House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Pint Princess 2

Tips For Night Shift

As i wrote before I just got a job, any job after finding unemployment too stressful so found a logistics (warehouse) job.

Also it's not agency work so twice as good.

Problem is I start work tomorrow at 10pm, and currently wake up at 6-7:00am (only just got the call with the start date and time)

How do I stay awake today and tomorrow and then start my first day at 10pm?

Get up late if poss tomorrow but if not no worries.

I used to have a single pint of beer a few hours before my first shift - normal beer so smell etc goes by the time you go to work.

At work I would have a curry about 10-11pm, a right belter as well.

Then in the morning, I'd have a bowl of porridge and offskis to bed. Toast when you get up and a big meal in the night.

Tip: if this is long term and worth it, buy blackout curtains from Linens Direct and some good foam earplugs to make day sleeping better <- bullet shaped ones are best not the wax / gels or the cylindrical ones. Don't push them in so far as you can't get them out again.

TFH

Tip: if this is long term and worth it, buy blackout curtains from Linens Direct and some good foam earplugs to make day sleeping better <- bullet shaped ones are best not the wax / gels or the cylindrical ones. Don't push them in so far as you can't get them out again.

TFH

Appreciate this so thanks, Do the ear plugs work for sleeping if your head is on the pillow and the pint of beer (normal beer should be gone in 2 hours or so, makes driving ok) does the depressent effect work something

or is it some body synch thing? same with the meals how does it work?

Appreciate this so thanks, Do the ear plugs work for sleeping if your head is on the pillow and the pint of beer (normal beer should be gone in 2 hours or so, makes driving ok) does the depressent effect work something

or is it some body synch thing? same with the meals how does it work?

I was chatting to a colleague the other day and he mentioned so study on jet lag that he had read that suggested that not eating for a day and a half makes the body clock easier to reset (this was for people flying to other timezones, but the concept should be the same).

Don't know if it's true though - never tried it.

I've worked night shifts for three years. Never more than three on the bounce though so never got fully intro the night routine but here are my experiences. Everyone's different though so you will find your own tricks over time.

- take a nap in the afternoon/evening. I usually try to sleep around 5pm. Easier in winter this. Set your alarm for the latest it needs to be in order to get to work and go to bed in a dark room. Say to yourself you will not get up until your alarm sounds, so there is no point trying to think about other things. Have a small meal before you go to bed and a good orgasm and your set for a couple of hours. If you can't sleep it doesn't matter, as the darkness of the room and the rest will leave your body and mind ready for night shift.

- don't think about going on the bender the night before (I did this for a year ;) ). You might stay in bed longer but it is a less refreshing sleep and you'll end up feeling depressed on night shift.

- be positive when on night shift and don't keep thinking to yourself that you're tired and want to go home. Take in a couple of can of sugar-free red bull for real hard spots of the night, but cut this out at least 3 hours before heading home. The red bull for me reminds me of drinking vodka-bulls in nightclubs so gives me a kick just from that, and if you can get on some music you like it's all better.

- eat light meals through the night, such as a small sandwich. Alternatively if you can get yourself a treat like a pizza delivered in and have a slice every hour or two. Treating yourself like this will make you feel more positively about night shifts.

- sleeping between night shifts tends to be difficult. I find it easier to sleep 4 or 5 hours once I get home. Then get up around midday and do stuff (gym, shopping, prepare night shift meals, washing) for three or four hours and head back to bed in the evening. Again if you can't sleep as much as you think you should, just get the bodily rest and darkness to revitalise yourself.

- enjoy the shift supplement :P

I worked nights in a bakery for my first job - 10pm - 4am. Got told I'd got the job at 3 in the afternoon the day I was supposed to start. 'Better to go to bed then hadn't I?' I said.

The first week was hard - didn't know whether I was coming or going. Body will soon get used to it though. Don't forget to factor in some time to relax after you finish. You'll be tired, but not sleepy. You don't come after a 9-5 and go straight to bed do you?

I work 12 hour nights. On the day of the first night, I get up at around 6 in the morning. That's my normal time all the time anyway, even on holidays or days off. I then go back to bed from about 2 til 5 in the afternoon. I work 8 til 8, and get home at around 9 in the morning. I am in bed by half nine, and try to sleep til four, but this doesn't always work.. Don't be fooled by thinking you feel wide awake when you get home. Get to bed as early as you can.

Daytime sleep is never as good as at night. Make the room as dark as you can. Not so bad at this time of year now, but temperature can be a problem in the summer. I use ear plugs all the time now for sleeping. Started off doing it when I was on nights, and now do it day or night time.

I tend not to eat very much at work on nights. All I have with me tonight for example, is some fruit. Years ago, I used to have a big meal in a canteen at around 3 am, but it's no good for you. I eat a normal meal before I go to work, and have cereal in the morning when I get home.

Do an all nighter before you start.

That way you'll sleep through the day, wake up in the early evening and be bright as a button by 10 pm.

That would be tonight, so my main plan including the above advice is to stay awake, get some ear plugs and black out blinds

then one point everyone agrees on is have cereal when you get back home and stay awake a few hours like one would normally.

, then one point everyone agrees on is have cereal when you get back home and stay awake a few hours like one would normally.

Not everyone ! I go to bed as early as I can. Most of the people working with me do the same. Often I don't feel I need to go straight to bed, but once head hits the pillow, out like a light.

Everyone has their own routine I guess. What I do, works for me, and I have been working nights now every other week for 30 years. ;)

I've been working shifts for the past 15 years.

Firstly I need to know what pattern you are working. Is it continuous nights, 8 or 12 hour, four on four off?

Some shift patterns are easier to deal with than others. I work a rotating pattern doing 12 hour days and nights, 18:30 -0 6:45.

What works for me is to eat as closely as possible to normal meal times as possible regardless of which shift I'm on. I avoid eating after 23:00 totally and try not to eat after 21:00.

Try not to let your sleep times drift when on night shift. Like Uptherams I go straight to bed when I get in, 07:00, and try to get up no later than 14:00. I do not use alarms, I will sleep as long as I need but once awake I get up immediately. If you start going to bed later you will sleep longer into the day making it harder to re-adjust to days after the working week.

Have a good healthy meal around 16:30 on work days.

Keep busy at work, if not an active job take regular walks in the fresh air.

Drink tea not coffee and neither, in my case, after 04:00.

Make an occasion out of breaks and if possible have group breaks, play cards, have a laugh. It gives you something to work towards and breaks the night up into manageable chunks.

The most important thing is self-discipline. It is very easy to become a slob when working shifts.

Best of luck

I did a lot of night shifts about 10 years back, 15 hours at a time. The first night just get up a bit late and keep going.

Eyedrops are more use than caffeine. Your eyes start to close and make you nod off when they are dry - so keep them out of draughts - especially air curtains.

Eat sensibly, when you are hungry. Eat when you logically should if you aren't hungry - sometimes its difficult to tell if you are totally knackered from being up for a while or from not having eaten enough.

Be sure you are safe to drive in the morning if you need to...