House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

B A To Charge Extra For Window, Aisle, Exit, Etc Seats

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/25/b...ge-window-seats

British Airways to charge passengers up to £60 to reserve a seat

BA will charge those who wish to sit together on a flight or have a window, aisle or emergency-exit seat...

Haroon "Roo" Siddique and agencies guardian.co.uk,

Friday 25 September 2009 09.23 BST Article history

British Airways is introducing charges for passengers who want to secure a window seat.

British Airways passengers who wish to choose their seats before they travel will soon have to pay for the privilege, the airline announced today.

The new charges, which range from £10 to £60, will hit people who wish to ensure they sit together on a flight or secure a window, aisle or emergency-exit seat.

So, BA will make sure they split couples or families up and then ask if they would like to sit together for an extra 60 pounds each? What other choices exist if it is extra to choose aisle, window, exit? Cargo area perhaps?

I am planning a trip to the US after Christmas and will be flying on American Airlines.

I won't fly BA anyway as they would probably go on strike ((again)) while I was trying to get on the plane.

If you want to strike fine, customers will desert you and then your have no job, who's the clever one know, marching around with your banner.

Price to Rio for work Premium Economy is more expensive than going to Lisbon and then getting TAP business class to rio,

This is the final straw form me, will not be flyign BA ever again.

I won't fly BA anyway as they would probably go on strike ((again)) while I was trying to get on the plane.

If you want to strike fine, customers will desert you and then your have no job, who's the clever one know, marching around with your banner.

Actually, most of the staff dont want to strike. I had a mate that took part in the 1 month no pay thing a month ago.

Flights need to be more expensive.

Did you see all the whinging brits on tv this morning?

"oh my! three pound for an icecream here in italy"

Well they should have stayed at home then.

Actually, most of the staff dont want to strike. I had a mate that took part in the 1 month no pay thing a month ago.

Well their colleagues have blown it already. They have a reputation of strikers already.

I started flying with BA again after a long absence when Easyjet started charging £15 extra for luggage. There's hardly any difference in the flight price between the two now with all these extras added on. As for speedy boarding forget it if you are going to Budapest, it's a free for all with the Hungarians and that's in Gatwick.

I can't face the thought of flying from Heathrow (KLM) so it will be back to driving.

Fantastic.

If they split my family up on the plane, then I can have a nice quiet flight, and someone else can have the pleasure of my 4 year old for the duration.

Try getting an emergency exit seat from them when you check in anyway,

I'm 6ft 6 so travelling is painful. I always ask for an emergency exit row and every other airline seems to be happy to help.

B.A. nver help. When you walk past the emergency exit rows there always some short ar*ed fat selfish twot sat there.

I never fly B.a. if i can avoid it, I find the staff are unfriendly and arrogant, the food poor and most importantly, the seating crampt.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Fantastic.

If they split my family up on the plane, then I can have a nice quiet flight, and someone else can have the pleasure of my 4 year old for the duration.

Haha. Nice.

Methinks they haven't thought this through. People will just shuffle around once they are on board. Twits.

Would it be because they are in the process of going out of business. The airline industry is in a desperate position and needs to charge more money for the product on offer. Travelling is expensive and about to become even more so.

As for seat pitch, BA's is industry standard, I cannot think of anyone offering more leg room at this time. The more seats you pack in, the more people you can have on board, the cheaper you can offer seats.

As for striking employees, maybe if the workers in the UK stood up for themselves a bit more they wouldn't be getting so royally shafted. Personally I cannot see it happening as most people are delighted to be a serf.

If you think you will be flying anywhere soon then you must be as rich as Richard Branson, it's only going to get more expensive from here on in, and then it isn't going to be available at all.

p.s. What airlines really need to do is charge on a weight basis, the heavier you and your bags are, the more you pay. It will happen, like postage.

Haha. Nice.

Methinks they haven't thought this through. People will just shuffle around once they are on board. Twits.

Yeah it doesn't matter so much on landing where you're sat, but on the way up you want to be in the seats allocated.

There's some poor sod doing the load sheets to keep the thing steady as it takes off.

I am surprised they've not started weighing people yet to help the load balance sheet get it even better. I spose it doesn't really matter unless you're only flying a half load of fatties.

Try getting an emergency exit seat from them when you check in anyway,

I'm 6ft 6 so travelling is painful. I always ask for an emergency exit row and every other airline seems to be happy to help.

B.A. nver help. When you walk past the emergency exit rows there always some short ar*ed fat selfish twot sat there.

I never fly B.a. if i can avoid it, I find the staff are unfriendly and arrogant, the food poor and most importantly, the seating crampt.

+1

all the flights ive taken in the last 3 years have been offered with "extra" sit together fees.

I just ignore them.....most tickets are dished out at the airport and its a brave check in clerk thats going to split up a whole plane...deliberately.

BA will charge those who wish to sit together on a flight or have a window, aisle or emergency-exit seat...

I'd pay extra to have a window, don't want to get sucked out at 10,000 ft.

VMR.

Edited by VeryMeanReversion

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/25/b...ge-window-seats

British Airways to charge passengers up to £60 to reserve a seat

Haroon "Roo" Siddique and agencies guardian.co.uk,

Friday 25 September 2009 09.23 BST Article history

British Airways is introducing charges for passengers who want to secure a window seat.

British Airways passengers who wish to choose their seats before they travel will soon have to pay for the privilege, the airline announced today.

The new charges, which range from £10 to £60, will hit people who wish to ensure they sit together on a flight or secure a window, aisle or emergency-exit seat.

So, BA will make sure they split couples or families up and then ask if they would like to sit together for an extra 60 pounds each? What other choices exist if it is extra to choose aisle, window, exit? Cargo area perhaps?

I am planning a trip to the US after Christmas and will be flying on American Airlines.

Whatever next..........

"Would you like a seat-belt sir ? - that'll be £30

Oxygen mask, perhaps ? That's another £20

A window seat you say ? Is that with or without the safety glass option ?"

BA are going completely the wrong way to compete with the likes of Ryanair. They should be shouting "no extra hidden fees" at the top of their voices, allowing free transfer if you miss a flight (even at economy class) and 25kg baggage allowance as standard. They can still have a few seats at headline grabbing cheap rates, but then make money on the bulk of seats (admittedly only at high occupancy rates). Trying to play beggar my neighbour with the cheap airlines will end in disaster.

BA are going completely the wrong way to compete with the likes of Ryanair. They should be shouting "no extra hidden fees" at the top of their voices, allowing free transfer if you miss a flight (even at economy class) and 25kg baggage allowance as standard. They can still have a few seats at headline grabbing cheap rates, but then make money on the bulk of seats (admittedly only at high occupancy rates). Trying to play beggar my neighbour with the cheap airlines will end in disaster.

I agree. They've got no chance of winning an **** kicking competition with EasyJet and Ryanair. They need to compete on quality of service, transparency of pricing, more weight allowance, etc, bascally turn themselves into the anti-Ryanair.

I like this idea.

I'm 6 foot 4 and pretty wide and find airline travel very uncomfortable. BA in my experience are a pretty good airline.

I'm happy to pay a bit extra for an exit row seat. After all, I am using more fuel and more space than smaller people. Perhaps we should pay by the Kg, then I would be incentivised to go on a diet.

Virgin Atlantic already do this. And the exit row seats in my experience can sell out.

The one thing I didn't like about the Virgin Atlantic experience was the fact that people who had not paid the extra £75 for the exit row seats moved into them after takeoff. I think this should not have been allowed by the cabin crew, as it meant effectively I had paid £75 for something other people were getting for nothing. Those people could have been offered the seats for £50 and I would have been happy, as I would then have been paying a modest £25 premium for the insurance of getting a suitable seat.

I don't know if this is still the case, but in the past BA were the *Only* airline to equip their aircraft with continuous monitoring equipment for preventative maintenance. I saw this on a Horizon program where it was BA's data from this that was used to determine why some Boeing 737's had crashed. No one else had the data to figure this out, and personally I'd prefer to fly with an airline that is looking at how their planes are running *before* something goes wrong!

It's not a big change TBH. At the moment you can choose your seat at online checkin from 24 hours before you fly. The new system just gives the (paid) option to choose your seat earlier. Everyone else still gets to choose when they check in.

Guest The Relaxation Suite
If you think you will be flying anywhere soon then you must be as rich as Richard Branson, it's only going to get more expensive from here on in, and then it isn't going to be available at all.

Why would it get more expensive? Oil is down 10% in just a few days. BDYI down. S&P 500 falling through the floor. Deflation. Cheaper flights. Drivel about the environment is purely distraction-propaganda.

snip

The one thing I didn't like about the Virgin Atlantic experience was the fact that people who had not paid the extra £75 for the exit row seats moved into them after takeoff. I think this should not have been allowed by the cabin crew, as it meant effectively I had paid £75 for something other people were getting for nothing. Those people could have been offered the seats for £50 and I would have been happy, as I would then have been paying a modest £25 premium for the insurance of getting a suitable seat.

snip

bet you wont complain next time you get a business class upgrade.

Why would it get more expensive? Oil is down 10% in just a few days. BDYI down. S&P 500 falling through the floor. Deflation. Cheaper flights. Drivel about the environment is purely distraction-propaganda.

If deflation hits then this won't necessarily mean cheaper flights per se. Airlines may cut back routes as the load factors just don't justify putting an aircraft in the air. The routes that are left may maintain their price. In the last big downturn, airlines contracted and laid off 1000s. Especially in the US. The low-cost model will also be tested for the first time in Europe.

At best it may mean that you don't get to fly to 35 destinations in France, but to 20. Ditto Italy and Spain.

The impact on 2nd home owners will be interesting to watch.