House Price Crash Forum

Hiv Vaccine Breakthrough - Tfh Warning !

ccc

HOLA441

This is one for the tin foil hatters. Top scientists for years have been working on a potential vaccine for HIV. Very little progress. Nothing much to tell. Now we are told that there has been a trial going on for years and it seems to have bona fide results. Not a complete vaccine as such - but definitely the biggest leap yet.

Who has been running this trial ? The US Army. :ph34r:

HIV Vaccine

Lot of TFH chat over the years about how this virus was man made by the US etc…

I am sure it most probably is nonsense. However this breakthrough just makes you think a little. All your top experts have not got anywhere. Yet the US Army hit the jackpot. Mmmm.

Tin foil hat firmly on !! Thoughts ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest P-Diddly
This is one for the tin foil hatters. Top scientists for years have been working on a potential vaccine for HIV. Very little progress. Nothing much to tell. Now we are told that there has been a trial going on for years and it seems to have bona fide results. Not a complete vaccine as such - but definitely the biggest leap yet.

Who has been running this trial ? The US Army. :ph34r:

HIV Vaccine

Lot of TFH chat over the years about how this virus was man made by the US etc…

I am sure it most probably is nonsense. However this breakthrough just makes you think a little. All your top experts have not got anywhere. Yet the US Army hit the jackpot. Mmmm.

Announcements like these are dangerous.

I asked a few old whores in Pattaya about attitudes towards the infection now.

It was as I suspected.

One of the older women, in her late 40's perhaps who works in a bar in the notorious Soi 6, said few of the girls worried about it [HIV] now as the government would give you free medicine to keep you alive. This is a worrying development.

Seems awareness of HIV/Aids has slipped in Thailand. Caution seems fully blown to the wind. It also seems the 30 Baht a day health care programme may reap what it sows with regard to STD's. A second wave of the epidenic is expected and I reckon already happening.

HOLA443

The US army has always been one of the World leaders in vaccine research, yeah, even in HIV vaccine research. Example of an earlier (failed) vaccine trial of theirs:

http://www.aegis.com/news/ads/1989/AD892256.html

The reason is simple: Pharma companies want to make money: No money in vaccines. Academics want to publish papers and get grants and keep their gravy train going: No ongoing grants if there's an effective vaccine, plus it requires a level of cooperation academics are generally not capable of. US army doesnt want it's people getting sick, answer, vaccines.

Google Yellow Fever Vaccine and Walter Reed if you want to see the long and illustrious history of the US army in vaccines.

No need for TFHs.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Since the virus has been around for at leat 30 years and quite probably a lot longer, I think we can rule that one out.

I want to know what happened about that lad who tested positive for HIV, received no treatment, then retested negative.

Probably a false +ve. The antibodies would remain.

HOLA446
I want to know what happened about that lad who tested positive for HIV, received no treatment, then retested negative.

Post some details and I'll try to post an opinion. I'm not familiar with the case.

Without seeing the details though, I'll say: False positives exist in all HIV diagnostic tests. Even though confirmation is done with a different test, statistically, you are going to get a small proportion of people who are FPs in two different tests.

HOLA447

I've heard of that. I'm sure that the obvious answer though is that it was simply an incorrect test first time round.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I believe that the false positive rate for the best HIV tests is about 1 in 10,000, so for every million people tested you'll find 100 matching the above.

HOLA4410
The US army has always been one of the World leaders in vaccine research, yeah, even in HIV vaccine research. Example of an earlier (failed) vaccine trial of theirs:

http://www.aegis.com/news/ads/1989/AD892256.html

The reason is simple: Pharma companies want to make money: No money in vaccines. Academics want to publish papers and get grants and keep their gravy train going: No ongoing grants if there's an effective vaccine, plus it requires a level of cooperation academics are generally not capable of. US army doesnt want it's people getting sick, answer, vaccines.

Google Yellow Fever Vaccine and Walter Reed if you want to see the long and illustrious history of the US army in vaccines.

No need for TFHs.

Doh. Missed that bit. Call me a cynic - but I imagine most armies are more concerned with making people sick than healing them.

HOLA4411
Post some details and I'll try to post an opinion. I'm not familiar with the case.

Without seeing the details though, I'll say: False positives exist in all HIV diagnostic tests. Even though confirmation is done with a different test, statistically, you are going to get a small proportion of people who are FPs in two different tests.

I'll try and find it, it was in the MSM. I think he tested a number of times as positive, but it just disappeared. There was talk of trying to find a cure using him as a guinea pig.

HOLA4412
Guest P-Diddly

Probably an ELISA test, not that reliable.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Doh. Missed that bit. Call me a cynic - but I imagine most armies are more concerned with making people sick than healing them.

Not at all. Check out historical casualty rates.

eg the Walcheren campaign, or VD rates in almost any campaign involving the US...

:)

HOLA4415
Not at all. Check out historical casualty rates.

eg the Walcheren campaign, or VD rates in almost any campaign involving the US...

:)

So the US Army cures people !! What will the TFH's say ?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Lot's of poor people have it.

I don't think that is the main reason. I imagine litigation and potential law suits, if it went wrong, was on their minds.

16,000 Yanks given a vaccine that makes them even worse = carnage.

16,000 Thais given the same = nobody bats an eyelid.

HOLA4419
Guest P-Diddly
I don't think that is the main reason. I imagine litigation and potential law suits, if it went wrong, was on their minds.

16,000 Yanks given a vaccine that makes them even worse = carnage.

16,000 Thais given the same = nobody bats an eyelid.

Lot's of poor people have it. This same, same.

HOLA4420
Lot's of poor people have it.

That's pretty much the size of it, I'd imagine: Pharma companies need to be careful about the PR foot-shooting possibilities of running a trial like this somewhere like this.. I'm guessing the US army has a more robust approach to bad PR. Also, you need a population with lots of chances of transmission to show a statistical effect. You arent going to get that in the US, unless, for instance, you can persuade 16,000 HIV negative gay men to sign up to take a ***** from a muscled-up man in a uniform. (Sorry, couldnt resist)

Edited to reduce potential offence caused.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived