House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Trawlermen Last Night

Anyone else following these heroic fishermen? Battling the waves to bring us fine fish to eat?

When I look at Scotsmen like Brown and Darling I weep for that proud nation..

I'd like to see Mandleson on that gale and rain-lashed deck, hoping his hair spray can cope...

Anyone else following these heroic fishermen? Battling the waves to bring us fine fish to eat?

I was in Scotland recently and talking to some fishermen up there they reckoned 99% of what they catch goes to the continent.

Did have a pile of langoustines to myself though and definately spared a thought. :P

Was quality. Looks to be plenty of bounty in the North Sea left.

I couldnt understand what they were saying most of the time. Wish they left the subtitles on all the time.

Fair play to them - not a job I would want to do!

Apparently the series is a huge worldwide hit for the BBC.

No doubt mandarin sub-titles get around the accent problem.

Are the camera and production teams all effete Englishmen? It is nice to know that the Scots are still contributing something to our national wealth, but nicer still if the English are making the real money off their efforts. That is how the world should be.

yeah, I too thought it was just a Scottish "Deadliest Catch"

Still, not a job I'd be able to do

Yeah deadlyish catch :)

The real deadliest catch owns big time, the north sea is a nasty place but the bearing sea is a nightmare

Watched one today and the lads made 45 grand in 3 weeks (sig hansans boat) then in between king crab fishing while they waited for the opirio season to start they went cod fishing.

that family is mad for the sea and mad for the cash, cant fault them though

proper mental Norweigan vikings arnt they

More on the McBride case.

Imprisoned by the EU for fishing - Charlie McBride

Their house and boat seized

Now we treat our fishermen like drug dealers

Fishermen Charlie McBride and his son Charles are incarcerated in Walton Prison, Liverpool, a notoriously tough jail. The excuse? Among their catch were some species of fish that were not in their EU quota, and they had not thrown them overboard as EU rules insist.

Fishermen are forced to throw 90% of their catch, although dead, back into the sea to comply with appalling EU rules, which are hugely destructive to both fish stocks and to their livelihoods. (The EU gave most of Ireland’s and Britain’s fishing to other nations like Spain and France, and allow them to devastate our fish stocks.)

In December 2007 these two respected fishermen from Northern Ireland appeared in Liverpool Crown Court, having pleaded guilty earlier in the year to misidentifying catches of fish for which they had no EU quota. But instead of just asking for fines to be imposed on fishermen who break quota rules, the Marine Fisheries Agency (MFA) has a new tactic. It calls in the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) to use the Proceeds of Crime Act, designed to recover money from international drugs traffickers, money launderers and other major criminals.

In the case of Charlie and Charles McBride, their assets were valued at £1 million, including their boat and homes (valued at the height of the property boom). Judge Nigel Gilmour not only imposed on them fines of £385,000 – infinitely more than the value of the fish they had wrongly declared – but ruled that all their assets should be frozen as "proceeds of crime", even though the home and boat had been bought before the offences were committed. He also told the men that, unless they paid the fines within six months, they would go to prison for up to three years.

At their wits' end as to how to raise the money, the two McBrides negotiated a second mortgage on their homes. Charlie McBride presented Soca with £120,000, asking that it should be taken as a down-payment on the fine until he had somehow found the rest. The agency asked how he had come by the money and, when told that it came from remortgaging his house, told him that he would be charged with contempt of court because the house was a "frozen asset".

In March 2009 the two men were accordingly jailed for contempt, and having been allowed one phone call to his wife Karen, Charlie is now serving his sentence as a prison refuse collector. So delighted is the MFA with the Proceeds of Crime Act that it has used this sledgehammer tactic twice in the past year. Three Thames fishermen were fined £317,000 for catching sole for which they had no quota. (Most of the UK sole quota has been given to foreign fishermen.) In Spain, France and Italy fishing fines are either not imposed, or are 1,000 times less.

In January the owners and skippers of six Newlyn boats were fined £188,000 for catching hake for which they had no quota (though hake were abundant). Among those fined were an 83-year-old widow, Doreen Hicks, and 82-year-old Donald Turtle and his wife Joan. They were found guilty by Judge Wassell because they were part owners of boats skippered by their sons.

The absurdly disproportionate fines have caused serious hardship; but the McBrides are the first fishermen who have been not only ruined but sent to jail, thanks to the ruthless war waged by the MFA. French Fishermen were so horrified they blockaded British goods at the ports of Calais, Boulogne and Dunkirk in March 2009 on behalf of the McBrides.

The BBC, and nearly all other British media concealed this fact in their coverage. The Irish Fishermen’s federations, which appear to work for the EU and, like our government, seems to be run by EU collaborators, did not bother as usual; neither did the British unions. Yes, for these, and a thousand other reasons, the EU is a dictatorship.

http://eutruth.org.uk With thanks to Christopher Booker.

French Fishermen were so horrified they blockaded British goods at the ports of Calais, Boulogne and Dunkirk in March 2009 on behalf of the McBrides.

The BBC, and nearly all other British media concealed this fact in their coverage. The Irish Fishermen’s federations, which appear to work for the EU and, like our government, seems to be run by EU collaborators, did not bother as usual; neither did the British unions. Yes, for these, and a thousand other reasons, the EU is a dictatorship.

http://eutruth.org.uk With thanks to Christopher Booker.

Bastards. The French care more about our fisherman than the BBC does.