House Price Crash Forum
weebag

Broadband Tax

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news...t-election.html

A controversial broadband tax on every telephone user in the country will come into force by the general election, according to a Government minister.

Stephen Timms, the minister for Digital Britain, said the tax would be presented to Parliament later this year or early next year.

The £6 annual fee will be levied against every home phone line, regardless of whether or not the owner is already connected to a broadband internet service, with the £175 million raised to be used to pay for the next generation of super-fast broadband services.

Most people believed the tax, announced earlier this year, would not come into force until after the election, if at all. The Conservatives have voiced serious concerns about the tax and threatened to derail the levy.

John Whittingdale, a Conservative MP who chairs the Department for Culture, Media and Sport select committee, said his party was almost certain to vote against the broadband tax. He said: "I object to it on the basis that it is another tax, and is aimed at people who are using old technology."

Others have questioned whether the levy will cover the true cost of a broadband upgrade. Michael Phillips, product director for comparison site BroadbandChoices.co.uk said: “Our concern is that the upgrading of the UK’s broadband infrastructure is a mammoth undertaking and this unpopular tax will barely make a dent in the likely total cost.

The government has pledged universal broadband for all, at speeds of at least two megabits per second, by 2012.

Mr Timms said the tax should be made law in the next few months. "We want to make high speed networks nationally available," he told an audience at a debate organised by the BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT. "The next-generation fund will help that and we will legislate for it this side of a general election."

The broadband tax was one of a number of recommendations outlined by Mr Timm's predecessor, Lord Carter, in the recent Digital Britain report, which set out the government's plans for encouraging innovation, growth and participation in the internet age.

The tax could feature in the Digital Economy Bill, which is due before the House in November or as part of the Finance Bill, which will be presented after the Budget.

Bast@rds!

The £6 annual fee will be levied against every home phone line, regardless of whether or not the owner is already connected to a broadband internet service,

what next - the london congestion charge will be levied against every car owner regardless whether they enter London

or not .!!

Can any of the geeks on this forum think of any internet service that would benefit from investing £zillions into a superfast high speed network?

I can think of only one: BT/Virgin/etc want to push TV channels over broadband.

And why should I be subsidising this? :angry:

Guest P-Diddly
A tax giving rural areas broadband is well worth paying, they provide your food, or have you forgotten?

You can get no more rural than where I'm sat and I can get 2mb broadband here now.

You can get no more rural than where I'm sat and I can get 2mb broadband here now.

7 miles from nearest supermarket/cashpoint etc... 8mb here.:P

But I used to live somewhere closer to 'the smoke' and the broadband was ermmm.... variable at best :P

Guest P-Diddly
7 miles from nearest supermarket/cashpoint etc... 8mb here.:P

But I used to live somewhere closer to 'the smoke' and the broadband was ermmm.... variable at best :P

No chance 8mb anywhere here. I'm about an hour away from the nearest big town. Got 3g now too.

A tax giving rural areas broadband is well worth paying, they provide your food, or have you forgotten?

True, but the article clearly states that 2 goals are being mixed together:

1. "superfast broadband", which will be a big money spinner for the ISPs.

2. rural broadband, which is the excuse they use to slap the tax on.

I have no objection to 2, I have a very strong objection to subsidising 1. :angry:

EDIT: typo.

Edited by DeepLurker

Guest UK Debt Slave

There's no limit to what they'll tax to keep the bankrupt state afloat

I they think they can tax the air you breathe and get away with it, they will.

That is the logical conclusion of where we are heading and right now I can't see the sheeple lifting a finger to stop them

Edited by UK Debt Slave

Guest P-Diddly
True, but the article clearly states that 2 goals are being mixed together:

1. "superfast broadband", which will be a big money spinner for the ISPs.

2. rural broadband, which is the excuse they use to slap the tax on.

I have no objection to 2, I have a very strong objection to subsidising 1. :angry:

EDIT: typo.

Where do they mean 'rural'? I mean the UK's a pretty small place, covered in phone masts, is anywhere really rural? How many people does this include.

I reckon they'll get 120 million quid a year, spend 3 million of it advertising the non-fact that they are putting in 'rural' broadband, of which about 17 old people might be able to do their Tesco shop online (if they can figure out how to turn the PC on) somewhere outside Durham.

The other 117 million quid will go on bankers bonuses.

I assume that after we pay for this via our taxes it will be free for us to use because we paid for it?

No, didn't think so.

It's to prop up BTs pension fund.

i think this demonstrates the evil nature of our government. Just tax stuff, tax anything, what ever they can think of, windows, shoe tax, haircuts, blood, sex and what not. England is famed globally for its aggregate tax (digging holes) and its landfill tax (filling holes), both of which require alot of govt assistance.

threes no reason for the tax, it'll kust be used for murdering foriegn people in their own country like Iraq or Afganastan.

They can just see an opportunity.

How about a governemtn that eliminates tax? Oh no, that would mean they would have less to spend, and we all know how they like to spend other peoples money.

an evil tax, like most others, from an evil government.

Edited by 51%deposit

Can any of the geeks on this forum think of any internet service that would benefit from investing £zillions into a superfast high speed network?

I can think of only one: BT/Virgin/etc want to push TV channels over broadband.

And why should I be subsidising this? :angry:

1984's viewscreen? :ph34r: and we get to pay for it! :lol: They can then tax you for having an extra shit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

The novel has become famous for its portrayal of pervasive government surveillance and control, and government's increasing encroachment on the rights of the individual. Since its publication, many of its terms and concepts, such as "Big Brother", "doublethink", "thoughtcrime", and "Newspeak" have entered the popular vernacular. The word "Orwellian" itself has come to refer to anything reminiscent of the book's fictional regime. The book is generally considered to be George Orwell's magnum opus.

Move along there is nothing to see here....

This is the UK. If we weren't made to pay the extra tax BT would have to use some of their profits instead. This might mean their fat cat's pay, bonuses and share options might be lower. Everything in the UK is now geared to propping up fat cat pay and bonuses - this is the role of serfs. Pay up and shut up.

I would vote for any party that implemented an "ipod or mp3 player on a bus/train tax" as they are fecking annoying. I'd also tax all mobile phones with speakers, and bring a class action against LG, Sony Ericson, Nokia for the public nuisance their products are. Thats todays grumble over with.

Edited by SavingForAShed

Guest P-Diddly
I would vote for any party that implemented an "ipod or mp3 player on a bus/train tax" as they are fecking annoying. I'd also tax all mobile phones with speakers, and bring a class action against LG, Sony Ericson, Nokia for the public nuisance their products are.

Any ringer tone that sounds anything other than a telephone should be taxed at 500%.

I would vote for any party that implemented an "ipod or mp3 player on a bus/train tax" as they are fecking annoying. I'd also tax all mobile phones with speakers, and bring a class action against LG, Sony Ericson, Nokia for the public nuisance their products are. Thats todays grumble over with.

+1. I always head for the "quiet carriage" on a train. But I think (hope) this is a transitional time and will improve, just as the battle against smokers on the buses/trains was pretty-much won sometime before the government legislated on the subject.

Now can we have a carriage free of chips, burgers, batter, and other such stomach-churning smells?

tax all car stereos that are audiable from the car in front, and, when viewed in the rear view mirror, cause the hanging ornaments from the car playin the noise to visibily vibrate thus indicating severe noise issues than can only hinder a drivers perception and constitute a road hazard, without said road hazard being illegal..

either that or kill all loud stereo players.

Guest P-Diddly
tax all car stereos that are audiable from the car in front, and, when viewed in the rear view mirror, cause the hanging ornaments from the car playin the noise to visibily vibrate thus indicating severe noise issues than can only hinder a drivers perception and constitute a road hazard, without said road hazard being illegal..

either that or kill all loud stereo players.

Unless they're playing your favorite Barry Manilow, right 51%?

I have my home broadband and tv package with virgin media and don't have a landline - you don't need one. So am I not going to be charged then? ;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: