House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Sorry Mate

He will get paid the full value of it you know.

Its a very sensible arrangement IMHO.

The country gets first refusal effectively.

On the radio they said he splits the earnings with the owner of the land it was found on. Hope it's not 50-50, landowner should get a consideration I suppose but not half.

Sure, but I think it starts from the position you made the find on your own land (50%+50%=100%, I hope). Either way, it isn't like its being seized and mostly relevantly for the TFH fraternity, he will get many, many times the value of the shiny metal itself.

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk

No they won't get the real 'free' market value.

They get an amount set by a panel of museum/council odd bods which 99.9% of the time is far less than they would get at auction.

Many, many people have been ripped off by Museums this way.

The authorities tell people to be honest and declare 'finds' - then rip them off over the real values!

No they won't get the real 'free' market value.

They get an amount set by a panel of museum/council odd bods which 99.9% of the time is far less than they would get at auction.

Many, many people have been ripped off by Museums this way.

The authorities tell people to be honest and declare 'finds' - then rip them off over the real values!

I'd be interested who is right - you or cogs.

Clearly the value should be determined by auction - what people will pay - rather than a stitch up.

no, he will get a fraction of its value. The percentage that he gets probably won't even be in double figures.

BBC news was saying he would get up to 50% of its market value.

market value of the gold/silver weight at spot probably, certainly not the market/auction value of the items.

you only have to look at past awards for finds/hoards to what little is paid for them.

BBC news was saying he would get up to 50% of its market value.

I hope he signed off on the days he was planning to do paid work :lol:

On the radio they said he splits the earnings with the owner of the land it was found on. Hope it's not 50-50, landowner should get a consideration I suppose but not half.

I think 50% of the value will be pretty subsantial. I'd be happy with that.

Clearly the value should be determined by auction - what people will pay - rather than a stitch up.

Trouble is, if it goes to a museum it won't be auctioned off - who is to say what such a unique item would make at an auction?

market value of the gold/silver weight at spot probably, certainly not the market/auction value of the items.

you only have to look at past awards for finds/hoards to what little is paid for them.

My back garden is on the site of an old Viking - Anglo Saxon battlefield. If I find any swords with gold and silver inlaid it's going straight on the black market or into the smelt. B)

Guest happy?
I think 50% of the value will be pretty subsantial. I'd be happy with that.

So would I. Where do we apply?

It seems from this that you get a small share of the value. Based on this, if I found any I would keep it for myself and arrange to sell it to private collectors for top value.

It seems from this that you get a small share of the value. Based on this, if I found any I would keep it for myself and arrange to sell it to private collectors for top value.

Well good for you.

Wouldn't you?

Course you would.

No. If you get caught, you go to jail. If you try to sell it illegally then you have to get involved with criminals and you'll still only make a small fraction of the "true" value; in doing so you'll also deprive the country of an important part of its history and prevent archaeologists and historians form learning from it.

All we've had so far is a couple of unsubstantiated assertions that the finder is going to get "stitched up"; I'm still waiting for some evidence that this is the case.

No. If you get caught, you go to jail. If you try to sell it illegally then you have to get involved with criminals and you'll still only make a small fraction of the "true" value; in doing so you'll also deprive the country of an important part of its history and prevent archaeologists and historians form learning from it.

All we've had so far is a couple of unsubstantiated assertions that the finder is going to get "stitched up"; I'm still waiting for some evidence that this is the case.

This is the important bit. I'm going on the basis of consensus on here. If you do get full value you'd obviously trade it there.

I'm not worried about archaeologists.

Go on, give us some examples.

hmm..had a quick look, not that easy to find figures. I remember hearing about and reading about awards in the past but can't find details atm. I will look properly when have more time but do seem to remember that the guy who found the snettisham hoard was paid quite poorly - not sure if he was the one trying to take legal action against the museum for fair payment.

This is the important bit. I'm going on the basis of consensus on here. If you do get full value you'd obviously trade it there.

I'm not worried about archaeologists.

Luckily the state has made doing this illegal, which vastly increases the profits.