House Price Crash Forum
getdoon_weebobby

Cash Buyers - What Are Your Thoughts Currently?

No chance of us buying yet.

Next summer at the earliest unless an absolute 'dream house' becomes available at a realistic price.

Sensible. allthough I suppose it all comes down to what part of the cuontry you are in. Im not asking you to divulge that, just making the point.

next spring would be a good time...infact I would go as far as to say just before the springtime....before the bounce :)

Edited by Jister1

Sensible. allthough I suppose it all comes down to what part of the cuontry you are in. Im not asking you to divulge that, just making the point.

next spring would be a good time...infact I would go as far as to say just before the springtime....before the bounce :)

There will be no bounce this coming spring.

Tough one!

I think house prices will fall, but money is also being inflated away......

I hope to buy next year with a large fixed rate mortgage which will be inflated away over the next few years.

Where we buy will depend on what happens with my job. My boss in the Uk wants me back (London) but if I don't like the job he has lined up for me it will be a change of career and hopefully a move to Yorkshire.

No chance of us buying yet.

Next summer at the earliest unless an absolute 'dream house' becomes available at a realistic price.

We aren't totally cash buyers but have STR enough for 75% deposit. We are in no rush as we love our rental house but if perfect house comes up at right price we will buy.

We will be looking around july next year as a 5% bond matures..we need to move due to daughter going to senior school..but if the prices are still crazy and the market was falling i would be thinking twice.

Expand?

If we follow path I expect this return to normal phase will give way to panic and fear by spring next year. If the market is still rising at that point it will mean we are in a crack up boom as Daddy Bear is betting on. Either way there will be better place for you money than houses.

For me, it will be from Autumn/Winter 2010 for both additional BTL and possibly upgrading the family home (although I may stay working abroad for a bit longer). I'm not getting paid in GBP which makes life a bit sweeter these days.

I never go serious house hunting from February to June (in by Spring/Summer) or September to October (in by Christmas).

I`m making offers well below asking prices and waiting and waiting.

Have price in mind for every property and sticking to it. Dont give a sh@t what Rightmove/Halifax/Nationwide/EAs/ reports.

Most houses I saw were ex rental and in poor condition so if you are selling a house first fecking tidy up! or dont expect good price.

im still holding out over winter. see where we are in march. what about you?

We bought (fully cash) in April this year after two to three years out of the market (and out of UK). We could have waited but the ideal house came up and we obtained it at a fair discount from the developer. Our experience was that the number of houses available that suited us was limited (rural West Yorkshire area) and we were not prepared to let the opportunity to buy this house pass by. I'm prepared to loose some value over the next year because all of the money used came from property inflation anyway and interest on deposited money is poor now. And the house is and will be our home for the next ten years.

In summary,wait until you find the ideal house and can buy it for a reasonable price, then go ahead. Buying a house/home should not be just viewed as a financial investment, although one should always buy carefully with a view to being able to sell again at some point in the future. In houses, as in many things, quality (specifically house type/construction and location) is the key factor.

Edited by The Realist

F'ed off with being told by vendors that prices are now only going to go one way (opposite way to the way I think). The same story from the 6 houses I've viewed in the last month (4-500k Herefordshire). All of them holding out for the asking price! IMO it's not worth looking again untill interest rates rise (mid to late 2010 maybe).

My cash is going back into fixes rate bonds for 6 more months.

I've given up till after the next election.

+1

I will not participate in a rigged market for houses, cars or shares.

These markets are all rigged at the moment, using your money, and let me assure you, it is not for your benefit that this has been done.

Really? Are you trying to say that you're earning a negative interest rate or something?

If prices fall then your pounds will buy more - unless you have somehow managed to lose some of your pounds.

Real v's nominal. What if house prices fall in real but not much in nominal terms? What if inflation is higher than house price falls?

I was worried about my savings being eaten away by higher rents and cost of living due to inflation. Even if house prices go down, inflation in the wider economy could leave me worse off. If I buy, I can sub let if worst comes to the worst.

Feel like I'm dug into a trench on the frontline waiting for the second wave.

I'm holding steady and keeping my nerve. There's a lot of people going over the top, screaming towards the enemy like loons. Suppose the softening up tactics by the media with their heavy artillery has resulted in shell shock in many, but I'm still sat here waiting for the moment.

Guest Fedup

Not going to buy in the UK at all if prices don't come down more. What qualifies for a nice area in the UK isn't generally what I would call a nice area. If you look at somewhere like Toronto (clean, open spacious, beautiful scenery) and compare to London (overcrowded, expensive, grey), then I can't justify being a house here as it's just not value for money.

Girlfriend has one year left of university, after which we will probably leave this overcrowded island for good.

Making an offer this week which would mean being mortgage free (very nearly). Real returns on cash are zero, I expect real returns on houses to be -5% for several years but apparently you can live in them.

VMR.

I think that house prices will level off for the rest of this year as the cash buyers dwindle and the 'bank of mum and dad' deposits run out . Next year I expect a steady but slow decline with vendors clinging to their hopes - until the General Election in May. Once the current government is history, and can no longer prop up the housing market with QE and pressure on banks to delay repossessions, and anything else that they think up in the mean time, I anticipate a second crash, gathering pace as people begin to realise that the UK is in rather a lot of trouble.

So I expect to buy, with my tiny pot of cash, at the end of next year at the earliest, and more probably in 2011.

I left the UK due to ludicrous house prices, but I’ll come back and buy with cash if sense returns.

At the moment, I’m in no rush, so a prolonged Japanese scenario is no problem.