House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Ed Balls Kebabed On 'the World This Weekend'

Astonishing. In a 20-minute interview just now, Shaun Ley really laid in to him. I can't recall hearing such a hostile interview with a senior Labour figure since they came to power. When Balls tried to play the 'Tory tax cuts for millionaires versus Labour spending on schools' card, Ley repeatedly told him to stop talking about the Tories, because they weren't being interviewed on that slot and therefore couldn't respond to his points, and concentrate exclusively on Labour policy ('we'll ask them those questions on this programme next week, when it's their conference'). Ley also did not let him off the hook when questioning him about Brown's unpopularity, and continued to press him quite aggressively.

Could some BBC journalists be waking up to the fact that by this time next year, they'll probably be dealing with a Tory government, and consequently have entered career preservation mode?

In any case, the programme is well worth a listen again.

Astonishing. In a 20-minute interview just now, Shaun Ley really laid in to him. I can't recall hearing such a hostile interview with a senior Labour figure since they came to power. When Balls tried to play the 'Tory tax cuts for millionaires versus Labour spending on schools' card, Ley repeatedly told him to stop talking about the Tories, because they weren't being interviewed on that slot and therefore couldn't respond to his points, and concentrate exclusively on Labour policy ('we'll ask them those questions on this programme next week, when it's their conference'). Ley also did not let him off the hook when questioning him about Brown's unpopularity, and continued to press him quite aggressively.

Could some BBC journalists be waking up to the fact that by this time next year, they'll probably be dealing with a Tory government, and consequently have entered career preservation mode?

In any case, the programme is well worth a listen again.

Ed Balls deserves no quarter. Thanks for the link, Ayatollah.

A stonking great majority ain't a done deal, but unless something truly unpredictable here and now happens before the GE, I'll chance my arm and predict that Labour losing its absolute majority in Parliament is.

As I wrote earlier, I've never, ever heard any BBC interview of a senior Labour figure taking that tone and approach before. I'll be very interested to know if this is a one-off (resulting in Ley having his bottom spanked and that being the end of it) or marks a consistent change.