House Price Crash Forum
JonnyTomes

Disgraceful Bbc Radio 5 Bias Today

This morning (25/09/09) BBC radio 5 held a phone in discussing 'whether we should feel sorry for Gordon Brown' (from 9:30am onwards). I have never heard a more disgraceful example of pro-Labour bias in all my time listening to what is generally an excellent radio station. A copy of the complain I have made to the BBC is pasted below:

'BB5 Live held an open phone-in to discuss whether people felt sorry for Gordon Brown. Only labour MPs were invited to appear on the program and these MPs were given several minutes to express their view on the 'global' recession, how important it was to 'get on with the job' and how Gordon Brown had done a wonderful job of dealing with the downturn. Pro-labour callers were provided with extensive opportunity to discuss their positive views. Any expression of negative opinions resulted in callers being cut short for 'time reasons', being accused of being Tory diehards supporters, or having their opinions toned down so that positive comments could be heard on top.

There are many people in the UK, particularly the disenfranchised young who face huge University debt, devalued qualifications, and impossible housing costs. I would liked to have heard a fairer debate about the key decisions made by Brown leading to these problems. Instead, we were provided with a labour party political broadcast in all but name.

Freedom of the judiciary and the press are critical to democracy. It is deeply worrying for our democratic future that the major media organisation in the UK persistently shows bias of this kind towards a ruling party. I am a staunch listener to radio 5, but after this morning’s performance, will change my listening habits.'

Cameron is a private sector media man, and he wants to privatise the commercially-oriented parts of the BBC. To me that includes Radios 1,2,5.

Edited by Si1

This morning (25/09/09) BBC radio 5 held a phone in discussing 'whether we should feel sorry for Gordon Brown' (from 9:30am onwards). I have never heard a more disgraceful example of pro-Labour bias in all my time listening to what is generally an excellent radio station.

You obviously don't listen to Radio 5 much.

This is the channel that has featured Charlies Whelan in a long term capacity as a broadcaster, not as a guest politico,. Julian Warreker (sp?) and Victoria Derbyshire are as labour as can be and are/were mainstream broadcasters for the channel.

Radio5 is as Labour as it is possible to be. Add to this that the Tories will hopefully cut the BBC down to size and that's all you can expect.

Used to listen to R5 avidly until recently. But it has become enormously tedious, partly for some of the reasons given above. They seem to think their mission is to cheer people up rather than just report the bloody news and sport.

Can't get my fix of news and sport radio easily elsewhere though - TalkSport is basically "Builder's Radio" and R4 is so far at the oppsite end that if I flick between the two it's like getting radio from two different planets!

Edited by mikthe20

Maybe go for Fox News if you want fair and balanced......or TalkSport in the UK

I do agree the BBC is slightly left leaning, creative people tend to be, and when one party supports your funding and the other is perceived to want to cut it then naturally this may come through.

However the BBC head political correspondent Nick Robinson is as Tory as you can get and John Pienaar and Peter Allen hardly come across as pro-Labour on the only bit of 5live I listen to.

I do agree the BBC is slightly left leaning, creative people tend to be,

nonsense

Edited by Si1

I do agree the BBC is slightly left leaning, creative people tend to be, and when one party supports your funding and the other is perceived to want to cut it then naturally this may come through.

However the BBC head political correspondent Nick Robinson is as Tory as you can get and John Pienaar and Peter Allen hardly come across as pro-Labour on the only bit of 5live I listen to.

Yes but the daytimers ie Fogarty, Derbyshire, Campbell, scottish finance bint, etc are positively dripping Neuliebour.

Rolling news also has strong Liebour bias.

Im not even a ******ing tory and i can see it.! :D

I do agree the BBC is slightly left leaning, creative people tend to be

To my mind, creative, motivated intelligent people are generally wealth creating. They also understand social injustice. This may cause left-leaning political views - such as desire for high employment, free, good quality education and affordable housing.

IN WHAT WAY do these views coincide with a desire to support Gordon Brown who has ruined our economy, our education system and our employment market. His slavish popularity-seeking support of HPI and the bloated state sector regardless of the underlying cost to society has seen pensions, the poor, and employers, taxed to hell. Any party of social justice would remove this despot at the first opportunity.

The support of the BBC for labour is NOT an example of political leaning. It demonstrates state control of the largest media organisation in the UK - assembled to provide ubiased coverage of news and events. As stated in my original post, this is highly damaging to democracy.

Edited by JonnyTomes

To my mind, creative, motivated intelligent people are generally wealth creating. They also understand social injustice. This may cause left-leaning political views -

it may equally lead to right-leaning views - why this seemingly implicit assumption that conservatism is NOT about fairness and social-wealth creation?

[quote name='Timak' date='Sep 25 2009, 10:40 AM' post='2161989'

........However the BBC head political correspondent Nick Robinson is as Tory as you can get..........

Really? I heard his nickname is "Toenails", because he's so far up Brown's fat @rse that all you can see of him are his toenails.

it may equally lead to right-leaning views - why this seemingly implicit assumption that conservatism is NOT about fairness and social-wealth creation?

Perhaps my expression of sarcasm wasn't strong enough. There does indeed seem to be an implicit assumption amongst Nu-Labour supporters (how many 'real' examples of these can there actually be left?) that their way is the route to social inclusion and justice. Labour have ruined a whole generation with their debt-fuled, power-seeking policies which have seen the gap between the haves and have-nots accelerate at an unprecendented rate. New Labour have more in common with communist Russia than they have with the liberal left at this point. Witness the growing divide between quango-party Labour Britain and the rest of us...

Perhaps my expression of sarcasm wasn't strong enough. There does indeed seem to be an implicit assumption amongst Nu-Labour supporters (how many 'real' examples of these can there actually be left?) that their way is the route to social inclusion and justice. Labour have ruined a whole generation with their debt-fuled, power-seeking policies which have seen the gap between the haves and have-nots accelerate at an unprecendented rate. New Labour have more in common with communist Russia than they have with the liberal left at this point. Witness the growing divide between quango-party Labour Britain and the rest of us...

I think I understood your irony.

but you still implicitly seem to assume that creative/intelligent = left-liberal, based on some kind of inate moral foundation that, perchance, right-wingers eschew

I grant you that this govt haven't really achieved a left liberal system

however, that is not what I am questioning.

I am right wing. Does that mean I don't want fairness and justice and opportunity, for example? Or does it simply mean I have an alternative view to how it is best achieved?

I think I understood your irony.

but you still implicitly seem to assume that creative/intelligent = left-liberal, based on some kind of inate moral foundation that, perchance, right-wingers eschew

I grant you that this govt haven't really achieved a left liberal system

however, that is not what I am questioning.

I am right wing. Does that mean I don't want fairness and justice and opportunity, for example? Or does it simply mean I have an alternative view to how it is best achieved?

It means you have an alternative view on how social justice can be achieved. The role of the state in delivering this will be up for review very soon and Canada-style, I suspect your views will come to the fore. This is because what Brown has tried to do is financially utterly unsustainable without communist/dictatorship powers. What is frightening is his response to this realisation and how far down this line he has tried to go (DNA databases, ID cards, lucrative state employment for all key supporters, control of the media etc. etc.).

It means you have an alternative view on how social justice can be achieved. The role of the state in delivering this will be up for review very soon and Canada-style, I suspect your views will come to the fore. This is because what Brown has tried to do is financially utterly unsustainable without communist/dictatorship powers. What is frightening is his response to this realisation and how far down this line he has tried to go (DNA databases, ID cards, lucrative state employment for all key supporters, control of the media etc. etc.).

fair enough.

To my mind, creative, motivated intelligent people are generally wealth creating. They also understand social injustice. This may cause left-leaning political views - such as desire for high employment, free, good quality education and affordable housing.

That is hilarious.

:lol:

Do you mean being able to read out loud <_<

:lol:

Do you mean being able to read out loud <_<

in my experience, people that achieved public sector non-job success as a result of supportive background allowing them to take their time getting appropiate qualification and then sitting tight and constantly voting labour, describe themselves as 'creative'

I guess they are creative at spending other peoples' money...

Edited by Si1