House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blankster

How To Cut Traffic Congestion?

If tree huggers and petroheads can agree on one thing, it's that traffic congestion is a bad thing. But what methods are best for dealing with the problem?

I've deliberately allowed only one choice although they would all help in easing congestion.

My vote is for 'reduce the need for people to travel', by the way.

You missed off petrol rationing. Nothing too draconian, just enough to discourage people from doing stooopid things (like living 50 miles from where they work without a train connection).

Traffic congestion will never stop, anything they try will not make a shlt of difference.

I dont drive anywhere except for work as I hate driving, we have Tesco deliver and buy most things on the internet

Actually the one thing I do 'drive to buy' is fishing gear cos the shop is miles away and they dont send maggots by post.

the biggest congestion problem is parents taking their fat kids to school

Kill all the tw@ts that drive in the middle lane.

Seriously, you could halve current congestion if people didn't drive like a complete kn0b. I hate driving in the UK now. (The Belgians are as bad and the Portuguese worse in the interests of even handedness :D) The four lane parts of the M25 are dire with 60% of the vehicles in the final overtaking lane and a few lorries and caravans in the other 3.

No need for new roads or petrol price increases (both of which are I suspect unpopular).

I would consider public transport some days to commute to work. However it currently takes me 10 - 25 mins to get to work (depending on car or motorbike), the quickest I have made the same journey via public transport is one and a half hours to get to work and one and a half hours to get home.

Improve the rail systems and make public transport as chav-free as possible, then dig up Dr Beeching immediately and hang his remains from a gibbet in Clapham junction as a warning to anyone else who wants to screw with a perfectly good system of transport.

Kill all the tw@ts that drive in the middle lane.

Seriously, you could halve current congestion if people didn't drive like a complete kn0b. I hate driving in the UK now. (The Belgians are as bad and the Portuguese worse in the interests of even handedness :D) The four lane parts of the M25 are dire with 60% of the vehicles in the final overtaking lane and a few lorries and caravans in the other 3.

No need for new roads or petrol price increases (both of which are I suspect unpopular).

I f*cked the 'no undertaking' rule off years ago.

Why should I go from the inside lane to the middle then outside then middle then inside lane again cos some kunt cant drive?.......... f*ck that right off

reduce population of uk (halt illegal immigration , severely cut legal immigration) , adopt 1 child per couple policy

A one car per household policy would probably be quite effective as well.

Anyone seen this sign?

I did while stuck in a 5 hour jam coming back up from Devon, slight contradiction in terms methinks.

LaneClosed.jpg

Norwich used to have flowing traffic in the city centre until they put in a ridiculous one way system and traffic lights. Pretty much over night the entire city centr ground to a hault. Now the number of cars didnt go up over night, so its pretty obvious what caused the congestions.

Norwich used to have flowing traffic in the city centre until they put in a ridiculous one way system and traffic lights. Pretty much over night the entire city centr ground to a hault. Now the number of cars didnt go up over night, so its pretty obvious what caused the congestions.

Cars?

in London the answers are simple.

Get rid of bus lanes and rephase the traffic lights to improve traffic flow (like they used to be).

+1

The only snag is that TFL are still at it, butchering roads to make them more favourable to busses. The buuses then proceed to produce bus jams. It used to be only in Central London, now they jam each other out here in Ilford.

Kens logic bomb?

how about raise speed limits, increase driver qualification difficulty, get more illegal drivers off the road?
I agree with getting illegal and dangerous drivers off the road by more frequent use of driving bans, up to and including lifetime bans.

As far as raising speed limits go (leaving aside the adverse effects on safety), how would this effect congestion? Not at all, I reckon - because vehicles are unlikley to be travelling anywhere near the permitted speed limit anyway in heavy congestion.

As for increasing driver qualification difficulty - too many people forget or disregard what they'd learned in order to pass the test. It would be a good idea if we all had to re-take our driving test every 10 years. After all, if it's too easy, what is there to worry about? !!!

My journey to my new job would cost £10 by rail + £2 Bus, it is 28 miles so 1 gallon each way, or about 28mpg x 2 =£10

Takes 56 minutes by train + 20 minutes by bus assuming 100% service and timing, takes slightly less by car including

leaving London during rush hour, which I timed for the 9:00am interview.

Car or train?,

how about Car

I also did the same calculation including repair, fuel, tax and insurance to go London to cardiff, same cost as the train

except you don't get a car at the end of it, can travel during the strike, on Sundays, Bank holidays, weekends, holidays

monrings, overnight, late at night.

Build more roads. I dont buy all this if you build more theyll just fill up. That might have been true in the 1960s when annual traffic growth was >10% every year, but growth has been negligible for the last 15 years or so. Even when schools are off theres a noticeable improvement in traffic flow, so i doubt the increase in capacity would even need to be that large to greatly improve journey times.