House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metal Detecting

Been thinking for a ages that I might get a metal detector. Does anyone here do it already? I live on the coast so have a ready supply of beaches which will no doubt be littered with coins, phones and other assorted bits and pieces that the chavs have lost after a bank holiday piss-up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Might be best to join a club or at least check out some forums as there are plenty of laws to consider before thinking you will find your fortune underground. You can't just get a detector and wal into a field and start scanning, and the shoreline belongs to the Queen.

Might be best to join a club or at least check out some forums as there are plenty of laws to consider before thinking you will find your fortune underground. You can't just get a detector and wal into a field and start scanning, and the shoreline belongs to the Queen.

Sure sure, and thus in the unlikely event you find a gold brick you would hand it in to the queen rather than slip it into your jacket or rebury it and come get it lin the middle of the night.

Not expecting to find my fortune. Just seems like an interesting way to get out the house without spending too much cash.

Sure sure, and thus in the unlikely event you find a gold brick you would hand it in to the queen rather than slip it into your jacket or rebury it and come get it lin the middle of the night.

You don't need to. Anything claimed as Treasure Trove by the state results in you being compensated to the tune of its full market value.

Been thinking for a ages that I might get a metal detector. Does anyone here do it already? I live on the coast so have a ready supply of beaches which will no doubt be littered with coins, phones and other assorted bits and pieces that the chavs have lost after a bank holiday piss-up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

go for it M8

so what if u look like an erse

If you find a similair treasure trove to that recent one

I doubt you'll be bothered by a few fashion critics

I had a detector myself didnt make much use of it and now its

broken and gone ,all I ever found was rusty nails and empty tinnies

Its always a buzz when it started screaming tho

and a beach is the ideal starting ground

easy to sift through if you take a mesh and spade with you

You'll look like a sad nerd only a few rungs up the ladder from a trainspotter. Get a dog instead.

Don't care much what people think - life's too short - and we already have 2 dogs.

Thought about metal detecting myself but couldn't be arsed with all that walking around.

Thought about a metal detecting robot. Something like one of those R/C tanks (you can get some massive ones with petrol engines). The tank tracks should enable it to get over the rough stuff.

Integrate it with a GPS device and a downloadable wireless link. Then sit on your **** in a chair drinking beer while the thing trundles all over the field finding stuff for you.

I'd want to integrate it with some source of hypersensitive detector (much better than the ones you get on standard metal detectors). I know how to build these.

Trouble is I'm too busy doing other stuff to get round to implementing it. I reckon it would take me about 6 weeks.

If I could make an army of the buggers I could leave them going in fields at night so noone would nick them.

I reckon about 6 months and I'd be a bored millionaire.

Maybe if me next project works :)

Not expecting to find my fortune. Just seems like an interesting way to get out the house without spending too much cash.

i reckon good places would be public footpaths based around old toll roads and causeways. a lot of public footpaths were the motorways of the day. also, sneaking into farmers fields. they get half of what you find anyway and i reckon if you dont go trampling all over the crops there ok with an extra pair of eyes around at night.

ive thought the same for a hobby more than anything else.

Guest Barebear
go for it M8

so what if u look like an erse

If you find a similair treasure trove to that recent one

I doubt you'll be bothered by a few fashion critics

I had a detector myself didnt make much use of it and now its

broken and gone ,all I ever found was rusty nails and empty tinnies

Its always a buzz when it started screaming tho

and a beach is the ideal starting ground

easy to sift through if you take a mesh and spade with you

And there you go bits of saxon gold just lying round in a field,the rest only 2 foot under.

There must be tons of it out there.

I can think of a few places where there might be finds,where not many people have been before.

E.G. Anstiebury hill near Ockley Surrey, scene of a battle between King Athelwulf and the Vikings in 851. There used to be a saxon fort there before the Vikings burnt it.

The place is well grown over and the battle, although a large one is not mentioned much in history. Stane St also runs through Ockley so the armies would have marched up the road and met somewhere round Ockley.