House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Lada Carmaker To Cut 27,600 Jobs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8272328.stm

Russia's largest carmaker, Avtovaz, is to cut up to 27,600 jobs as it tries to cope with the global slump in demand.

The job cuts are more than a quarter of the 102,000-strong workforce at Avtovaz, which makes Lada cars.

Reports had suggested that 36,000 job losses were considered, but the company said that it managed to "significantly lower the initial figure".

Russia had the fastest growing car market in Europe until the financial crisis hit demand.

Overhaul

"Today, 102,000 people work at Avtovaz," the carmaker said.

"Such a number cannot guarantee effective and profitable production, therefore we have agreed to reduce the personnel by 27,600 people."

This includes 5,000 job cuts in "white collar" jobs announced last week, it said.

Of the workers being eliminated, Avtovaz said 13,000 employees would retire with pensions while another 5,500 would be forced to take early retirement.

The remaining 9,100 employees would leave the firm, but Avtovaz said 6,000 of those would have the option to work at the carmaker again in 2012.

Sales have dropped 40% this year as consumers, hard hit by the financial crisis, have shunned the carmaker.

The jobless recovery gains further momentum.

What do you call a Lada with a sunroof? A skip!

Before you all start.

Edited by interestrateripoff

...........Why's anybody get embarrassed about what car they drive?

Lots and lots of propaganda and brainwashing to make you think you need to have better cr4p than

the cr4p someone else has.

When Ladas were sold in the UK they were bought up to UK standards by Satra Motors at their factory in Carnaby East Yorkshire between 1973 and 1979.

They also imported the rather wonderful Moskovitch. The motorcycles were sold under the brand Cossack. The 4x4 was called the Niva which had a model called the Cossack.

Sara Lee cakes took over the factory later on, and then the global cake company. The factory is now used by Elliott Modular Buildings.

Guest P-Diddly
When Ladas were sold in the UK they were bought up to UK standards by Satra Motors at their factory in Carnaby East Yorkshire between 1973 and 1979.

They also imported the rather wonderful Moskovitch. The motorcycles were sold under the brand Cossack. The 4x4 was called the Niva which had a model called the Cossack.

Sara Lee cakes took over the factory later on, and then the global cake company. The factory is now used by Elliott Modular Buildings.

. . . and not a lot of people know that. :P

Lada's rock. I was driven in a bog standard Riva (?Niva) and it was like something out of the cold war (well it was from the cold war). The speedo was an old style vertical needle going across a scale of speed, and had an agro-military sounding gearbox and clutch setup. But it went and got me a lift home and had a character not seen in other vehicles of it's time, even the Skoda wasn't quite as "commie" as the Lada box.

Wouldn't like to NCAP test one though :lol:

TFH

Ladas are tough though and designed with conditions you'd find in Russia ie harsh cold conditions in isolated places...

Hence they use old obselete technology as people can fix them themselves , have the run in freezing russian winters and run on any old fuel.

Crossing Russia I used an old XT600 based on the XT500 which was 1970s technology , it was aircooled , used carbs and had TWO wires through the whole engine , used a chain and sprockets . I ripped the engine apart in a yard in Mongolia and put it back together in a day.

Compare to 3 BMW riders of which only one made it to Mongolia , the others had lots of problems which were unfixable at the side of the road...

Hence comparing a Lada to a car made in Europe isn't really fair apples and oranges, a European / Japanese / American car will probably never leave the tarmac , in Russia there was 1000s of KM of unsealed roads,

Ladas are tough though and designed with conditions you'd find in Russia ie harsh cold conditions in isolated places...

Hence they use old obselete technology as people can fix them themselves , have the run in freezing russian winters and run on any old fuel.

Crossing Russia I used an old XT600 based on the XT500 which was 1970s technology , it was aircooled , used carbs and had TWO wires through the whole engine , used a chain and sprockets . I ripped the engine apart in a yard in Mongolia and put it back together in a day.

Compare to 3 BMW riders of which only one made it to Mongolia , the others had lots of problems which were unfixable at the side of the road...

Hence comparing a Lada to a car made in Europe isn't really fair apples and oranges, a European / Japanese / American car will probably never leave the tarmac , in Russia there was 1000s of KM of unsealed roads,

Absolutely agree. Russian winters are not for wussy western cars. On several trips over to Moscow, St Petersburg and surrounding areas I've been surprised by the sheer number of decades old Ladas still running. Look terrible, but they start in the cold and they are indestructible because they're built like tanks.

I have to put myself in the LADA fan club.

I've owned three of them. My first being a £50 25% share in a red one which we called Joe Stalin.

Joe Stalin II was beige. and Joe Stalin III - the extended remix was a wonderful estate version in red again.

The first one had a broken quarter light and spent a year in a car park in Brixton without being stolen. At least with a LADA you knew you were never going to be the target of joy-riders. Can you imagine being caught driving a stolen LADA?

In the 80s and 90s they were the ultimate non-status symbol. Invertedly cool.