability to laugh at itself) is good and I miss it, but its sadly being diluted through celebrity worship, vanity, consumerism and mass immigration. I suspect it will be all but gone within a couple of decades.

I couldn't agree more.

moo.

Guest P-Diddly
I couldn't agree more.

moo.

Mikey, when you use this bo11ocks thing, do it like this.

Bo!!ocks!

Good innit?

Culture of getting stuff done. We have a lot of faults but broadly speaking we are a nation of people who can make decisions. Not always the best decisions but they get made. You have to live abroad in a few places to really get your head around this one, its quite subtle. We have this in common with other protestant countries (US and Holland), not entirely sure why. But Cogs, you cry, what about our frustration with all the times people wouldn't make decisions and act? That it enrages you when it doesn't happen proves my point. More than half the planet wouldn't understand the nature of your complaint.