House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Sudden Number Of Calls And Emails From It Agents

...I have had numerous calls and emails from IT agents about jobs... bearing in mind I have not updated my details with any IT agency in about 3 years this is indeed interesting.

Usuually this happens when the economy is about to take off as companies begin planning spending, growing and modernising.

Have to say, this is at odds with what I am hearing is going on re companies just spending enough on IT to keep ticking over and no one I personally know of is looking to do a major IT spend at present... so, all in all, very odd to be getting such calls.

And then you have this...

Unemployed graduate in sandwich-board job hunt

Saddled with £20,000 debts since leaving university, he has sent out hundreds of CVs and even offered to work for free.

For 24-year-old David Rowe, this was the last resort. In a scene reminiscent of the Great Depression, he took to the streets of London to plead for a job.

The history graduate has pounded the Fleet Street area past law firms and investment-banks in his sharp suit with a billboard round his neck bearing the words Job Wanted.

He even offers to work for nothing for the first month, giving bosses the chance of a trial before they hire him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...l#ixzz0RvRFfiOR

article-0-068AB619000005DC-260_233x606.jpg

...I have had numerous calls and emails from IT agents about jobs... bearing in mind I have not updated my details with any IT agency in about 3 years this is indeed interesting.

Usuually this happens when the economy is about to take off as companies begin planning spending, growing and modernising.

Have to say, this is at odds with what I am hearing is going on re companies just spending enough on IT to keep ticking over and no one I personally know of is looking to do a major IT spend at present... so, all in all, very odd to be getting such calls.

I dunno, my partner is in IT and from what I've seen over the last 12 years, it seems that companies always sack way too many people in IT when the going gets tough, then they're all surprised that 2 people cannot cover 7000 users and hire back contractors because at least they save on PAYE contributions. Not necessarily a sign of green shoots, unless you're being offered unlimited employment on a firm contract.

Ceinwyn

Nice board, did he get it on credit, I wonder - and where are his contact details, on the "back side" ? :rolleyes:

article-0-068AB619000005DC-260_233x606.jpg

er...history graduate from the University of Kent...says it all really. The government has hoodwinked millions of teenagers into thinking that getting some Mickey Mouse degree from some rubbish polyversity will instantly give them a passport to the investment banking/law graving train. It is just another way of enslaving the masses with debt.

Guest Skinty
er...history graduate from the University of Kent...says it all really.

Nowt wrong with the University of Kent.

Serves him right for doing a history degree. What's the point of that?

There's nothing wrong with a traditional arts subject. I'm a science grad but I don't appear to have fallen foul of that sort of bs snobbery.

There's nothing wrong with a traditional arts subject.

Except it doesn't really enable you to do anything immediately productive in most companies. Which means graduates in arts & humanities will find it harder to get first jobs during a recession.

Except it doesn't really enable you to do anything immediately productive in most companies. Which means graduates in arts & humanities will find it harder to get first jobs during a recession.

Brilliant. We must live in quite an impoverished society then when people find it quite normal to think every step of your life must serve to increase your economic prospects. After all what chance does a history graduate have of ever purchasing a house these days compared to some dude that's studied business and finance?

Then again perhaps I'm still too attached to the old glory days of going to Uni on a full grant so that you can sit in the pub wearing torn up clothes putting the world to rights during a recession. Nowadays putting the world to rights is done on an internet forum while the students work 2 jobs just to cover their designer labels. I find it amazing how phucked up that is.

Guest happy?
That's semiologically interesting. Why is his weight important?

Advertising and marketing... first to go in a recession.

Low weight would be indicative of poor health - tuberculosis possibly? One of the medical types on here might know.

Brilliant. We must live in quite an impoverished society then when people find it quite normal to think every step of your life must serve to increase your economic prospects. After all what chance does a history graduate have of ever purchasing a house these days compared to some dude that's studied business and finance?

If you are going to incur £20K+ of debt to get the eduction, I would suggest that it should a least leave you in a better position to secure employment than before you started.

The world certainly does need history and humanities graduates. Just fewer of them.

First degrees are getting to the stage where they are so common as to be practically worthless now anyway. Personally, I would much prefer a return to a meritocratic approach with free tuition and grants for living expenses. But that won't happen as long as University is seen as a right and a handy way to keep the young off the dole.

BTW, I left school at 16 and do not possess a degree.

That's semiologically interesting. Why is his weight important?

Advertising and marketing... first to go in a recession.

Bill Hicks

If you are going to incur £20K+ of debt to get the eduction, I would suggest that it should a least leave you in a better position to secure employment than before you started.

The world certainly does need history and humanities graduates. Just fewer of them.

First degrees are getting to the stage where they are so common as to be practically worthless now anyway. Personally, I would much prefer a return to a meritocratic approach with free tuition and grants for living expenses. But that won't happen as long as University is seen as a right and a handy way to keep the young off the dole.

BTW, I left school at 16 and do not possess a degree.

Oh I do see your point, and like I say, my mindset is still stuck somewhere in the glory days. The problem is when the creation of economically productive drones > the inspiration of young minds there's no point in having Universities anyway. Another thing this wonderful Government can lay claim to.

Maybe they think you are up for the sack for wasting too much time on forums?