House Price Crash Forum

Disgraceful Bbc Radio 5 Bias Today

JonnyTomes

HOLA441
HOLA442
Cameron is a private sector media man, and he wants to privatise the commercially-oriented parts of the BBC. To me that includes Radios 1,2,5.

Well for my part, he can keep headline grabing hands of them.

Tories are good at doing away with things that benefit the general pubic and once the're gone you never get them back.

HOLA443
Well for my part, he can keep headline grabing hands of them.

Tories are good at doing away with things that benefit the general pubic and once the're gone you never get them back.

so how does that relate to radios 1,2,5 again ?

HOLA444
HOLA445
You just brought to my mind Wedges and the thin end of them.

yeah, hopefully they'll sell off the whole lot and get rid of the silly license fee. OK keep the world service and maybe news24, but a big fat wedge sounds like a great way to do it, given 3 or 4 years. bring it on, eh!

HOLA446
yeah, hopefully they'll sell off the whole lot and get rid of the silly license fee. OK keep the world service and maybe news24, but a big fat wedge sounds like a great way to do it, given 3 or 4 years. bring it on, eh!

So keep the ones you like. Not every begrudges the licence. I know the BBC act like asses sometimes, but commercial wall to wall. No thanks

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The licence fee is even more absurd when you think clearly about what it actually is.

It is NOT a licence to watch BBC. It is a licence to be authorised by the government to own a receiving device for radio waves, irrespective of what you tune it to listen to. You cannot own a device for the purpose of listening to an independent broadcaster without paying a fee to the government for the privilige of it.

Arguably a price system when BBC was the only broadcaster, utterly absurd now.

As a free man a wish to possess a receiving device and look at broadcasts from independent people, some of whom I have paid money to for the right to watch their stuff. Quite where the Hell the government comes into this baffles me.

HOLA4412
but it isn't a public service, so what's the point in that then?

(it possibly was 40 yrs ago, but now ain't then)

I think it's value has been more in the past as you say. But BBC 4 BBC2 Television do come up with some inovative and quality production, but this of course is not beyond commercial providers, if only they would more. I would hate to lose Radio 4 and The world service by whoever. Thanks for the 15 minute arguement Si1. Happy veiwing :)

HOLA4413
The licence fee is even more absurd when you think clearly about what it actually is.

It is NOT a licence to watch BBC. It is a licence to be authorised by the government to own a receiving device for radio waves, irrespective of what you tune it to listen to. You cannot own a device for the purpose of listening to an independent broadcaster without paying a fee to the government for the privilige of it.

Arguably a price system when BBC was the only broadcaster, utterly absurd now.

As a free man a wish to possess a receiving device and look at broadcasts from independent people, some of whom I have paid money to for the right to watch their stuff. Quite where the Hell the government comes into this baffles me.

well, playing devil's advocate, if there IS a case for a public broadcasting organisation (and I don't think there is, but bear with me) , then the license fee is quite a nice way of ring-fencing the money. If the BBC were simply paid out of general taxation then they'd even be less accountable

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
well, playing devil's advocate, if there IS a case for a public broadcasting organisation (and I don't think there is, but bear with me) , then the license fee is quite a nice way of ring-fencing the money. If the BBC were simply paid out of general taxation then they'd even be less accountable

That's one Hell of a big "if"!

Fact is that it means Britain is one of the few places in the World where unauthorised possession of a radio wave receiving device carries huge penalties, regardless of the use.

Put like that it is unacceptable in a "free" country.

Edited by bogbrush

HOLA4416