House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevemo

Emergency Autumn Budget?

Yesterday we had the announcement that the 50p/Month phoneline tax was back on the agenda, to be introduced before the next election, possibly in the Finance Bill, today we have Mandelson announcing a review of the 50p tax rate bands (both discussed in other threads on here). The most likely date for the next General Election is May 6th 2010, meaning that parliament would be porogued before the easter recess, at the end of March (good Friday is on the 2nd April next year. Therefore there is not time for a March budget, followed by the passage of a Finance Bill to implement it. In 1997, the election was held on May 2nd, and the new governement announced a budget in July, I can't find any reference to John Major's outgoing government holding a budget immediately prior to the election in 1997, and I can't remeber two budgets in 1997. I was hoping that we would'nt have to suffer another Labour Budget, but these announcements give me the horrible feeling that the Chancellors Autumn Statement may turn into an emergency budget - please convince me that I'm wrong!

If I remember correctly, a lot of measures were announced to start in April 2010 including the 50p band and the amounts of rises in fuel duty and VED. I doubt another budget is needed since there'll be one after the election, no matter who it is.

If I remember correctly, a lot of measures were announced to start in April 2010 including the 50p band and the amounts of rises in fuel duty and VED. I doubt another budget is needed since there'll be one after the election, no matter who it is.

Yes and they already announced tax rises for 2011 - 50p on all national insurance bands - i assume because they knew last year that they might not be able to have a early 2010 budget so wanted to get it through in 2009.

And in any case for the past few years they have used the pre-budget report in the autumn as a mini budget anyway, so not really sure what the difference would be, unless they tried to have a second 2009 finance bill?

One of the nasty nasty things about nulabour is their ability to sneak in tax hikes years in advance

that and all their decisions are based on nonsense and spin

Thanks for that link, seeing it laid out like that and constantly increasing is pretty grim.

all pouring into the pants of Brown's favoured - the public servant non-jobbers, the bankers-offering-current-cabinet-jobs, the quango-hangers-on, and the dole-ites. That clock is like a tap of manna for them.

Edited by Si1