House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mega

Gordon Sez We Have The Lowest Debt?

Rabid Labour bashers, could it be that this is actually true?

depends what you mean by debt.

deficit is clearly not debt, it is a borrowing requirement. as are PFI scheme, not debt, but monthly instalments, and pensions, not debt but a future liability.

pfft. Our debt has been privatised over the years, so it's off his balance sheet.

Talking of which, there's also the little matter of UKFI ... whose balance sheet is that off? I guess they learned something about keeping it off-balance-sheet from the Northern Rock experience.

Well he quotes it in terms of %GDP and as Bloo Loo says lots of stuff is off balance sheet too.

I would like to see the national debt quoted in terms of the amount of debt we have per person that works in the private sector. That would give us something tangible to compare the debt too, and then we could watch it go up as the private sector sheds workers.

Edited by chefdave

Hanging onto the wreckage now. Desperate stuff I'm afraid, your boys have broke the country.

Guest absolutezero
Hanging onto the wreckage now. Desperate stuff I'm afraid, your boys have broke the country.

Please do your research. They're not my "boys".

I am not a member of the Labour party and I have never voted Labour.

Please do your research. They're not my "boys".

I am not a member of the Labour party and I have never voted Labour.

That is precisely what a labour party voter and paid up labour party member would say ;)

"our Financial prudence over 12 years"

"made it possible for us to reduce debt"

:blink:

wft? Does he really belive eht sh1t he speaks? REDUCE debt? I'm sorry, I must have missed that.

"our Financial prudence over 12 years"

"made it possible for us to reduce debt"

:blink:

wft? Does he really belive eht sh1t he speaks? REDUCE debt? I'm sorry, I must have missed that.

Every time I see him interviewed he makes the same preposterous claims.....

We've got low debt..

Labour has reduced debt...

etc etc.

My favourite one today was something like 'I'm helping to save the world economy for future generations'

As much as i dislike the man I still cannot believe that he would lie outright, so there must be some seriously selective use of statistics that he's quoting from.

So what about the part about getting inflation under control which has been a problem for this country for the last fifty years?

Would people say that is true? Given that they then thought six times salary was then OK because interest rates are low. But was getting inflation down a really good thing?

snip

My favourite one today was something like 'I'm helping to save the world economy from future generations'

snip

fixed.

He's not THAT wrong - he's taken the 5 most f*cked developed economies and noted how we're not quite as f*cked as them on one measure. And true, I am more optimistic about our chances of recovery than Japan and possibly Germany or France. USA has amazing demographics to pull it up, but we have a burgeoning new baby boom birthing right now to help us out, and, like USA, the opportunity to devalue the currency. Plus it is arguable off-balance-sheet pension liabilities are only half their measured size as only half the expected amount will actually get paid out - paper money and all that.

So yeah, but that hardly makes our position a good one. There is stil a big price.

If you're going to lie, make it a big one and tell it many times.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State

QUOTE (Joseph Goebbels )

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State

That truly is quite frightening, because I honestly believe that is where were heading in the next decade. :ph34r:

</tfh moment>

"We have become dangerously accustomed to the slow yet relentless erosion of liberty under a malevolent government led by an unelected delusional maniac who will stop at nothing to further his own personal ambition even if it means bringing ruin to the nation he was not elected to govern."

Sadly, I have to agree. Even Mandy wants out and has offered his dark services to the next government. Perhaps Mandy sees an evil at work that even his malevolent spirit cannot abide. I have never disliked Ali Darling on a personal level but he clearly fears for the future of Britain under Brown's brand of New Labour. I would not be surprised to see a series of resignations follow the conference in Brighton and a GE much sooner than Brown expected.

Edited by Realistbear

He will be releasing data soon to prove he has saved Britain from ruin:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090927/tuk-br...on-dba1618.html

Brown determined to fight on

2 hours 30 mins ago

ITN

Buzz Up! Print Story Gordon Brown says he expects to see figures "pretty soon" that would show his economic policy is working to bring the UK out of recession...../

Despite polls which consistently give a double-digit lead to the Conservatives, Mr Brown said he believed that voters were currently in a state of "suspended judgment" over his handling of the economic crisis and the scandal of MPs' expenses.

But can the "data" be trusted or will they be figures concocted to "avoid panic during a time of national crisis?" :ph34r:

Edited by Realistbear