House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mightytharg

Mansion Tax

Picture this. Two nurses, both earn £50,000/year and live in identical terraced houses. One in the North, and one in Hammersmith.

The fat one paid no stamp duty and around £50,000 income tax on the money she used to pay for her 100K house. So it took her three years to pay for the house in full. Now she lives in high style, holidays in the Galapagos, Sky TV, designer clothes.

The thin one pays 40,000 stamp duty, 500,000 income tax for her purchase. Eleven years indentured labour just to pay the tax, then another twenty years to pay for the house. She lives in squalor, saving every penny to pay the mortgage on her £1,000,000 house.

Thiis is the situation now.

Now, if I understand correctly, the idiot communists in the Lib Dems think the Northerner in this story is the one who is hard done by. They want to take more money from the downtrodden Londoner and give it to the rich Northerner. This is considered a good thing because it is "progressive".

Can anyone justify this, or are the Lib Dems just stupid?

I think you are taking the Pimlico :lol: I am sure there are literally thousands of nurses living in £1m homes in Hammersmith. :lol:

The lady I had in mind is actually a clinical Psychologist, but I used nurses in the example to make it clearer. Yes, there are a couple of large Hospitals with at least several hundred nurses there.