House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Making An Offer

What would the fora consider a good opening offer for a 400k property in these lean times?

I've never purchased a property before (hence my asking advice), and whilst we could debate the whys and wherefores for a while, I consider this a property worth sticking my neck out for (actually i consider now a poor time to buy, but if I can get it for the right price, hey ho).

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

PS I have no chain, financing in place and the seller is keen to sell.

What would the fora consider a good opening offer for a 400k property in these lean times?

I've never purchased a property before (hence my asking advice), and whilst we could debate the whys and wherefores for a while, I consider this a property worth sticking my neck out for (actually i consider now a poor time to buy, but if I can get it for the right price, hey ho).

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

450k at least. There is a dearth of available properties at the moment.

Or you could put your pen!s back in your pants and wait a year and buy it for 300k .......

Guest happy?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

In my experience it's difficult to revise your offer downward. You could start at say £7.50 and see if they bite at this.

Guest happy?
£7.55

£8.25, I'll throw in the dog-lead, my spare driving gloves and use of the first child when she comes of age. And that's my best offer.

Wow steady on girlies, not sure where the hostility is coming from there is certainly no need for it. Was actually a serious question, do people offer 20% under etc, but I guess most of the users of this forum appear to be too young to even take out credit, judging by your reactions.

PS I have no chain,

You may well have no chain , but it looks like your clearly trying to yank someone elses ........

Wow steady on girlies, not sure where the hostility is coming from there is certainly no need for it. Was actually a serious question, do people offer 20% under etc, but I guess most of the users of this forum appear to be too young to even take out credit, judging by your reactions.

its easy. you say to the agent...Id like to make an offer. Ive seen butter for 89p...now thats an offer i take up.

I will give you a serious response. Seems people on here do not like it when someone has a bit of cash in their sky rocket.

I think it depends on where you are in the UK, what other interest there is in it, is it fully marketed and how long has it been on for?

Im in a similar situation. I have discovered a house where the lady HAS to move due to divorce. She will market it next June and we can wait that long so all I have to do is make her an offer. Its difficult as I dont want to go in to high and I do want the house.

Good luck mate.

I will give you a serious response. Seems people on here do not like it when someone has a bit of cash in their sky rocket.

I think it depends on where you are in the UK, what other interest there is in it, is it fully marketed and how long has it been on for?

Im in a similar situation. I have discovered a house where the lady HAS to move due to divorce. She will market it next June and we can wait that long so all I have to do is make her an offer. Its difficult as I dont want to go in to high and I do want the house.

Good luck mate.

whats cash got to do with it....its the same whether you borrow or its cash....makes not one bit of difference to the seller.

Good luck mate.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. Yes its difficult isn't it - too low and the agent & vendor get pissed off and possibly wont show you any other houses, too high you risk saddling yourself with extra years of debt. This ones been on and off the market, over a period of about six months - bit complicated, but vendor has found somewhere and is very keen to sell, agent was very frank about that.

Also cheers for clearing up about the other replies.. bunch of kids i expect so no worries.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. Yes its difficult isn't it - too low and the agent & vendor get pissed off and possibly wont show you any other houses, too high you risk saddling yourself with extra years of debt. This ones been on and off the market, over a period of about six months - bit complicated, but vendor has found somewhere and is very keen to sell, agent was very frank about that.

Also cheers for clearing up about the other replies.. bunch of kids i expect so no worries.

next time you are in Sainsburies, please dont hold up the checkout while you decide which to use, the FRACKING CREDIT CARD, the INSULTING DEBIT card or some currency from her majesties realm.....cos no-one gives a toss.

fracking trolls.

One advantage with cash is that the mortgage cant be withdrawn at the last minute, but as you say when the sale completes it's money in the bank whether it all comes from the buyer or a mortgage lender.

tell that to holders of cash in Icelandic banks making offers a few months ago.

One advantage with cash is that the mortgage cant be withdrawn at the last minute, but as you say when the sale completes it's money in the bank whether it all comes from the buyer or a mortgage lender.

Yep very true. Also I never said it was a cash purchase so not sure where that came from. "No Chain" means I dont need to sell something in order to finance this one. It doesn't mean i'm buying outright with cash.

No Chain is an advantage because it means I am flexible on when I can move. I have been renting for the past 10 years and remain happy to do so for another six months or so, no worries.

Guest happy?

Well I was going to give a sensible answer - but as you've gone all girly-pouty I'm not sure I want to play anymore.

PS - And I'll let you have my old flymo too.

whats cash got to do with it....its the same whether you borrow or its cash....makes not one bit of difference to the seller.

Actually it does make a little bit of a difference. Cash buyers don't have to worry about lender valuations coming in at below their offer and having a mortgage offer withdrawn.

Actually it does make a little bit of a difference. Cash buyers don't have to worry about lender valuations coming in at below their offer and having a mortgage offer withdrawn.

thats true, but a cash buyer, as its his dosh, would likely have his own valuation done.

next time you are in Sainsburies, please dont hold up the checkout while you decide which to use, the FRACKING CREDIT CARD, the INSULTING DEBIT card or some currency from her majesties realm.....cos no-one gives a toss.

fracking trolls.

Troll? Listen fella i'm no troll I can assure you. If you choose to read something into my post that wasn't there, thats your lookout - lifes a bitch ain't it. Suggest you grow up or move along.

Troll? Listen fella i'm no troll I can assure you. If you choose to read something into my post that wasn't there, thats your lookout - lifes a bitch ain't it. Suggest you grow up or move along.

flora. more pricey than butter. troll.

Well I was going to give a sensible answer - but as you've gone all girly-pouty I'm not sure I want to play anymore.

PS - And I'll let you have my old flymo too.

lmao fair enough fella, no worries :P

flora. more pricey than butter. troll.

Wow, seriously, did you think that up by yourself? I'm impressed. No, really, I am - thats amazing. I must remember that. I secretly suspect you saw that on another website and thought "i'll have that, its really clever", but if you won't reveal that, its up to you. Good work fella.

:lol:

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

I've found that sellers have become unrealisticley bullish in the last couple of months and are holding out for close to asking prices. I think you'll be wasting your time trying to get a good price right now. Wait another 6 months at least. I am!