House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Australian Teenagers Find $100,000 – And Hand It In

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6842242.ece

Two teenage brothers, fishing for bass and catfish in a secret water hole near a picturesque country town in eastern Australia, thought that they had won the lottery when they hooked a bag of money last week.

Hidden in grass just metres from the creek bank, the boys discovered a package wrapped in plastic and containing A$100,000 (£53,000) in various denominations.

After realising that there may be something more sinister behind the stash, they decided to hand the loot in to the local police – after spending three weeks mulling over whether to keep it.

The teenagers contacted the police on Friday after revealing their extraordinary find – wads of $20 and $50 notes bundled together with rubber bands – to their mother and getting some legal advice.

“We just don’t want any trouble,†one of the boys, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Lismore Northern Star newspaper. “We were sweet before the money and we’ll be sweet afterwards.â€

The boys had been fishing at Tuntable Creek, a waterway near Lismore in the tropical region of far northern New South Wales on Australia's east coast. The creek runs downstream from a nearby national park and is also located near Nimbin, a small town known as the home of Australia’s hippy culture, which hosts an annual MardiGrass festival devoted to promoting the use of cannabis.

The region had recently been affected by huge flooding so the bundle may have come from any number of streams in the area, known as the Northern Rivers region.

Police searched the Tuntable Creek area thoroughly but failed to uncover any more cash or clues as to where it may have come from. Inspector Greg Moore said that officers were investigating whether the discovery was crime-related.

"That's obviously one line of inquiry we're looking at," he said. "It could be proceeds of ill-gotten gains but at this stage we're certainly keeping an open mind."

Inspector Moore said that if nobody came forward with a legitimate reason for claiming the money, the boys might be able to claim it, otherwise it could go towards police internal revenue.

The mother of the teenagers admitted that she wrestled with the idea of keeping the cash for the family, but did not want anything to do with “dirty moneyâ€. She said: “It would be nice to have some extra money, but not if it’s going to upset our lives."

3 weeks to decide whether to keep it or not.

I be the police end up keeping!!!

This isn't a matter of morales it's a matter of intelligence, those two boys are just complete idiots. Anyone with half a brain would keep the money, people are so afraid of taking a risk these days they won't even keep money handed to them untraceable :blink:

This isn't a matter of morales it's a matter of intelligence, those two boys are just complete idiots. Anyone with half a brain would keep the money, people are so afraid of taking a risk these days they won't even keep money handed to them untraceable :blink:

Don't agree I'm afraid. Hats off to them. If everyone was like it the world would be a better place.

Don't agree I'm afraid. Hats off to them. If everyone was like it the world would be a better place.

If the world becomes full of people like these, be afraid, be very afraid.

This isn't a matter of morales it's a matter of intelligence, those two boys are just complete idiots.

One day they might grow another brain cell, and spend the rest of their lives regretting this.

Yeah me too mate. It wasn't their money. They mulled it over for 3 weeks (as would have I) and then handed it in in the hope that it couldn't be traced and it would come back to them.

But as they said "we were sweet before we found it and we will be sweet after". They probably don't have much (given that areas) but they obviously have the optimism not to be grasping and hungry about everything, and just out for themselves.

That was one of the things that I really found difficult about Britain. Everything was about how much you could get for it, and how much you could scam, and how much you could take. For a generous soul like me it was always going the other way. But I learned how to haggle from 12 years in Britain - I don't even realise I'm doing it nowadays. I just really find that level of cynicism hard to handle (as do a lot of older English people, who really miss the days when they could go out without locking their door, and they knew their neighbours - I know because I talked to a huge number of them - and so for you national front types, if there is anything that 'just isn't England anymore' its the lack of manners and the lack of caring for each other. Most older people have no problem with immigrants - in fact most quite appreciate the care that they recieve from immigrants, because the indiginees won't do it anymore - they just want to feel like they know the people in their neighbourhoods - so if you really want to take political action, stop and have a chat with an older person, and make Britian great again!)

I reckon these boys will have a good life. Its that attitude which is why I don't lock my doors when I go out - and they won't have to either. One less thing to worry about. Good on 'em.

Yeah me too mate. It wasn't their money. They mulled it over for 3 weeks (as would have I) and then handed it in in the hope that it couldn't be traced and it would come back to them.

But as they said "we were sweet before we found it and we will be sweet after". They probably don't have much (given that areas) but they obviously have the optimism not to be grasping and hungry about everything, and just out for themselves.

That was one of the things that I really found difficult about Britain. Everything was about how much you could get for it, and how much you could scam, and how much you could take. For a generous soul like me it was always going the other way. But I learned how to haggle from 12 years in Britain - I don't even realise I'm doing it nowadays. I just really find that level of cynicism hard to handle (as do a lot of older English people, who really miss the days when they could go out without locking their door, and they knew their neighbours - I know because I talked to a huge number of them - and so for you national front types, if there is anything that 'just isn't England anymore' its the lack of manners and the lack of caring for each other. Most older people have no problem with immigrants - in fact most quite appreciate the care that they recieve from immigrants, because the indiginees won't do it anymore - they just want to feel like they know the people in their neighbourhoods - so if you really want to take political action, stop and have a chat with an older person, and make Britian great again!)

I reckon these boys will have a good life. Its that attitude which is why I don't lock my doors when I go out - and they won't have to either. One less thing to worry about. Good on 'em.

Oh sh1t, I agree with an Aussie.

Mavbe I'm just feeling magnanimous because of the Ashes.

Mind you, I'm too Brit (or is that Bright) to have handed it in myself.

If you're talking about intelligence, then it's 'morals' not 'morales'. Interestingly, and with considerable irony, it's the one word you can't spell it seems.

It's very interesting that you regard people who have shown honesty and integrity as being, well, stupid.

There's a lot of debate on this forum about the state of the UK but your attitude really does go a long way to show why we're in the mire.

The fact that you would keep the money apparently without a second thought for the utter distress the person who has lost it must be feeling is pretty typical of the 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude that prevails here.

As someone else has pointed out - a nation of spivs on the make, where nothing else matters apart from being the 'winner' (with no thought as to what is being won).

Very sad.

I found 800 australian dollars lying in the gutter at Perth airport once -and handed it in.

It meant that I could face the person in the mirror and like him, something that is priceless.

If the world becomes full of people like these, be afraid, be very afraid.

Nope!

Absolutely 100% wrong.

They've shown honesty and integrity. With more of it, the world would be in a much better state.

Honesty my ****. They just watched 'No Country For Old Men' and $h1t themselves..

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Honesty my ****. They just watched 'No Country For Old Men' and $h1t themselves..

Haha. That thought crossed my mind too.

Oh sh1t, I agree with an Aussie.

Mavbe I'm just feeling magnanimous because of the Ashes.

Mind you, I'm too Brit (or is that Bright) to have handed it in myself.

:lol::lol::lol:

Did we loose? OH. Well just as well. I get a bit fed up with the gloating on the sportfield. It goes against the tradition of feeling like a winner because you played fairly. I haven't got a bean so maybe I am stupid, but I don't really care as long as I have a roof over my head, food in my mouth, clothes on my back and I'm warm in winter (oh, and I have enough money to make cider). Anyway, in Australia, if they can't trace lost goods and can't establish any criminality they go back to whoever handed them in, so there's a good possibility that those boys will walk away with the money AND have a clean and happy concience. I hope that the cops meet a dead end and the boys get their lottery pay out. They deserve it just for being good people. And wouldn't that be a moral tale (and also a morale tale!)

Anyway, I'm not saying were perfect. Its just nice to be neighbourly and I know that older Brits miss it. I can never forget that moment while sitting in my flat in Paignton, watching the news and seeing the Prime Minister of Australia unable to meet the eyes of the English soccer team as he literally threw their medals at them :lol::lol::lol: . It was so embarrassing. I reckon he would have kept the money.

:lol::lol::lol:

Did we loose? OH. Well just as well. I get a bit fed up with the gloating on the sportfield. It goes against the tradition of feeling like a winner because you played fairly. I haven't got a bean so maybe I am stupid, but I don't really care as long as I have a roof over my head, food in my mouth, clothes on my back and I'm warm in winter (oh, and I have enough money to make cider). Anyway, in Australia, if they can't trace lost goods and can't establish any criminality they go back to whoever handed them in, so there's a good possibility that those boys will walk away with the money AND have a clean and happy concience. I hope that the cops meet a dead end and the boys get their lottery pay out. They deserve it just for being good people. And wouldn't that be a moral tale (and also a morale tale!)

Anyway, I'm not saying were perfect. Its just nice to be neighbourly and I know that older Brits miss it. I can never forget that moment while sitting in my flat in Paignton, watching the news and seeing the Prime Minister of Australia unable to meet the eyes of the English soccer team as he literally threw their medals at them :lol::lol::lol: . It was so embarrassing. I reckon he would have kept the money.

Those forest fires keep you warm alright....cider? where do you live Tasmania? A lot of six fingered types down there.

WTF is soccer? the England rugby team won the world cup or something ....to displease old Johnny boy didn't they?

Australia nice enough country to visit...some decent people...usually Aborigines or Asians.....the worst are the ex-pats whose currency is the temperature...and feckin barbies......

I wonder if there's a correlation between being someone who thinks they should have kept the cash and being someone who enjoys a spot of public sector bashing in other threads. My guess is it'd be a pretty tight match.

Those forest fires keep you warm alright....cider? where do you live Tasmania? A lot of six fingered types down there.

WTF is soccer? the England rugby team won the world cup or something ....to displease old Johnny boy didn't they?

Australia nice enough country to visit...some decent people...usually Aborigines or Asians.....the worst are the ex-pats whose currency is the temperature...and feckin barbies......

:lol: Soccer is what you Blighty lads call 'Football'. Would have to agree with you about the barbie brigade. Especially when they get those BIG FO barbeques. I mean, what is the point? The good news is that they generally throw them out on the street and buy another one a year later, leaving those of use who scrounge the streets for our furniture in good form. I actually live in Gosford (or thereabouts). Weather is temperate (there's the currency :P ), terrain is flat where I live - great for biking, local fruitier is very happy to sell his seconds to me - 2 boxes coming on Saturday - totally the wrong types of apples but needs must :D . I just discovered French cider (the Australian stuff is truly god-awful, and anyway, I don't like strong alcoholic drinks) so I decided to try to 'ferment' for myself (it was pointed out to me by a cider expert that 'brew' was not the right word!)

I found a wallet recently is tesco. Had £40 and $200 in it along with driving license, season rail ticket, bank cards and the guys hong kong i.d card. I thought about the cash for about 5 minutes ( would always have sent him the wallet regardless). There was a receipt for his rent in the wallet so I called the ea's and got his address, took £5 out of his wallet and sent it next day delivery. Cost me £5.24 though, proof that no good deed goes unpunished :lol:

If I found a bag with this ammount in then I wouldn't even need 5 mins to think about it. No way it would get handed in, and if I felt the need to feel better about the decision then I would give it to various charities not the state.

If you're talking about intelligence, then it's 'morals' not 'morales'. Interestingly, and with considerable irony, it's the one word you can't spell it seems.

It's very interesting that you regard people who have shown honesty and integrity as being, well, stupid.

There's a lot of debate on this forum about the state of the UK but your attitude really does go a long way to show why we're in the mire.

The fact that you would keep the money apparently without a second thought for the utter distress the person who has lost it must be feeling is pretty typical of the 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude that prevails here.

As someone else has pointed out - a nation of spivs on the make, where nothing else matters apart from being the 'winner' (with no thought as to what is being won).

Very sad.

I found 800 australian dollars lying in the gutter at Perth airport once -and handed it in.

It meant that I could face the person in the mirror and like him, something that is priceless.

First of all spelling isn't important on an internet forum, people that insult others over spelling usually do so due to having a weak argument so needing to attack the person rather than the topic.

Anyway chances are the money was made in a dodgy way or it wouldn't have been stashed, think drugs etc.

Besides which, the world is a corrupt cesspit but most people (even on HPC it seems) think that corruption lies at the heart of governments when the reality is it's everywhere, even in business. Facing such an unjust world everyone should do anything within their power to improve their own lot as long as it doesn't hurt others.

Human beings are naturally greedy and power hungry, you start with nothing and a large number of people around you have already secured resources for themselves some by more corrupt methods than others. By having the kind of attitude you have people don't gain the ruthless attitude needed to be a savvy businessmen or to sell themselves at interviews in an effective manner (ie a little overselling!) as everyone else is doing it :P

Besides which anyone who leaves a bag of money in the middle of nowhere easily found deserves to lose it ;)

If more people showed the kind of 'integrity' (re: naivity) that you wished them to have the world would be even more corrupt as the leftover ruthless people would take over all the resources, it's already bad enough in those terms already.

Aged 12, I once found a fiver on the ground outside a shop. I picked it up, put it in my pocket and carried on.

I did so on the basis that if I asked the crowd outside "did anyone lose a fiver?" it was unlikely the true owner would be the only one to claim it as their own.

Losing a fiver isn't likely to change anyone's life. Losing 100k, now that's a whole different thing.

I probably would have handed it in on the the grounds that it might have been some pensioner's life savings they were depending on or, more likely, the proceeds of a deception, fraud or theft.

I couldn't bring myself to enjoy spending that money knowing that someone else's life might be ruined in the process.

I wonder if there's a correlation between being someone who thinks they should have kept the cash and being someone who enjoys a spot of public sector bashing in other threads. My guess is it'd be a pretty tight match.

I think you could be on to something with that.