House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kingding

Found Anything Interesting?

Guest X-QUORK

When I was 12 a friend and I found a wooden chest about the size of a shoebox in a stream. We excitedly ripped it open expecting to find gold coins, only to find a clear plastic bag containing someone's ashes.

When I was 12 a friend and I found a wooden chest about the size of a shoebox in a stream. We excitedly ripped it open expecting to find gold coins, only to find a clear plastic bag containing someone's ashes.

:o Of all the things!!!

I think one of my strangest was a few weeks back actually when hiking up in Scotland, was climbing up a mountain in the middle of nowhere off the paths and came across a very old crashed aircraft, possibly some kind of fighter from the war wasn't really sure. I would have thought something like that would have been long gone but there it was.

Most odd.

Guest X-QUORK

I think one of my strangest was a few weeks back actually when hiking up in Scotland, was climbing up a mountain in the middle of nowhere off the paths and came across a very old crashed aircraft, possibly some kind of fighter from the war wasn't really sure. I would have thought something like that would have been long gone but there it was.

Most odd.

More common than you might think. The cost and effort to either remove or bury one of those mountain wrecks is so prohibitive that they often stay where they crashed.

As a kid we found what we were told was the remains of a U boat protruding from the sand and pebbles at low tide near Dunwich, Suffolk.

Guest anorthosite

Most odd.

Oh, they're everywhere. You can even get books on their locations.

Just been reading about this rather lucky chap and was wondering whats the strangest / most valuable thing you have ever found? be it by pottering about or metal detector. Anyone ever found or come across anything that would raise an eyebrow?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090924/tuk-an...ea-dba1618.html

Found a lump on my right testicle a few years back. Raised my eyebrow, I can tell you :huh:

When I were a young lad growing up in west wales we were messing around in some woodland when we found a car on its roof wedged between some trees. It was one of the first of the BMW 3 series, E21 I believe, very flash motor, we were climbing all over it and realized it was open. Inside had blood smeared all over the windscreen and soaked into the seats.

At that stage we were unsure of how long it had been their and remember being quite unconcerned. that was until i went round the back of the car and started trying to get into the boot, which was facing down the slope and obviously upside down. My mate was telling me not to incase the car slipped further down and over me, but i managed to push the button and use my feet to push the boot lid open. Just as it did 2 black bags fell out and slid further down the bank.

My mate jamp down to grab the bags and slid with them a little. I remember him grabbing one and un zipping it and he just looked at me. I new it was something interesting just by the look on his face, I jamp off the car and headed down to take a closer look. That was when I first saw the guy that must have been watching us all along. he was sat against a tree right at the bottom of the slope dressed in a big grey jacket, he had blood on his face and soaking through the jacket. He started shouting at us, and trying to get up but it was obvious he couldnt get to us, he was in a lot of pain and to us, looked seriously angry. we grabbed the bags and ran up to the car. He was yelling for his bags but my mate had them both and was just telling me to run. Once we were out of sight he stopped and threw a bag at my feet, I imediately unzipped it, looked inside and just zipped it up again. At 9 years old, the most money most people have seen is a few hundred quid. Even at this point I new there had to tens of thousands of pounds in these bags.

We ran to this place in the woods where we used to hang out and chuck rocks in the river, we new a place where we could stash the bags under a stone arch. we stuffed them in and ran home to get help.

After telling my mates parents and them calling the police, (we obviously didnt mention the bags) we ran back down to get the bags. When we got back, literally 2 hours later, there was only one bag in the stash. we couldnt figure it out, nobody new our stash place, and there couldnt have been anyone else around, but a bag had vanished. We must have walked for an hour, very carefully checking nobody was following us. we found the perfect place to bury the remaining bag of money, then ran straight home.

When we finaly got home the police were waiting for us and my mates dad looked angry. They said they had found the car, and that it looked like it had been their for a while, and that there was no sign of anybody needing help. They accused us of making it up and i was sent home after recieving a good bollocking from the police and my mates dad.

We decided to leave the bag for as long as possible and not to tell anyone, we made up loads of reasons and storys about where it had come from, why it was there, what had happened to the second bag, some reasonable, some bizzare.

But we both new what we saw, and we both still agree to this day that there were 2 bags, and that 1 vanished while we went for help. Looking back now, we can see there was more to that day than we will ever know, and certain events since then have shed light on the fact that we werent alone in those woods, and that we were lucky to come out in one piece. I have my theory, my good friend has his, we dont agree entirely on what lead those bags to be in the woods, but we agree on what we actually saw.

Guest anorthosite

I found a pair of pink lacy knickers in a hole on a trig point on a mountain on the north coast of Scotland.

I brought them home :lol:

When I were a young lad growing up in west wales we were messing around in some woodland when we found a car on its roof wedged between some trees. It was one of the first of the BMW 3 series, E21 I believe, very flash motor, we were climbing all over it and realized the it was open. Inside had blood smeared all over the windscreen and soaked into the seats.

At that stage we were unsure of how long it had been their and remember being quite unconcerned. that was until i went round the back of the car and started trying to get into the boot, which was facing down the slope and obviously upside down. My mate was telling me not to incase the car slipped further down and over me, but i managed to push the button and use my feet to push the boot lid open. Just as it did 2 black bags fell out and slid further down the bank.

My mate jamp down to grab the bags and slid with them a little. I remember him grabbing one and un zipping it and he just looked at me. I new it was something interesting just by the look on his face, I jamp off the car and headed down to take a closer look. That was when I first saw the guy that must have been watching us all along. he was sat against a tree right at the bottom of the slope dressed in a big grey jacket, he had blood on his face and soaking through the jacket. He started shouting at us, and trying to get up but it was obvious he couldnt get to us, he was in a lot of pain and to us, looked seriously angry. we grabbed the bags and ran up to the car. He was yelling for his bags but my mate had them both and was just telling me to run. Once we were out of sight he stopped and threw a bag at my feet, I imediately unzipped it, looked inside and just zipped it up again. At 9 years old, the most money most people have seen is a few hundred quid. Even at this point I new there had to tens of thousands of pounds in these bags.

We ran to this place in the woods where we used to hang out and chuck rocks in the river, we new a place where we could stash the bags under a stone arch. we stuffed them in and ran home to get help.

After telling my mates parents and them calling the police, (we obviously didnt mention the bags) we ran back down to get the bags. When we got back, literally 2 hours later, there was only one bag in the stash. we couldnt figure it out, nobody new our stash place, and there couldnt have been anyone else around, but a bag had vanished. We must have waled for an hour, very carefully checking nobody was following us. we found the perfect place to bury the remaining bag of money, then ran straight home.

When we finaly got home the police were waiting for us and my mates dad looked angry. They said they had found the car, and that it looked like it had been their for a while, and that there was no sign of anybody needing help. They accused us of making it up and i was sent home after recieving a good bollocking from the police and my mates dad.

We decided to leave the bag for as long as possible and not to tell anyone, we made up loads of reasons and storys about where it had come from, why it was there, what had happened to the second bag, some reasonable, some bizzare.

But we both new what we saw, and we both still agree to this day that there were 2 bags, and that 1 vanished while we went for help. Looking back now, we can see there was more to that day than we will ever know, and certain events since then have shed light on the fact that we werent alone in those woods, and that we were lucky to come out in one piece. I have my theory, my good friend has his, we dont agree entirely on what lead those bags to be in the woods, but we agree on what we actually saw.

Interesting read Tyler, thanks for sharing that. I found the odd jazzmag but that doesn't really compare.

So what did you and your mate do with the money?

Interesting read Tyler, thanks for sharing that. I found the odd jazzmag but that doesn't really compare.

So what did you and your mate do with the money?

Ye, it makes a great story, although by far the most interesting part I havn't told, But then this thread was about finding things.

The money. well, for various reasons it was a long time before we could even go and count the money, which was both scary and terribly frustrating, we fell out many times over it. We didnt really do anything with it. It got moved around, In the early days it got used for sweets, cigarettes, cider and fishing tackle, things that didnt draw attention. things your parents wouldnt notice. All i can really say is it gave us an amazing and very unique life as young lads, and developed an amazing relationship. Later it payed for Amazing times, travelling, party's, girls, generally nothing that you could keep, no nice clothes, no flash motorbikes, nothing to attract attention, i guess it payed for a lifetime of memories. Later it went on uni courses, surf trips, but i'd say if we broke it down the percentage would have been spent on beers lol. We both work now, both have other commitments. there is actually a small amount left. i think there allways will be.

Whilst playing a game of hide and seek as a kid, I found my mate Dave hid behind a tree out side next doors house.

Thats obviously not the amazing thing though, what happened after that was amazing

my other mate mike was hid behind the same tree!!! :o

Ye, it makes a great story, although by far the most interesting part I havn't told, But then this thread was about finding things.

The money. well, for various reasons it was a long time before we could even go and count the money, which was both scary and terribly frustrating, we fell out many times over it. We didnt really do anything with it. It got moved around, In the early days it got used for sweets, cigarettes, cider and fishing tackle, things that didnt draw attention. things your parents wouldnt notice. All i can really say is it gave us an amazing and very unique life as young lads, and developed an amazing relationship. Later it payed for Amazing times, travelling, party's, girls, generally nothing that you could keep, no nice clothes, no flash motorbikes, nothing to attract attention, i guess it payed for a lifetime of memories. Later it went on uni courses, surf trips, but i'd say if we broke it down the percentage would have been spent on beers lol. We both work now, both have other commitments. there is actually a small amount left. i think there allways will be.

That's brilliant.

Genuinely disposable income. No thought of investing - just enjoy it!

I will be looking out for crashed BMWs.....

Guest X-QUORK

Back in my days in the army I was doing a quick check of the engine/gearbox area on one of our helicopters just before it departed on a sortie. It was already turning and burning, and the check entailed having a cursory glance under the cowlings to check for signs of fire, though I'd been taught to use a torch and have a really good look for anything untoward.

I found the gearbox oil filler cap was off and dangling by a chain so told the pilot to shut the aircraft down. It turned out the big cheese Commanding Officer was the pilot and I started to worry that I might be about to get a bollocking for delaying him for what might be just a trivial problem.

To my relief he thanked me profusely and explained that had I not spotted the filler cap problem there was a real danger that the gearbox would've seized in flight and that would've meant curtains for him and his co-pilot. The engineers responsible were given a talking to and later bought me a crate of beer, and the CO saw fit to promote me, which was nice.

Guest Skinty

Ooh, whereabouts was this?

I'd moved into a new area and a new flat, and I remember thinking that I really needed a mirror, and a raincoat, as it was getting late in the year. Couple of days later, I was walking past a skip and in it was a mirror, and a decent olive green raincoat, looked like new. Odd. Served me well.

Most odd.

there are hundreds of those over the highlands of the UK

The peak district has many - owing to nearby aerodromes during the war, all at much lower altitude, and the mists due to the proximity of the Irish Sea

there are the remains, including 4 engines, wings, cockpit, the works, of an old US air force superfortress (same size as a LAncaster bomber) in a place in the hills near Glossop - has to be seen to be believed - you need to follow an accurate bearing off pathto find it, but it's incredible really.

did it make your dad's tomatoes grow any better?

In the early 'fifties my uncle, a general dealer, attended a Govt Surplus auction, and bought a solid-body Army lorry. It went very cheap, as there were several in the sale.

The rear doors were closed and padlocked. On getting it home, he opened it to find it contained around ten crated 350cc single cylinder BSA motorcyles, brand new in full khaki paint, panniers fitted, the lot.

Rogue that he was, surprisingly he phoned the auctioneers, who called the MOD vendors. Their reply was 'you bought it - the contents are yours'.

He sold the bikes one by one over the next year.

Guest X-QUORK
In the early 'fifties my uncle, a general dealer, attended a Govt Surplus auction, and bought a solid-body Army lorry. It went very cheap, as there were several in the sale.

The rear doors were closed and padlocked. On getting it home, he opened it to find it contained around ten crated 350cc single cylinder BSA motorcyles, brand new in full khaki paint, panniers fitted, the lot.

Rogue that he was, surprisingly he phoned the auctioneers, who called the MOD vendors. Their reply was 'you bought it - the contents are yours'.

He sold the bikes one by one over the next year.

A friend of mine collects those BSAs, I'll have to tell him that one.

I keep finding nose and ear hair and little balls of fluff in my navel.

The odd thing is, though i clear it all out, next time I look, it's back.

Public money was spent researching this, the BBC made a documentary about it. Apparently the fluff will be the colour of your underwear, vest, etc with the hairs on your chest and stomach actualy moving bits of fluff from them to your navel.

Why this happens is unknown but if you shave yourself bear of body hair you will no longer have the fluff in navel dilemma. Of course, real HPC off-topicers wax.

Guest absolutezero
When I were a young lad growing up in west wales we were messing around in some woodland when we found a car on its roof wedged between some trees. It was one of the first of the BMW 3 series, E21 I believe, very flash motor, we were climbing all over it and realized it was open. Inside had blood smeared all over the windscreen and soaked into the seats.

After telling my mates parents and them calling the police, (we obviously didnt mention the bags) we ran back down to get the bags. When we got back, literally 2 hours later, there was only one bag in the stash. we couldnt figure it out, nobody new our stash place, and there couldnt have been anyone else around, but a bag had vanished. We must have walked for an hour, very carefully checking nobody was following us. we found the perfect place to bury the remaining bag of money, then ran straight home.

What a fascinating story.

What's your theory and what's your friends?

And what's the "most interesting bit" you haven't yet told?