House Price Crash Forum

Gigs

Brave New World

HOLA441

Went to see Massive Attack last night which was the first biggish gig I have been to for a while. Along with the fact that you have to buy cack beer and the lack of not being able to smoke at a gig which in itself deadens the atmosphere and takes the piss given the bands own pastimes! I was shocked at the se

lf aware restraint of folk. It was like they were at the cinema or something.

Now the last few gigs I have been to I have been fortunate enough to be stood up watching folk like Ian Brown where people get on it in a major way – but it was really shocking last night seeing the lack of ability to ‘let onself go’. People were clapping etc so it was not as if it was a duff gig but you could feel the self restraint in the air – a symptom of these corporate O2 venues that now resemble a lecture hall or cinema.

Just glad I got to see John Martyn at the Irish Club before the smoking ban – the last proper gig I will ever see going on the soulless, passionless folk who attend venues like the O2.

HOLA442

I think all the best gigs I've been to have been in small venues, normally low publicity gigs in bars or student unions of a band just on the cusp of the big time. The best ever was Marillion, November 1984, an unpublicised gig at Surrey university - wasnt even on the tour Tshirt of the tour they were doing at the time.

HOLA443
I think all the best gigs I've been to have been in small venues, normally low publicity gigs in bars or student unions of a band just on the cusp of the big time. The best ever was Marillion, November 1984, an unpublicised gig at Surrey university - wasnt even on the tour Tshirt of the tour they were doing at the time.

Definitely agree with that, the smaller the better. Watched OkGo (they of the MTV treadmill video fame) in Shoreditch on Tuesday night; superb (350 capacity). On the other hand, I went to see Roger Waters at the O2 last May and that was simply a clinical and souless affair.

HOLA444
HOLA445
I love massive attack though, I can't imagine how you could 'go for it' at one of their gigs. They are not the most joyful, uplifting of bands.

Not really familiar with them (I'm showing my age, I know), but IMPE, the gig experrience is dependant on the energy, charisma and competence of the band, something which is independant of the gloominess or otherwise of their lyrics, studio recordings etc. I would imagine that Nirvana we're amazing to see live, but not exactly uplifting lyric-wise.

HOLA446

I saw The Foo Fighters at the O2. Know exactly what you mean. It was pretty subdued.

I think a lot depends on the age of the crowd. For example, I saw Paul Weller at the O2 Academy (Oxford) and The Damned (Oxford) recently and the crowd was as usual very restrained (barring Weller during 'Eton Rifles' and The Damned during one or two of their more 'punky' riffs). Age group was 30+ for both but it only holds 1000 so is quite intimate wherever you stand.

However. Same venue; Gogol Bordello (New York gypsy punk band). Crowd 18+. Atmosphere? Mental.

I think older people get easily embarrassed to the point where they daren't go further than tap their feet or clap their hands. Venue size does matter but it's better to be around people who can let their inhibitions go (ie, young and drunk!).

Oh. The music does matter too. Can you really go mental to Massive Attack?

HOLA447

Gigs have changed in the last five years or so. Downloading music has meant people have access to more and more bands but never have a true favourite band, or tend to only know the popular tracks (eg the chavs that go to Kings of Leon gigs for one of their recent songs). Add this to the fact a lot of people go to gigs nowadays to be able to say they went, rather than for the actual music, and you have gigs going the way of top flight football matches.

I've not been to a good gig since about 2000, when I saw the Ataris, New Found Glory, and a heap of other punk bands at intimate venues. Maybe I was spoilt by those, I dunno.

I've got Idlewild and the Pogues lined up this year, so hopefully they'll change my opinion.

HOLA448

Yes very true some of the tracks are very laid back but a lot of their tracks rely on the very dj-esque beat of two drum kits which kicks out some real energy on a lot of the tracks. Had the misfortune of being in seats but even on Unfinished Sympathy (probably one the tracks of the last 25 years) only a smattering of folk out of their seats. Maybe reading too much into it but seems to be symptom of modern life! The nannying of govt is having a drip drip effect into the lives of individuals.

Off to see The Invisible in a couple of weeks at a more intimate venue which should be good.

Very true re downloading and the whole ‘I went’ culture. A symptom of the fashion industries bastardisation of music, of which the Kings of Leon having been a hippy Americana band are now the opitomy of selling out for the mass market, stylists an all.

Actually think that the only place where folk aren’t self reserved is an away end at a football match – and look at what the media tried to do recently re the West Ham Milwall match and how blown out of all proportion the coverage of it was.

Goes back to the theme of the powers that be being scared of large congregations of people. Sit down, don’t smoke, be quiet there’s a good chap.

The Pogues should be a good ‘un.

HOLA449

saw Massive Attack on Thursday - was quite restrained as you say, but wasn't expecting anything else really - its not really the sort of music where you go mental. Was a generally older crowd too 20s/30s+. We've got most of that out of our system at that age.

If you saw the highlights of Reading this year you would have seen Enter Shikari - 10,000 teenagers going mental there was a dust storm over the crowd and and an absolute sea of crowd surfers for the security to deal with. Took my breath away it did (from the safety of my sofa)

Best gigs I've ever seen were Electric Six at Camden Electric Ballroom, Interpol at the Astoria, Faithless at Brixton and Beth Orton at the Union Chapel and again at the Royal Albert Hall.

HOLA4410
saw Massive Attack on Thursday - was quite restrained as you say, but wasn't expecting anything else really - its not really the sort of music where you go mental. Was a generally older crowd too 20s/30s+. We've got most of that out of our system at that age.

If you saw the highlights of Reading this year you would have seen Enter Shikari - 10,000 teenagers going mental there was a dust storm over the crowd and and an absolute sea of crowd surfers for the security to deal with. Took my breath away it did (from the safety of my sofa)

Best gigs I've ever seen were Electric Six at Camden Electric Ballroom, Interpol at the Astoria, Faithless at Brixton and Beth Orton at the Union Chapel and again at the Royal Albert Hall.

Mrs Brecks sister used to see Dick Valentine.

Good music taste btw! interpol rock.

HOLA4411
Mrs Brecks sister used to see Dick Valentine.

Good music taste btw! interpol rock.

Went to see the New Seekers at the ABC Cinema in Northampton once..

I'm gonna beg, steal and borrow....

They rock!

Also Soft Cell re-union at the Brixton Academy. A giant karoke, of Tainted Love, Say Hello.. Bedsitter... Marc hardly sang, the audience did. Tremendous!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Gigs have changed in the last five years or so. Downloading music has meant people have access to more and more bands but never have a true favourite band, or tend to only know the popular tracks (eg the chavs that go to Kings of Leon gigs for one of their recent songs). Add this to the fact a lot of people go to gigs nowadays to be able to say they went, rather than for the actual music, and you have gigs going the way of top flight football matches.

I've not been to a good gig since about 2000, when I saw the Ataris, New Found Glory, and a heap of other punk bands at intimate venues. Maybe I was spoilt by those, I dunno.

I've got Idlewild and the Pogues lined up this year, so hopefully they'll change my opinion.

Correct. My ex bird does this on Facebook all the time.

Big ******ing woop! Have a banana.

Also best two gigs ive been to were Stone Roses London Powerhouse 1989 and Tony Bennett at Madame Jojos around 98.

HOLA4415

I went to go & see Interpol "headline" at the Bristol Carling Academy about four years ago. The support that night was Secret Machines. Unfortunately I came in about half way through their set, and I thought that Secret Machines outshone them. Interpol are/were trying to be too Joy Division-esque, and for me, it didn't quite click.

Massive Attack aren't really a "go mental" type band..Their heaviest album as it were, was Mezzanine, and even then its not really a moshing type album. 100th Window is more ambient, as is Protection and Blue Lines.

Its the smaller venues that really make a gig, but it can get a bit hot & sweaty in a room with little ventilation. Most of the bands that tour venues like the O2 don't really do it for me. For instance, Foo Fighters were great about 10 years ago, but now they've gone a bit bland. Muse may be the exception to this rule. Kings Of Leon have totally changed direction..I don't whether they've done it for money, but its certainly not for musical progression.

HOLA4416

Seen Status Quo at Oasis in Swindon and Def Leppard & Extreme at Newport Centre, these were small gigs (around 2-3K).

Brilliant gigs!

Also seen AC/DC at Milton Keynes Bowl and Wembley Stadium - awesome. Nickelback at NIA - again brilliant.

Saying that I have seen Oasis at Wembley Stadium and it was boring as fu**!!

I've been to tons of gigs, and trust me. The band makes the atmosphere. If it feels drab its because the band didn't give it all they've got.

Saying that I do prefer smaller gigs as its easier to go for a pi55 and get a drink and actually see.

HOLA4417
Seen Status Quo at Oasis in Swindon and Def Leppard & Extreme at Newport Centre, these were small gigs (around 2-3K).

Brilliant gigs!

Also seen AC/DC at Milton Keynes Bowl and Wembley Stadium - awesome. Nickelback at NIA - again brilliant.

Saying that I have seen Oasis at Wembley Stadium and it was boring as fu**!!

I've been to tons of gigs, and trust me. The band makes the atmosphere. If it feels drab its because the band didn't give it all they've got.

Saying that I do prefer smaller gigs as its easier to go for a pi55 and get a drink and actually see.

Or possibly because they're crap ?

HOLA4418

Don't do gigs anymore. I've become a miserable old misanthrope these days and there's just too many people at gigs.

And as for letting yourself go, can't do that either. My dancing looks like a sack of drowning puppies...

Bloody hell, what an old misery I am :(

HOLA4419
Don't do gigs anymore. I've become a miserable old misanthrope these days and there's just too many people at gigs.

And as for letting yourself go, can't do that either. My dancing looks like a sack of drowning puppies...

Bloody hell, what an old misery I am :(

I know what you mean; I waited years to watch Queens of the Stone Age live and then I finally get the opportunity last year at Reading (some sports hall) and i'm pished off cos i'm getting jostled around too much much by all these exuberant teenagers...

HOLA4420

True. I will be in Birmingham for Green Day next month. That can be a very "sterile" venue, but I'm expecting the band to liven it up a bit that night.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
American Idiot was mildly inoffensive....although it certainly wasn't a punk album..

Isn't punk meant to be counter-culture? Then singing anti-Bush ditties is hardly a revolutionary act ;) Along with NoFX who jumped on the bandwagon. Saw Green Day around '00 in the MEN, got to hear most of Dookie and Nimrod fortunately enough.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest KingCharles1st

I saw E-6 twice- great fun, good songs, their version of Roxy Music's Street Life is a actually better than the original, which is saying something.

But to get back to the o.p. I recently saw Simple Minds, like- errrr- why is everybody here? I'm not the biggest simple Minds fan, but hey- its a GIG- you go for it- .

Moloko do a good line in gigs- but they don't seem to tour now.

So so many, I'm stqarting to forget. I think it's down to the fact that the only people that can afford tickets are boring rich *****ers or more of same on corporate handouts

Archived