House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Toyota Prius 2000-2004 Any Thoughts

i know that they may not be as economical as people think, i know they take 10 secs 0-60, but i like gadgety things, something a bit different.

anyone any experience with them - reliable? jerky transmission? steering & handling? motorway cruising? visibility & parking?

what of the cheaper japanese market UK imports (look like a saloon, talk japanese to driver usually) ?

i assume bird pulling power is zero but am past caring there

Guest P-Diddly
i know that they may not be as economical as people think, i know they take 10 secs 0-60, but i like gadgety things, something a bit different.

anyone any experience with them - reliable? jerky transmission? steering & handling? motorway cruising? visibility & parking?

what of the cheaper japanese market UK imports (look like a saloon, talk japanese to driver usually) ?

If you want to spend a fortune pulling a load of batteries round with a small petrol engine . . . yes it make perfect sense.

If you want to spend a fortune pulling a load of batteries round with a small petrol engine . . . yes it make perfect sense.

MR Parry, i never thought of it that way :) quite ingenious

my main concern is it's too quiet and pedestrians or cyclists step out in front, so i may fit an ice cream van horn

Guest P-Diddly
MR Parry, i never thought of it that way :) quite ingenious

my main concern is it's too quiet and pedestrians or cyclists step out in front, so i may fit an ice cream van horn

Was having the crack with a director of Mitsubishi about this recently at 38,000 ft above the Pacific Ocean.

He reckons it's viable in 30 years time and agreed that 'it was not an honest technology' right now. Discussed polymer cells and the like. How far technology had come and all that.

Then the flat bed seat control things packed up and everyone was stuck in the position they had at the time adopted, for the next 3 hours.

My mate's got one and he loves it. It's not much more economical than my car's 1.8 turbo diesel though, but FWIW the only person I've met that's got one rates it.

Pros:

Very well built

Considered to be one of the most relaxing drives going

Very safe apparently

Cons:

Steering wheel is not reach adjustable so is night on difficult if you are even average or of above average height

Loads of posts online from people ocmplaining about serious back and neck pain from the driver's seat.

S*d all room in the boot.

IMPO the driver's seat is very low and the driving position is very uncomfortable. I twisted my neck badly trying to get out of one once and was in pain for a good week. IMPO the car is fine if you are of Japanese height but even Southern Med Europeans would have problems getting in and out of them. I also found it impossible to get my legs under the steering wheel.

If it was not for these serious issues I would have bought one but I do think my above points are fundamental to good health and safety in any car.

Pros:

Very well built

Very safe apparently

Cons:

Steering wheel is not reach adjustable so is night on difficult if you are even average or of above average height

Loads of posts online from people ocmplaining about serious back and neck pain from the driver's seat.

IMPO the driver's seat is very low and the driving position is very uncomfortable. I twisted my neck badly trying to get out of one once and was in pain for a good week. IMPO the car is fine if you are of Japanese height but even Southern Med Europeans would have problems getting in and out of them. I also found it impossible to get my legs under the steering wheel.

If it was not for these serious issues I would have bought one but I do think my above points are fundamental to good health and safety in any car.

Not directly in relation to the Prius but if you found a car that was oerfect for you in every way apart from the seat would you not consider an aftermarkey seat?

Its pointless and expensive, and I'd imagine an aging one could get very expensive to maintain - no idea how much, but those type of batteries can cost a grand or more each. To my eye they look horrible and the whole design is compromised by the need for electric and petrol power and battery storage space. In real world tests a modern Golf diesel is much more economical. So what do they say about the owner? "Im a caring, eco-aware, tree-huggig dungarees wearing femisit-vegetarian-Guardian reader without a clue but I was told this expensive heap of crap is very green so I bought it".

In my opinion hydrogen will become the replacement for petrol, gas stations in the states already have pumps. Battery technology is too expensive, heavy and the time taken to charge means it isn't viable as areplacement for petrol.

Then the flat bed seat control things packed up and everyone was stuck in the position they had at the time adopted, for the next 3 hours.

reclining, not sexual, i trust?

Won't the batteries be shagged by now and need replacing?

TFH

i was wondering about that

My mate's got one and he loves it. It's not much more economical than my car's 1.8 turbo diesel though, but FWIW the only person I've met that's got one rates it.

yes i know the economy thing is over hyped

Pros:

Very well built

Very safe apparently

Cons:

thx for that, i shall bear that seriously in mind, i am tall

Its pointless and expensive, and I'd imagine an aging one could get very expensive to maintain - no idea how much, but those type of batteries can cost a grand or more each. To my eye they look horrible and the whole design is compromised by the need for electric and petrol power and battery storage space. In real world tests a modern Golf diesel is much more economical. So what do they say about the owner? "Im a caring, eco-aware, tree-huggig dungarees wearing femisit-vegetarian-Guardian reader without a clue but I was told this expensive heap of crap is very green so I bought it".

In my opinion hydrogen will become the replacement for petrol, gas stations in the states already have pumps. Battery technology is too expensive, heavy and the time taken to charge means it isn't viable as areplacement for petrol.

mine wont be expensive or they can lump it

Underpowered, overcomplicated and overpriced piece of 'eco-bandwagon' nonsense.

There are alternatives which are bett in every way.

For example, an Octavia 1.9 Tdi will offer more space, performance, better economy, cheaper servicing and cost considerably less in the first place.

A Prius say's "I'm a twit who wants people to think's I'm saving the planet"

Underpowered, overcomplicated and overpriced piece of 'eco-bandwagon' nonsense.

There are alternatives which are bett in every way.

For example, an Octavia 1.9 Tdi will offer more space, performance, better economy, cheaper servicing and cost considerably less in the first place.

A Prius say's "I'm a twit who wants people to think's I'm saving the planet"

its got nothing to do with ecology, i walk + cycle as my bit for that, quite a lot as it happens, its just i like gadgety things + something a bit different. the styling isnt very good, the idea of silently gliding down the road + having to watch out for pedestrians who arent aware i'm there worries me, but i like the "different" aspect of it without being a car that attracts envious vandalism

Guest P-Diddly
reclining, not sexual, i trust?

Funny you should say that. The stewardess comes along and closes the window blind, saying it makes it more romantic. Me and the Jap looked at each in comic horror and laughed.

Funny you should say that. The stewardess comes along and closes the window blind, saying it makes it more romantic. Me and the Jap looked at each in comic horror and laughed.

perhaps she knows him better than you do

;)

its got nothing to do with ecology, i walk + cycle as my bit for that, quite a lot as it happens, its just i like gadgety things + something a bit different. the styling isnt very good, the idea of silently gliding down the road + having to watch out for pedestrians who arent aware i'm there worries me, but i like the "different" aspect of it without being a car that attracts envious vandalism

Well that makes in worse. I can't imagine anyone who's not some tree-hugging clown wanting to buy a Prius.

buy a first generation Honda Insight - great shape - a much better innovation than the Prius and looks a lot better too.

Rarer and Honda bits mean they're great. Then get used to pushing 70mpg in normal long distance usage. Try that in a Prius....

What that table appears to show is a decent sized car (the Prius) can achieve similar economy to diesel supermini's

I will be replacing my car at the end of next year as I do 30K a year now and am tempted to test drive the Prius with 70mpg + on petrol

what that table shows is that the test results can be manipulated and depend heavily on what driving you do (for the results you'll get).

I have a Saab turbodiesel - 60mpg on the motorway easily at 70-75. 45mpg round town. I have yet to be in a Prius (we use a car firm in London) that has over 42mpg showing on the screen. I understand they are great round town, but put them on any sort of higher speed and they are crap. BTW, the ride, stability and refinement is shocking too - 30K a year in one, no ta.

I gather the realworld lifetime averages of the Insight are in the lowish 60s, not the 83 claimed...... - still damned good.

Guest P-Diddly
what that table shows is that the test results can be manipulated and depend heavily on what driving you do (for the results you'll get).

I have a Saab turbodiesel - 60mpg on the motorway easily at 70-75. 45mpg round town. I have yet to be in a Prius (we use a car firm in London) that has over 42mpg showing on the screen. I understand they are great round town, but put them on any sort of higher speed and they are crap. BTW, the ride, stability and refinement is shocking too - 30K a year in one, no ta.

I gather the realworld lifetime averages of the Insight are in the lowish 60s, not the 83 claimed...... - still damned good.

Vauxhall Astra TD or Polo TD sort of motors I reckon are worth it. Citroen's are good too.

I had Bora TDI about 7 years ago. 60mpg.

Guest P-Diddly
What that table appears to show is a decent sized car (the Prius) can achieve similar economy to diesel supermini's

I will be replacing my car at the end of next year as I do 30K a year now and am tempted to test drive the Prius with 70mpg + on petrol

Dude seriously, I used to do high mileage, best off with a decent turbo diesel, 1900cc and up.

Cheers

I may just stick with the Avensis which is quite comfy.

I currently get 40-42 out of my petrol 1.8. A diesel would be better but the saving not worth the initial expense.

BTW - did you see Hugh Fernley Whittingstall the other night - the bit about fish farming carp in the UK? All you need is a bit of cow manure to get the algae going. A possible Parry project back in Thailand perhaps?

Dude seriously, I used to do high mileage, best off with a decent turbo diesel, 1900cc and up.

Given that my company owns over 1000 pubs - all of which have barrels of waste veg oil out the back I am tempted to get an old diesel and build a biodisel plant in my garage. You can batch process 100 litres at a time in an inverted hot water cylinder with a few modifications.

Its just having the time and space is getting a bit limited.....