HOLA441
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I have a friend who has a apartment in a high rise development in Majorca, it's halved in value, he can not sell it. It was worth 190k but best he ever had was an offer at 90K quickly reduced to 70k.

I should know the answer myself, but I am moving probably to Lanzarote but possibly another canary Island, I need some advice please.

What do people think prices will do there? (years and % of going down)

Which are the very nicest Islands and why?

I can't do cold at all nor hills (very damaged heart and strokes)

I don't want a place where it's infested with chavs or find some pissed yob wearing a 'kiss me quick' hat is going to throw up on my door step whilst shagging some slapper he has just pulled in a club.

Id stay away from Tenerife then, its got a bloody big mountain on it 12 500ft high!

Seriously, if it were me, Id pick Lanzarote any old day of the week, more aesthetically pleasing (no high rise) less chavvy than Tenerife and just as easy to get to.

HOLA443
Thanks its only fair... to the victor the spoils.

Sorry couldnt resist, sums you up perfectly:

Stan and Pam Herbert

An affluent couple who spoke with exaggerated Black Country accents and were forever informing people that "We are considerably richer than yow!" Many sketches involved the couple patronising another couple of similar age, desperate to convince the other couple (Pam's sister and her husband in one sketch) that their greater wealth meant greater happiness or social importance, and their inability to accept the successes or talents of others as being noteworthy (such as the British couple they meet on a Spanish holiday who, fluent in Spanish, are dismissed as "showing off").

I'll get my coat now... ;)

HOLA444
Id stay away from Tenerife then, its got a bloody big mountain on it 12 500ft high!

Seriously, if it were me, Id pick Lanzarote any old day of the week, more aesthetically pleasing (no high rise) less chavvy than Tenerife and just as easy to get to.

Could you live in Lanzarote 365 days/year?

Fuerteventura has better beaches than Lanzarote. Have you ever been on Sotavento?

Tenerife is attractive to me especially because of Teide. You can find non-Brits areas, especially in the NOrth.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Could you live in Lanzarote 365 days/year?

Fuerteventura has better beaches than Lanzarote. Have you ever been on Sotavento?

Tenerife is attractive to me especially because of Teide. You can find non-Brits areas, especially in the NOrth.

I couldn't live anywhere 365 days a year but, all things being equal, I wouldn't mind having a place on Lanzarote.

Fuerteventura is one big beach! Not been to Sotavento but Ive been to Jandia in the south of the island - bit too desolate for me (or at least it was in 1988).

Edited by Johnny Cash

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Tim,

Corsica . . . don't know if you can buy there or not.

I did look into buying there. Not that many properties for outsiders to buy and your not made overly welcome. I never really found out what winter was like.

HOLA4411
The more interesting question is whether its better:

- to have floating currency and be able to devalue

- to have a fixed currency and have to sort your economy out

How about removing the BoE and allowing floating bank currencies* too? If each bank is its own island, there would be no sovereign risk, should a bank fail. It would only effect those who use said bank currency. Why stick with a single currency within a border?

*The currency need not exist in notes and could be exchanged at ATM/POS like when using a debit/credit card abroad.

HOLA4412
You are very pompous...

... still takes all sorts ;)

I do find it hysterical when people lose the argument, back off and then can't resit coming back... don't be worried for one minute though you little *****, because you started the insults I am more than content to continue.

Do you want to get back to the debate you have already conceded on or are you just going to sink to the old insults routine... whichever I am glad to oblige.

HOLA4413
I do find it hysterical when people lose the argument, back off and then can't resit coming back... don't be worried for one minute though you little *****, because you started the insults I am more than content to continue.

Do you want to get back to the debate you have already conceded on or are you just going to sink to the old insults routine... whichever I am glad to oblige.

What whether we have worse problems with overbuilt property than Spain or Ireland?

I think we have about as much problems (shops and city centre flats in our case) from the same cause, cheap credit

But to be honest, I can't be bothered - you just aren't worth it

Now you really can have the last word I'm exhausted with your blind "I-AM-RIGHT" ignorance

Have you ever considered going to a doctor about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_...nality_disorder

HOLA4414
do people reckon Spain could become a cheaper destination - not to buy a house, just to go on holiday - then?

I'm thinking of hill-walking in Asturia to be honest, not package-holidays!

I, at times, live in Gijon. Asturias, "Natural Paradise" and it certainly is! Never too cold, never too hot and the scenery, particularly around the Picos and Llanes is spectacular. Like a warmer Wales.

However.........nowhere is safe from the blight of half finished apartment blocks, they are all over Asturias too, amazing, I have no idea who they thought were going to live there, it is a notorious job blackpsot. Every town and City in Spain has these ghost builds, I went to place called Cuidad Real last month, a dog of place in the middle of nowhere, Spain's Stoke. The whole place is dotted with half finished blocks, I went for a walk around them pretending I was Kurt Russell in Escape from New York. They are hardly ever 3 bedroom places either, they are 90% 1 or 2 bedrooms, cheap as chips, boxes, they can't screw people with these cages anymore, the tables have turned. Nobody will ever want them.

HOLA4415
How about removing the BoE and allowing floating bank currencies* too? If each bank is its own island, there would be no sovereign risk, should a bank fail. It would only effect those who use said bank currency. Why stick with a single currency within a border?

*The currency need not exist in notes and could be exchanged at ATM/POS like when using a debit/credit card abroad.

I dont see how you could have a currency, and no organisation in charge of issuing it. From whence would the currency come?

The Bank of England are doing all they can to devalue. It reduces the real cost of debt, and the export/import stimulus that is created should help keep unemployment down.

As for Ireland, I really dread to think of the consequences there. The Irish government has tried to take on the liabilities of the private sector. It is a risk, because if those debts get too big, then the government has to default. If you issue your own currency, you can in theory, never default on debts denominated in your own currency.

But if you dont issue your own currency, then you can default. Iceland couldnt print dollars, they defaulted.

And if the IMF hadnt stepped in, what was once one of the richest countries per capita in the World, would have starved, literally.

It wouldnt surprise me at all to see the Irish asking to join the pound zone before too long.

HOLA4416
I couldn't live anywhere 365 days a year but, all things being equal, I wouldn't mind having a place on Lanzarote.

Fuerteventura is one big beach! Not been to Sotavento but Ive been to Jandia in the south of the island - bit too desolate for me (or at least it was in 1988).

Well, you have Corralejo or Caleta de Fuste for noisy area and Jandia, Costa Calma and Cotillo for quiet area.

Jandia is still quite empty.

I liked Fuerteventura and other Canary Islands but I would rather go twice to mainland Spain for the same price. During the winter holidays I prefer to go skiing so cold weather does not bother me. Otherwise Cape Verde could be a better choice than Canary.

HOLA4417
I, at times, live in Gijon. Asturias, "Natural Paradise" and it certainly is! Never too cold, never too hot and the scenery, particularly around the Picos and Llanes is spectacular. Like a warmer Wales.

However.........nowhere is safe from the blight of half finished apartment blocks, they are all over Asturias too, amazing, I have no idea who they thought were going to live there, it is a notorious job blackpsot. Every town and City in Spain has these ghost builds, I went to place called Cuidad Real last month, a dog of place in the middle of nowhere, Spain's Stoke. The whole place is dotted with half finished blocks, I went for a walk around them pretending I was Kurt Russell in Escape from New York. They are hardly ever 3 bedroom places either, they are 90% 1 or 2 bedrooms, cheap as chips, boxes, they can't screw people with these cages anymore, the tables have turned. Nobody will ever want them.

Go to Teruel, it is not overbuilt. Probably because Brits have not heard too much about it...

HOLA4418
Guest P-Diddly
I did look into buying there. Not that many properties for outsiders to buy and your not made overly welcome. I never really found out what winter was like.

Lovely place but it's the real seat of you know who/what . . . guessed it would be tricky.

Sod it! Just give in and more to

P

a

t

t

a

y

a

HOLA4419
Lovely place but it's the real seat of you know who/what . . . guessed it would be tricky.

Sod it! Just give in and more to

P

a

t

t

a

y

a

Ah yes, land of the LBFM's.

HOLA4420
What whether we have worse problems with overbuilt property than Spain or Ireland?

I think we have about as much problems (shops and city centre flats in our case) from the same cause, cheap credit

But to be honest, I can't be bothered - you just aren't worth it

Now you really can have the last word I'm exhausted with your blind "I-AM-RIGHT" ignorance

Have you ever considered going to a doctor about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_...nality_disorder

I think you'll find if anything its you who have the "i am right... ignorance"... go back through the thread and you'll see whats what.... as for your own failings you seem to want to continually define people.. this is your third attempt at it in almost as many posts... I'm not sad enough to see what that particular ailment might be called but safe to say as I said before you really are a very very odd individual....

If ,as it seems, you tire of this type of thing quickly then might I suggest in future when you have made a mistake you just admit it and move on rather than starting to hurl insults as you have done here.

HOLA4421
I think you'll find if anything its you who have the "i am right... ignorance"... go back through the thread and you'll see whats what.... as for your own failings you seem to want to continually define people.. this is your third attempt at it in almost as many posts... I'm not sad enough to see what that particular ailment might be called but safe to say as I said before you really are a very very odd individual....

If ,as it seems, you tire of this type of thing quickly then might I suggest in future when you have made a mistake you just admit it and move on rather than starting to hurl insults as you have done here.

Denial is not a river in Eygpt ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
We all know Costa Blanca , especially South from Alicante, is mainly a bad area and the Brits enclaves there are going to be inhabited.

But Majorca also has a big glut of properties so the prices are going to fall there too.

Formenterea might be the only safe place, as they did not have time to transform it into rubbish.

Well, I'm afraid I can't agree that there is a 'glut' of properties in Majorca (certainly not compared to the coast from Valencia to Gibraltar) or that all areas of Spain have been transfored into 'rubbish'. Obviously you are not a big fan of the country and you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you'll find its still a v. popular destination for many. Personally I think prices will fall in most places (Majorca included) but crash in areas where the developments got badly out of control (ie. Costa Blanca particularly). There's a difference in the scale of the damage.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest P-Diddly
Well, I'm afraid I can't agree that there is a 'glut' of properties in Majorca (certainly not compared to the coast from Valencia to Gibraltar) or that all areas of Spain have been transfored into 'rubbish'. Obviously you are not a big fan of the country and you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you'll find its still a v. popular destination for many. Personally I think prices will fall in most places (Majorca included) but crash in areas where the developments got badly out of control (ie. Costa Blanca particularly). There's a difference in the scale of the damage.

Si Senor!