House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
glastolover

Sold In Dec 2008, Details Still Not On Land Registry - Why?!

I STR'ed my house in Dec 2008. Now over 9 months later, details of this transaction have still not shown up in the LR data when I search on Zoopla or Nethouseprices. The last reported sale of the property is when I bought it in Feb 2002. Anyone know why this might be?

I sold at a realistic price for the time (15-20% off peak prices), am annoyed and mildly thinking it is a conspiracy that my constribution to the HPC (!!) is not being included in the LR data!!

Any thoughts?

who did you sell to - a BTLer or a flipper. It could be as simple as they've not registered it as they intend to flip it in short order and don't want the price they paid showing up.

If the buyer was not mortgaged, that's probably what's happened - harder to do if there is a bank involved.

who did you sell to - a BTLer or a flipper. It could be as simple as they've not registered it as they intend to flip it in short order and don't want the price they paid showing up.

If the buyer was not mortgaged, that's probably what's happened - harder to do if there is a bank involved.

is it legal to fail to register this sale?

is it legal to fail to register this sale?

it's a technical breach not to register it. The transfer is not void, there is nothing wrong with except you pay the fine - which is usually waived if you sweet talk the Land Registry well enough (I know I've got away with it at least a dozen times in the last decade - I've only been 'fined' once).

I STR'ed my house in Dec 2008. Now over 9 months later, details of this transaction have still not shown up in the LR data when I search on Zoopla or Nethouseprices. The last reported sale of the property is when I bought it in Feb 2002. Anyone know why this might be?

I sold at a realistic price for the time (15-20% off peak prices), am annoyed and mildly thinking it is a conspiracy that my constribution to the HPC (!!) is not being included in the LR data!!

Any thoughts?

Have you searched the LR data? Maybe it just hasn't arrived at those sites.

it's a technical breach not to register it. The transfer is not void, there is nothing wrong with except you pay the fine - which is usually waived if you sweet talk the Land Registry well enough (I know I've got away with it at least a dozen times in the last decade - I've only been 'fined' once).

I am not aware of any "fines".

A first registration maybe declined to be registered if it was not received within two months but there was no fines in respect of dealings with registered land. If it was not registered it is deemed not to have any effect in law until registration. IMHO

In answer to the OP, you have not supplied enough information, did you sell to a company? Was it a sale subject to a court order? Have you downloaded office copy of the register to see if and when the sale was registered?

I am not aware of any "fines".

A first registration maybe declined to be registered if it was not received within two months but there was no fines in respect of dealings with registered land. If it was not registered it is deemed not to have any effect in law until registration. IMHO

I am no property lawyer - though getting 395s done on time causes me enough hassle at times - but I thought the no late registration charge only related to contracts prior to Jan 2008. Though, applying 2 seconds of thought, it's the SDLT I am thinking about.

Excuse my ignorance, what is a flipper?!

In answer to the OP, you have not supplied enough information, did you sell to a company? Was it a sale subject to a court order? Have you downloaded office copy of the register to see if and when the sale was registered?

I sold it to a young couple, sale was certainly not subject to a court order!!! :blink:

As far as I know they had to get a mortgage (there was a fair amount of waiting around while we were told they were sorting their mortgage before we exchanged contracts).

I haven't downloaded the info from the LR website, just looking now that costs £4 for the "title register" and £4 for the "title plan", whatever all that means, and I am far too tight to do this just out of interest! I can't see anywhere else on the LR website where you can get the sold price for free unless someone can correct me? All I know is that on Zoopla and nethouseprices it is still not showing, and as I said, my purchase of the property in Feb 2002 is showing. Surely it should be through to these websites by now?

So if the LR details still show it registered in my name, what does that mean?

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Actually, those are fins, not flippers.

I'll get my coat...

Giving this a bump, I was hoping for some more constructive responses than the last few to this question. Those jokes are really not funny people.

Anyone going to restore my faith in HPC.co.uk and give some further sensible replies (some of the earlier ones were promising!), or is this too much to ask on a Friday afternoon?!

well I've bought a few title registers in the past, when thinking of buying a place (you can see when charges (=mortgages) were made on the property and to which bank/BS), and of course you should get the price

And I'm thinking of doing it for the house next door which I thought sold ages ago and still has not shown up.

Edit to add: just searched for the house in question and it warned me "Sorry, there is no price paid/value stated information available for this property. " so I won't fork out £4.

Edited by Farjer

I bought in May 2007 and it never showed up in the data even though I (or rather my solicitor) registered the purchase. The data is correct on LR they simply never published any data on it to Zoopla and the rest.

The house next door to me has sold twice in the two years since then and has showed up every time.

I might be able to help with this one as I worked at the Land Registry up until 18 months ago....

You are not the legal registered owner until you are the registered proprietor on the land registry database. It is likely your solicitor hasn't lodged the paperwork with the land registry. This is clear incompetence on their part. You will not be able to sell the property until you are the registered proprietor. I presume the solciitor will have pocketed the land registry fees from you (can be substantial depending on property price) and not done their work.

I would suggest you contact the solicitor immediately......Let me know if you require any further info.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. I am not complaining about not being the legal owner though, I sold the house!! If the LR think I am still the owner then that is not really an issue for me. Would be nice to think I could try to sell it again, but I don't quite think that would work. :P

My concern was more that the sale has not been registered with the LR, so it won't be reflected in their house price index. If this is happening a lot, then their index is not as definitive as you might think it is and won't be reflecting sales (like mine) at realistic below 2007 peak price levels.

Would have thought this would be of significant interest to the folk on this website...

As the registered proprietor I believe you can inspect the register for free in person at the Land Registry (this used to be the case). In the first instance you could telephone them and just say that you have heard that you are still registered as owner and ask them to check for you. They are quite helpful if you are polite.