House Price Crash Forum

Blowing My Laptop Keeps It Turned On

loginandtonic

HOLA441

if you recall...

my laptop getting hot, went slower + slower, occasionally turning itself off, usually while virus scanning but sometimes while 'idling'.

not saying everyone should try this, but with a mouth as dry as possible (checking my lack of sales on ebay always works for me) i blew through the slots underneath + on the side of the laptop. Not long after that, fans quietened + laptop's working speed picked up back to normal, so far so good... who needs compressed air (or who can be bothered to go to Madlins and buy any)

edit: i blew hard, not the sort of gentle blowing u might do into the ear of your boss as you sit on his knee, i mean really hard like its a birthday cake + you're 97 but have some puff

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest P-Diddly
if you recall...

my laptop getting hot, went slower + slower, occasionally turning itself off, usually while virus scanning but sometimes while 'idling'.

not saying everyone should try this, but with a mouth as dry as possible (checking my lack of sales on ebay always works for me) i blew through the slots underneath + on the side of the laptop. Not long after that, fans quietened + laptop's working speed picked up back to normal, so far so good... who needs compressed air (or who can be bothered to go to Madlins and buy any)

edit: i blew hard, not the sort of gentle blowing u might do into the ear of your boss as you sit on his knee, i mean really hard like its a birthday cake + you're 97 but have some puff

Is it an HP?

HOLA444
Guest P-Diddly
I would recommend that all laptop users do this procedure at least every 6 months or so. You can buy a can of compressed air just for this sort of job.

Vacuum cleaner? Remove the dust? Or does it remove capacitors and such like too?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest P-Diddly
Crap in and around the fan ducts. Laptops have mediocre heat dissipation so any dust quickly reduces performance.

I gave up with these fvckin' laptop sh1te feckin' things. Two blown up in 18 months. Got a new Quad core desktop for now. I'll pick up a new laptop next time I'm in NY, these things can't handle the heat here, even with an 18" fan full blast on the damn . . . god damn fvckin' . . . piece a' god damn sh1t . . . fvckin' things!

HOLA4410
I just tried, but I'm finding it difficult to keep my balance.

You've just brought a pre-war motoring gag featuring an Irishman, a broken down car, an RAC man and the problem of 'crap in your carburettor' - into the computer age!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

13374.jpg

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giotto...r-blower/p13374

I regularly use one of these for my army of desktops and my laptop. Works a treat. It's meant for blowing dust off lenses. I wouldn't ever used compressed air myself. It's expensive and there's still propellant in the air and environmentally unfriendly. I've heard reversing a vacuum cleaner can mean a build up of static electricity, besides it's too much hassle. Just grab a giottos rocket air blower, open up the computer outside and spend a few minutes squeezing it and blowing off the dust.

HOLA4413
13374.jpg

I regularly use one of these for my army of desktops and my laptop. Works a treat. It's meant for blowing dust off lenses. I wouldn't ever used compressed air myself. It's expensive and there's still propellant in the air and environmentally unfriendly. I've heard reversing a vacuum cleaner can mean a build up of static electricity, besides it's too much hassle. Just grab a giottos rocket air blower, open up the computer outside and spend a few minutes squeezing it and blowing off the dust.

is it dishwasher safe?

HOLA4414
Guest P-Diddly
13374.jpg

Do you RAM that up yer HD, Skinty? Bet that blows the cobwebs out.

(What I really want to know is, why positive pressure just blowing dust around the device, when it really needs removal via the application of negative pressure, i.e., a vacuum cleaner?)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

(What I really want to know is, why positive pressure just blowing dust around the device, when it really needs removal via the application of negative pressure, i.e., a vacuum cleaner?)

buy yerself a sibley...poke him in the back slot and let the hair do its job.

HOLA4417
Guest P-Diddly
buy yerself a sibley...poke him in the back slot and let the hair do its job.

I've had two HP laptops go bang. First was a DV6000 that would just cut out after 30 mins, in the end it's alive for 5 mins then BING!

Other is a DV2000 (T9300 dual core, 4mb ram) that kept shutting down, well sort of and then had to go through the DOS bit to get Windows started. Time after time after time. Well it's truly fvcked now because it bumped into the adjacent wall at about 40 mph.

HOLA4418
I've had two HP laptops go bang. First was a DV6000 that would just cut out after 30 mins, in the end it's alive for 5 mins then BING!

Other is a DV2000 (T9300 dual core, 4mb ram) that kept shutting down, well sort of and then had to go through the DOS bit to get Windows started. Time after time after time. Well it's truly fvcked now because it bumped into the adjacent wall at about 40 mph.

well theres your problem right there...pavillion are the toys of the HP brand...get a pucker business version, cost a bit more but they are tougher...thats what the HP rep told me anyway...and they come with XP preloaded too.

HOLA4419
if you recall...

Spit or swallow?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yes, it needs to be removed. Sometimes though you need something to blow it to break it free and then use something to suck it out.

Just blowing dust around a PC is more likely to do harm than good.

I think most of these air can firms used to make money in the days of film cameras but, now that that market is dead, they have cleverly, IMPO, targeted the PC business. All very good if the air cans loosen the dust but hopeless, IMPO, if you do not then remove it.

HOLA4423

Yes, it needs to be removed. Sometimes though you need something to blow it to break it free and then use something to suck it out.

Just blowing dust around a PC is more likely to do harm than good.

I think most of these air can firms used to make money in the days of film cameras but, now that that market is dead, they have cleverly, IMPO, targeted the PC business. All very good if the air cans loosen the dust but hopeless, IMPO, if you do not then remove it.

HOLA4424
Guest P-Diddly
well theres your problem right there...pavillion are the toys of the HP brand...get a pucker business version, cost a bit more but they are tougher...thats what the HP rep told me anyway...and they come with XP preloaded too.

I'm waiting for a decent Quad Core with 8GB RAM to be available.

Yes the Pavillion things are pretty dire to be honest, although this Quad Core desktop is good, Q8400 Quad core, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 640 GB HD, Geforce GT220, loaded with XP (real not dodgy, had to specify that in the store, big chain store too, they wanted to load a pirate copy on). All in about £450 here.

About £2000 for a decent business HP laptop.

HOLA4425

As for the blow / suck thingy. I open up the casing and blow the dust away so it floats off in the wind. The air rocket sends a highly directed blast of air that will shift any dust.

If that doesn't work then it might be that you need to change the thermal paste. Air does not transmit heat too well so the manufacturers put a thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink to help cool it. Over time this can dry out and if your laptop dies after about 5 minutes of any processing, or even being switched on, then you may need to change it. It's fiddlesome but you just have to be patient to figure out how the damn thing fits together.

As to suggestions that I use a rocket ball for artificial insemination, that's just plain ridiculous and immature.

I use a shovel.

Archived