House Price Crash Forum
punter

Vince Cable Grilled

Not seen him much on video before, he was crap, have to agree with richard littlejohn after viewing that.

From the fawning coverage Cable receives, you'd have thought he was the only man alive who saw the credit crunch coming.

Plenty of pundits warned that levels of borrowing, especially in the mortgage market, were unsustainable and it would all end in tears. But Cable has hoovered up the kudos.

He is the Chauncey Gardiner of modern British politics. His every utterance is seized upon as if it contains a unique insight into our economic malaise.

Yet his first concrete proposal on taxation, intent on hammering those who live in million-pound homes, is guaranteed to alienate wet Tory voters in the south of England, who might just conceivably be converted to the Lib Dem cause.

If he had bothered to look around his own Twickenham constituency, he'd realise that a seven-figure house price tag is no sure-fire indicator of great wealth.

Why does he think George Osborne's promise to raise the inheritance tax threshold proved so popular?

Many of those £1million-plus homes are mortgaged up to the hilt, with couples working all hours to meet the repayments, or owned by retirees on fixed incomes who simply can't afford an arbitrary increase in their tax bills.

It always comes as something of a nasty surprise to those who live outside London, but even in some of the scruffier suburbs £1 million only buys you a semi.

Claiming that any such supertax would only hit foreign billionaires such as Roman Abramovich and Lakshmi Mittal was deliberately disingenuous, designed to ingratiate himself with the party faithful.

Roy Hattersley wrote recently that he shared a platform with Cable and they agreed on everything. Sounds about right.

Which makes you wonder why Vince didn't join the Labour Party.

If he's as good as we are led to believe, he would have risen rapidly, probably at the Treasury, and would have been in a position to either prevent the credit crunch or dig us out when it hit the fan.

Instead, he is content to snipe from the sidelines, indulged by sycophants while remaining immune from the scrutiny and responsibility of office.

Cable could have been a contender. He's settled for being a cult.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...ician-make.html

Edited by Mammon

Not seen him much on video before, he was crap, have to agree with richard littlejohn after viewing that.

Wash your mouth out with soapy water.

There is never any excuse for that sort of talk.

Cable is utterly destroyed in this one.

http://order-order.com/2009/09/19/brillo-v...boiling-a-frog/

The man is no Sage, the BBC just 'bigged him up' to detract from the Tories.

Agreed!

You should see the 'Cult' praise (from Andrew Neil) Cable got on BBC Hardtalk - pathetic!

Agreed!

You should see the 'Cult' praise (from Andrew Neil) Cable got on BBC Hardtalk - pathetic!

Didn't see that, but otherwise I think Andrew Neill is the only interviewer worth watching. Paxman just throws his weight around until he meets someone bigger (I remember Alastair Campbell pimp-slapping him on Newsnight) and Frost is a fawning joke. Brillo seems to prepare well and constructs his attack.

At least Cable (of whom I am no fan) put himself there. Anyone got one of Osborne/Darling with Brillo?

It's certainly a nonsense, ill-thought out policy suggestion and I suspect Cable thinks so too. Unfortunately he's become the sole spokesperson for the Lib Dems - I certainly rarely see Clegg or others being interviewed - and, as we all know, it's difficult to speak with conviction about something in which you don't entirely believe or agree with.

I'm certainly not defending the chap for his performance here but I do quite like him and certainly far more than any other politician at the moment.

He wasn't the only person to foresee the crash but he was the only one to voice it in the place where something could be done to prevent it (even if it did fall on deaf ears and was jeeringly dismissed by our illustrious leader).

I suspect this attempt to grab headlines and win votes might have backfired on them and they're beginning to realise it.

A land value tax is exactly what we need in this country to curb speculation. Unfortunately this method of bringing it in (thinking bashing the rich would be popular) doesn't really go with the LibDems honesty claims. And it's a bit clumsy.

They should have put their cards on the table from the start and said this tax was to help prevent property booms. Maybe just apply CGT to property transactions.

I'm sure the rich would just have their houses owned by charitable trusts based in Jersey though.

What are you all talking about? I wouldn't say he was destroyed in this at all. I have seen Paxman destroy politicians in the past and this was a pretty mild interview. I thought Cable answered everything he was asked and didn't do the usual trick of rephrasing the question to one he wanted to answer. Nothing to see here IMO.

I'm in agreement with Bear Monger.... no mauling at all going on there, if that is some peoples idea of mauled they've had an easy life. That wasn't grilled either...not even lightly sauted.

Edited by Smog

What I find most entertaining is the rare occasions when the interviewees get the better of Paxman and he's the one doing the squirming. I did see this once, recently, but I can't remember who he was interviewing.

The way it fell apart for Jeremy on that occasion was that he asked a fairly inconsequential question that the guest failed to answer to his satisfaction. Paxman just insisted on repeatedly asking this question (tell me, in one simple yes or no answer, do you or do you not....?), which anyone could see wasn't going to be answered and he looked increasingly silly because it was not all that important to the content of the interview.

Edited by blankster

From what I have seen of Cable he seems to understand the problems but always comes up with the wrong solution. e.g. "We have had too much debt. We need to get banks lending again."

In a parallel universe he would be an analyst programmer from the late 70s early 80s.

1. Cable has dropped a bollock. Tho i broadly agree with the way the Libs are positioning themselves.

Soak the uber rich. Reverse the Cyclots 18% cgt rate for a start.

2. Paxo (and most of broadcast news figureheads) would be affected.

A heady combination.

Paxo, normally totally out of his depth on the economy, managed to understand this one.

Much like the way that the counrys drones managed to get riled by the expenses scandal.

Never seen Vincey so rattled. Got a bit ahead of himself didnt he?

The nation has been painted a picture of reality in the last 3-4 days by the Libs, and has collectively said "no thanks".

The Cable has shown he's not really that bright.

He is just a good commentator and not good with anything practical.

Yet another tax. Bad.

Britain's only tax on capital. Really bad.

Pee off people on large properties. Including Queen. Probably Bad.

Nightmare to administer (last ratings valutaion: 2005. Current status: postponed). Doh.

Raise a lot of money? 200,000* 1,500,000 * 1% = £3bn. OK not bad.

Another thing: its an old chestnut, but there is no moral reason why private individuals have the unique right to speculate in property without paying ever CGT on the gains, when investing in anything else gets clobbered.