I Have Just Been To A Pub Where Children Are Welcome

loginandtonic

HOLA441
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
What?

I dont know waht the parcentage is but everyone I have seen in a pub witnessing kids has sort of been embarrassed for the parents, if thats the best you can do for the poor little f*ckers then ffs grow up

next time you take them have look at other people chatting about how retarded you are

they wont say it to your face but just watch them

You have serious issues! I took both my kids into pubs and clubs from birth. Let me assure you, they are both well adjusted and well educated.

HOLA443
I spent many happy hours with a flat coke, a packet of crisps and a rusty slide to play on as a kid. Didn't do me any harm.

I could not agree more, I have fond memories of sometimes being driven and other times walking a couple of miles along footpaths to go to a country pub. Our dad completely misunderstood in later years that cider was pretty damn strong stuff, how we sniggered. We all grew up perfectly better for those lovely family times and no one became an alcoholic either. Happy days.

HOLA444

Its a tricky one really. For dining in the day, or outside on a summer's evening fair enough. Otherwise...not so sure really. Family friendliness may be the policy of the publican but on the other hand, it isn't necessarily a move that finds favour with the punters. I know one place where the landlord decided to enforce it by clamping down on swearing etc and it lasted about a fortnight. Policy changed (Children NOT welcome), grovelling apologies all round but he's maimed his trade by scaring off the regulars and he knows it.

Theres a wanting it both ways aspect to pubs adopting this policy.

Personally I would moderate my language in the presence of children but I would also go elsewhere if it looked like being a trend.

Or perhaps go over to what it seems like increasing numbers are doing and thats stay at home with a cheap takeout and smoke and swear to my heart's content and leave the pub trade to survive on the one g&t a year the smoke-phobic fraternity buy (who claimed they were going to inundate pubs after the ban and lied about it) and the extra 2.99 for a child's portion of bangers and mash.

HOLA445

Find out what company they work for. Once when i was a kid , some warner village managers were sitting next table to us and profanitised a couple of times, my dad got ahold of someone in public relations and we got free cinema passes for the next year. This was in the mid 90s when companies still had a semblance of decency though, and my dad did like to kick up a fuss back in the day.

HOLA446
This is so true.

I work for a major pub chain and one of our divisions has a range of indoor kids play equipment.

Everyweek we get complaint / solicitors letter from some chavvy parent who let their kid play unsupervised in the pub and then got injured.

Probably cheaper than sending them to pre-school, and it has beer and footy on the tele too! :(

HOLA447

I had the pleasure of attending a London Broncos versus St Helens rugby league match a good few years ago. The match was distinctly one sided, giving the visiting fans time to go through a variety of their songs as well as a few standards such as;

"You're s**** and you know you are"

This song rather upset a London lady a few yards in front of the group of a couple of hundred lads who were singing and she very vocally pointed out that she had brought her small child to the match.

There was a brief pause and, feeling their way through lyrics being amended, we began to sing;

"You're not very good, and know you're not"

I felt quietly proud.

HOLA448
Guest P-Diddly
I could not agree more, I have fond memories of sometimes being driven and other times walking a couple of miles along footpaths to go to a country pub. Our dad completely misunderstood in later years that cider was pretty damn strong stuff, how we sniggered. We all grew up perfectly better for those lovely family times and no one became an alcoholic either. Happy days.

+1

I spent my early years leathered on Kronenberg 1664 at the Bristol and Wessex aeroplane club, on school nights too! Only time I used to drink drive was between the age of 12 and 14.

Them were the days! :ph34r:

From early adulthood had very little interest in booze. Now there's good parenting for you!

HOLA449
I had the pleasure of attending a London Broncos versus St Helens rugby league match a good few years ago. The match was distinctly one sided, giving the visiting fans time to go through a variety of their songs as well as a few standards such as;

This song rather upset a London lady a few yards in front of the group of a couple of hundred lads who were singing and she very vocally pointed out that she had brought her small child to the match.

There was a brief pause and, feeling their way through lyrics being amended, we began to sing;

I felt quietly proud.

I'm surprised they could understand the scouse accent.

Stood on the knowsley road terraces once in a group of about 30 dishing out anti-scouse ditties, it was great. :P

HOLA4410

I felt quietly proud.

nice story, i like that

HOLA4411
You have serious issues! I took both my kids into pubs and clubs from birth. Let me assure you, they are both well adjusted and well educated.

Ditto mine. The nippers are actually under the impression that pubs are where you go for a meal and a drink, often with their friends and cousins, and some nice conversation (not get pissed and swear loudly). Disgraceful eh?

Obviously I would not take them into a town centre pub at 10pm on a Friday, but the OP was about crass idiots acting like the family carvery type pub was a 'grownups only' pub on a Friday night.

It's all about having the class to know how to behave in what context, which is what chavs of any social class lack really.

HOLA4412
Ditto mine. The nippers are actually under the impression that pubs are where you go for a meal and a drink, often with their friends and cousins, and some nice conversation (not get pissed and swear loudly). Disgraceful eh?

Obviously I would not take them into a town centre pub at 10pm on a Friday, but the OP was about crass idiots acting like the family carvery type pub was a 'grownups only' pub on a Friday night.

It's all about having the class to know how to behave in what context, which is what chavs of any social class lack really.

agree/correct, and for benefit of other posters this was at 8.30 at a family type pub with restaurant, not a chain afaik

HOLA4413
agree/correct, and for benefit of other posters this was at 8.30 at a family type pub with restaurant, not a chain afaik

8:30 to me is that grey area where the last of the 'diners' are finishing up and the drinkers are arriving.

If my kids are taken for an evening meal (which is usually only if we are away from home), then we are usually finished by 7.

HOLA4414

I think people are overreacting here - why is there are problem taking kids into pubs? Okay, many places aren't really suitable, and I certainly wouldn't want kids let in everywhere, but lots of places are perfectly suitable for kids and there usually doesn't seem to be a problem.

Most pubs and bars round here have kids in them, at least until about 7 or 8 o'clock and it's never a problem. You couldn't run some pubs - food heavy ones - if you didn't let kids in.

Anyone who can't behave to a reasonable standard and moderate their language in such places if a f*ckin moron, quite frankly. The types described in the opening post are most probably insecure people who constantly feel the need to draw attention to themselves because they need to be the centre of attention all the time.

HOLA4415
What?

I dont know waht the parcentage is but everyone I have seen in a pub witnessing kids has sort of been embarrassed for the parents, if thats the best you can do for the poor little f*ckers then ffs grow up

next time you take them have look at other people chatting about how retarded you are

I usually find that we are surrounded by other families doing exactly the same thing. Not all pubs are equal!

HOLA4416
What?

Never seen that round here. Most people with kids in there fora meal so it's common to see kids.

I suppose it depends on the area though because different areas have different types of establishment.

HOLA4417
Guest skullingtonjoe
It's a shame we hate kids so much in the UK.

Just finishing a nice short break in Vienna. Lovely place - yes, there are quite a few skint-looking people here and some who would probably pass off as ´chavs´, but we´ve enjoyed a very warm welcome and pleasant stay here. Children are welcomed everywhere and it´s so nice to see the father looking genuinely pleased to have children instead of the usual dour expression we often see in the UK. I think you´d be hard pushed to find the kind of loutish behaviour we see in the UK.

If you´re feeling a bit world-weary a few days in Vienna is recommened - the food is pretty heavy (but still tastes good). If you like beer, then you´re in luck: it is delicious and inexpensive.

HOLA4418
Children in pubs. Wrong wrong wrong. Let them lie and cheat to get into pubs under age for the first time like we did.

You're joking, right? If they properly clamped down on underage kids in pubs here in Darlington they'd all be shut within a week. The only people I know who do the Friday / Saturday night thing now are <18.

eight

HOLA4419
but one of those people i'd really like to get hold of by the neck + shake until their teeth rattle before writing those words across his face with an hb pencil

A hb pencil would probably snap after the first letter. From my technical drawing days I think you would be looking at a 4h or 5h as these are harder. You could use his eyes to put the fullstops in too with these beauties.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Actually, when I put some thought to it, I can't bring to mind many pubs I wouldn't be happy taking a child into (at least during the day) that I would ever be likely to go into anyway and I can't think of any at all that actually operate a no children policy. Kids have always gone into pubs as far as I can remember. Okay, there are a few city centre pubs and bars that aren't suitable for kids at any time but there aren't that many in reality.

HOLA4424
You're joking, right? If they properly clamped down on underage kids in pubs here in Darlington they'd all be shut within a week. The only people I know who do the Friday / Saturday night thing now are <18.

eight

Colin Todd has gone. I suspect the pubs will be overflowing up there tonight.

HOLA4425
And most pubs who operate this policy have gone out of business. The ones which survive are probably not places you would want to give your custom to.

The above is completely untrue. And I think you know it. ;)

Archived