House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
okaycuckoo

Gas Company Engineers Assaulted

I guess this goes here.

A bailiff told me today that engineers for gas companies are refusing to enter flats to switch off meters for unpaid bills because they're getting assaulted by the residents. Happening in Portsmouth and surrounding areas. He described one confrontation where a friend of his got kneecapped with a baseball bat.

I guess this goes here.

A bailiff told me today that engineers for gas companies are refusing to enter flats to switch off meters for unpaid bills because they're getting assaulted by the residents. Happening in Portsmouth and surrounding areas. He described one confrontation where a friend of his got kneecapped with a baseball bat.

I think we will see more of this kind of thing as the desperate years ahead wear on, from the "i'm worth it" chav brigade etc. Also, stealing electricity by bypassing the meter or running a wire up to a live pole will increase too, along with the occasional person fried (good riddance), as we descend to be more like our third world comrades. Indeed, many energy bypasses will be carried out by our third world immigrants who will teach our homegrown chavs a thing or two about poverty survival.

A mate of mine back in the last recession had a spare gas meter (if you look you just undo the two big nuts and the meter comes off).

As soon as the meter reader had just been by, he would swap the gas companies meter for his dodgy one (he got it from a place being demolished I think) leave that on for say, 7 or 8 weeks, then put the "real" meter back til the next meter read...... saved over half his gas bill, pretty safe (he was a CORGI plumber by trade, although unemployed during the recession), and hard to spot.....

<!--quoteo(post=2158902:date=Sep 23 2009, 04:14 PM:name=okaycuckoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (okaycuckoo @ Sep 23 2009, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2158902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess this goes here.

A bailiff told me today that engineers for gas companies are refusing to enter flats to switch off meters for unpaid bills because they're getting assaulted by the residents. Happening in Portsmouth and surrounding areas. He described one confrontation where a friend of his got kneecapped with a baseball bat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think we will see more of this kind of thing as the desperate years ahead wear on, from the "i'm worth it" chav brigade etc. Also, stealing electricity by bypassing the meter or running a wire up to a live pole will increase too, along with the occasional person fried (good riddance), as we descend to be more like our third world comrades. Indeed, many energy bypasses will be carried out by our third world immigrants who will teach our homegrown chavs a thing or two about poverty survival.

I went to a conference in the US once and met two Indian electrical engineers who worked for a large hotel chain. They said one of their main problems was continuity of supply, owing to problems caused by people clamping onto the power supply lines to steal electricity. Don't do this at home though.

http://images.burningman.com/gallery/richard.1993.jpg

You might end up like this.

I went to a conference in the US once and met two Indian electrical engineers who worked for a large hotel chain. They said one of their main problems was continuity of supply, owing to problems caused by people clamping onto the power supply lines to steal electricity. Don't do this at home though.

http://images.burningman.com/gallery/richard.1993.jpg

You might end up like this.

LOL. Yes it helps if you know what you are doing. But it is increasingly a first world problem too - an associate of mine is a BTL investor in California (and has lost heaps). One of his properties is a launderette on the ground floor with a rented apartment above (he runs the self-service unmanned launderette himself).

He started to notice his launderette power bills were higher than usual and eventually found that the tenants upstairs had been disconnected so then plugged in a heavy duty extension lead behind one of his machines, out the back window and upstairs then plugged the other end into one of their power sockets to spread the power around the disconnected apartment circuits. Simple, easy power stealing. Needless to say they were in breach of their tenancy agreement (at least!) and got the boot.

LOL. Yes it helps if you know what you are doing. But it is increasingly a first world problem too - an associate of mine is a BTL investor in California (and has lost heaps). One of his properties is a launderette on the ground floor with a rented apartment above (he runs the self-service unmanned launderette himself).

He started to notice his launderette power bills were higher than usual and eventually found that the tenants upstairs had been disconnected so then plugged in a heavy duty extension lead behind one of his machines, out the back window and upstairs then plugged the other end into one of their power sockets to spread the power around the disconnected apartment circuits. Simple, easy power stealing. Needless to say they were in breach of their tenancy agreement (at least!) and got the boot.

On a slightly different but related topic, there are several properties in my area which pay for no electricity. Their meters are read but no bills ever arrive and no billing agency will take them on. Lucky lucky bastards.

On a slightly different but related topic, there are several properties in my area which pay for no electricity. Their meters are read but no bills ever arrive and no billing agency will take them on. Lucky lucky bastards.

Why? How?

Peter.

Why? How?

Peter.

I'm not sure, but some of the housing stock is at least 400 years old. The water/gas/electricity supplies are all over the place and some houses share a water supply.

I'm not sure, but some of the housing stock is at least 400 years old. The water/gas/electricity supplies are all over the place and some houses share a water supply.

I lived in a house like that, had the heating full on all winter, fantastic!

I lived in a house like that, had the heating full on all winter, fantastic!

Do they ever find you out? Can they back-date the bills?

A mate of mine back in the last recession had a spare gas meter (if you look you just undo the two big nuts and the meter comes off).

As soon as the meter reader had just been by, he would swap the gas companies meter for his dodgy one (he got it from a place being demolished I think) leave that on for say, 7 or 8 weeks, then put the "real" meter back til the next meter read...... saved over half his gas bill, pretty safe (he was a CORGI plumber by trade, although unemployed during the recession), and hard to spot.....

Back at about the same time (early 90s) I knew some people on the dole who did a similar stunt - but they unbolted the meter and reversed it so that the flowmeter went backwards! Obviously they couldn't let the gas meter reader in at any cost as they reversed it back and forth to keep the reading that they phoned in v low, while having the gch on full blast all winter (bloody cold drafty terraced house).

But after over a year the gas co inisisted on reading the meter, and they had to put it back the right way and get a credible reading on it ASAP. It was a hot week in July and the meter had got a negative reading on it at reversal! So they had to open all the doors & windows in the kitchen and turn the gas cooker rings all on full - it was like a furnace in that kitchen. They managed to get a +ve reading on before it was read though.

True story, and like something out of Only Fools & Horses.

Since then I believe the utilities have redesigned the meters so they can't be reversed, i.e. differnt size fittings at each end, seals, flowmeters that only go one way, etc.

edit for sp & typos

Edited by newp

Back at about the same time (early 90s) I knew some people on the dole who did a similar stunt - but they unbolted the meter and reversed it so that the flowmeter went backwards! Obviously they couldn't let the gas meter reader in at any cost as they reversed it back and forth to keep the reading that they phoned in v low, while having the gch on full blast all winter (bloody cold drafty terraced house).

But after over a year the gas co inisisted on reading the meter, and they had to put it back the right way and get a credible reading on it ASAP. It was a hot week in July and the meter had got a negative reading on it at reversal! So they had to open all the doors & windows in the kitchen and turn the gas cooker rings all on full - it was like a furnace in that kitchen. They managed to get a +ve reading on before it was read though.

True story, and like something out of Only Fools & Horses.

Since then I believe the utilities have redesigned the meters so they can't be reversed, i.e. differnt size fittings at each end, seals, flowmeters that only go one way, etc.

edit for sp & typos

That's the funniest story, LOL. Not very environmentally friendly mind you.

Some people are so cheap - but when you hear stories of MPs, BBC bigwigs etc all claiming OTT expenses from our taxes, it takes away some of the personal shame/guilt in fiddling I reckon. In fact the expenses scandals are another reason we will see much more fiddling and tax evasion generally.

In fact the expenses scandals are another reason we will see much more fiddling and tax evasion generally.

+1

If the people who design and set up the rules are busy flouting them, then why should the rest of us bother to obey them. We are about to have a lot of MPs tell us how we need to cut back on public spending, when we know that they have been, and probably still are, thinking about ways in which they can take a bit more of the public purse for themselves,

Peter.

That's the funniest story, LOL. Not very environmentally friendly mind you.

Some people are so cheap - but when you hear stories of MPs, BBC bigwigs etc all claiming OTT expenses from our taxes, it takes away some of the personal shame/guilt in fiddling I reckon. In fact the expenses scandals are another reason we will see much more fiddling and tax evasion generally.

Sadly true. There's going to be a lot of people having to tighten their belts in the coming years, and being lectured in thrift by MPs who own strings of publicly funded and decorated houses (some BTL), will just trigger hollow laughs in many of them.

If they're caught fiddling,then they can just change the rule, viz Baroness Scotland:

The Sunday Times revealed last week that Scotland had received £170,000 from an allowance intended for ministers in the House of Lords who live outside London. This was despite the fact that the baroness has owned a family home in the capital for 15 years and tells the Lords it is her main address.

Before our article, the Cabinet Office could not have been more clear that Scotland should have received the allowance only if her main home was outside the capital.

However, less than 24 hours after the article was published, Baroness Royall, the leader of the Lords, sanctioned a statement by the Cabinet Office which overturned all its previous advice. It said the allowance was available to all lords who serve as ministers, regardless of where they live. LINK

You sort of start to think, why bother being 100% above board when senior politicians can claim for moat cleaning, etc. and pull stunts like the above?

Edited by newp