House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

10 Years - That's How Long It'll Take To Revamp Park Hill Flats

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/10-years--th...-how.5667241.jp

REVAMPING Sheffield's landmark Park Hill flats will take almost a decade to complete – nearly double the original best estimate, developer Urban Splash has revealed.

When the £160 million scheme was approved by Sheffield Council's cabinet in 2005, a report forecast completion "over five to seven years, depending on progress and market conditions".

Work, split into five phases, started on the Grade II* listed building in December 2007. Urban Splash aims to create 874 flats, along with bars, restaurants and offices, plus a central, landscaped piazza.

But, more than 18 months on, builders are still on the first phase – the block overlooking Park Square, which has been stripped back to its concrete frame and is receiving a new roof before being re-cladded.

Today, the company revealed the "entire development" is now "due to be completed within nine-and-a-half years from commencement" – giving a completion date of mid 2017.

The original best estimate had been for completion in 2012. But an Urban Splash spokeswoman said: "We are still committed to this long-term project."

The new timescale for the scheme, funded with public and private sector cash, has also been confirmed by Sheffield Council's programme director Jan Fitzgerald.

Council leader Coun Paul Scriven said: "It was never part of the original brief for the scheme to take so long but we have to give Urban Splash a fair crack of the whip to deliver."

Coun Scriven said it was in taxpayers' "best interests" to allow Urban Splash to continue at present, even if it is taking longer than expected. If the company walked away, the council could apply to English Heritage to have the building de-listed. The flats could then be bulldozed to make way for a different development.

But Coun Scriven said if the request was refused, the taxpayer could face "the nightmare scenario" of having to fund the project's completion.

Residents living in 100 maisonettes still occupied at the Talbot Street end of the flats have complained about the deteriorating state of the site, where in some places concrete beams have crumbled to reveal steel reinforcement rods.

Some said there have been problems with noise, litter and drug taking, although a recent police crackdown on the estate had improved things, residents said.

Should have been demolished, however the council decided to blow a huge amount of taxpayer cash on it.

Excellent value, I bet this timescale will slip even more as the money dries up.

I lived in the newly revamped sister estate next door called Hyde Park in the early 90s. Was a disaster, thought they could mix the original council tenants with University students!

I lived in Sheffield in the late 70s and even the students wouldn't live in these places. I thought they had been pulled down decades ago. If they hadn't this must be a rerevamp.

I'm glad they are Grade II listed.

They will serve future generations as a reminder of what happens when clueless town planners, bent politicians and smooth-talking architects get their hands on public funds

I lived in the newly revamped sister estate next door called Hyde Park in the early 90s. Was a disaster, thought they could mix the original council tenants with University students!

They where revamped for the world student games, which was another financial disaster by Sheffield Council.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general...ter-705750.html

Britain's record of running major athletics events is far from successful. Sheffield is still recovering from the financial disaster that overcame its 1991 World Student Games, costing the city £10m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...tage-ruins.html

For the Park Hill project, the council and heritage body joined forces with hip, Manchester-based developer Urban Splash, a company chaired by Tom Bloxham, Chancellor of the University of Manchester, whose own property portfolio was once valued at more than £200million.

But Urban Splash relies on presales - selling homes not yet completed. Work began optimistically enough, but then the credit crunch hit and Urban Splash had to reconsider. 'It's not even worth trying to pre-sell in this environment,' Bloxham told us in the summer of 2008.

By then, with English Heritage's approval, Urban Splash had demolished everything except the concrete skeleton of the flats. But, unable to attract customers for property that did not exist, the company could not start rebuilding.

The failure of English Heritage and Sheffield City Council to consider the frailties of Urban Splash's finances was a near-fatal mistake. For a moment, it looked as if English Heritage had connived not in the restoration of Europe's largest listed building but its destruction.

'It doesn't look very good,' commented Giles Proctor, with a degree of understatement.

Urban Splash, however, had no intention of being dragged into the abyss by Park Hill.

This year, Bloxham's company decided to turn English Heritage's listing to its own advantage. In heated negotiations, Urban Splash argued that because Park Hill had been singled out by English Heritage, it could not legally be abandoned to fall into disrepair.

Reluctantly, Sheffield City Council agreed, but was in turn bailed out with an advance of almost £40million in bridging finance to save the scheme. The source of that money? The Government and the public purse.

Apethorpe

Apethorpe in Northamptonshire, where English Heritage requires workmen to use only historically authentic tools and methods

Thurley offered an equivocal response: 'Knowing what we know now, would we have gone ahead? Would Urban Splash have gone ahead? I don't know what the answers to those questions are.'

Despite his uncertainty, it is too late for Park Hill to turn back. The total cost of the site's rebirth is likely to top £150million.

some more examples of companies living off the taxpayer

link

ORGANISATION	TOTAL GRANT	Berkeley Homes								£31.9m	Persimmon Homes						  £8.5m	Telford Homes								  £8m	Countryside Properties (Northern)	 £5m	Urban Splash								  £3.8m	Bloor Holding								 £3.7m	Galliford Try								 £3.6m	Bellway										 £2.7m	Larkfleet Homes								 £2.7m	Barratt Developments						 £2.4m	Bovis Homes								 £2.4m	Westleigh Developments					£1m	TOTAL										 £75.7m

lived in the newly revamped sister estate next door called Hyde Park in the early 90s. Was a disaster, thought they could mix the original council tenants with University students!

Hyde Park Flats, renowned for flying televisions.

I used to live in Norfolk Park, and would pass Park Hill on the way to the Poly, and then spend all day looking at them out of the lecture theatre windows.

They were/are considered almost sacrosanct by many modernist types, for various historical, socio-political and technical reasons. Advanced building techniques used in combination with social theory to advance the standards of the workers type stuff. There really is nobody more sentimental than Marxism-inspired modernists.

Obviously this project is dead now, and what little is left of the structure should be pulled down. There are a lot of factors still standing against this - the psychology of previous investment, certain important peoples' reputations, and the gross sentimentality of the Left - but down it will eventually come.

There was a programme on about these flats a few weeks back. The concrete shell of the building only is listed, it showed you footage of the whole lot being gutted. It said 10 years for the renovation on that programme.

Should have been demolished, however the council decided to blow a huge amount of taxpayer cash on it.

Excellent value, I bet this timescale will slip even more as the money dries up.

I'm from Sheffield and I agree totally that they should be demolished. They were an eyesore from the day they were built.

I don't think the council decided to do anything. They were very much against the listing and wanted the flats knocked down

tim

hey

urban splash have another infamous overpriced project right here in Bristol

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/projects/lakeshore

would not live there tbh, and its right near "hartcliffe" housing estate which is famous for its own reasons!

and what a surprise, this project has been delayed too!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Bristo...il/article.html

Edited by no-way

'Many Russian achitects came to Sheffield in the late 60's and early 70's to copy the design of the flats here, which is very unfortunate................for the people of Russia'. Jarvis Cocker nicely summing up the urban landscape in our city.

'Many Russian achitects came to Sheffield in the late 60's and early 70's to copy the design of the flats here, which is very unfortunate................for the people of Russia'. Jarvis Cocker nicely summing up the urban landscape in our city.

Was just thinking they look very similar to the Moscow Projects.

I remember a day when I was a student living in Hyde Park watching some of the original buildings being demolished and then from the ashes Brian Adams popped up and shot a video in front of the rubble.

He even signed my mates vinyl cover of his latest album! Nice bloke, very short though, shorter than me in fact.

Guest happy?
Perhaps the Russians can get Urban Splash to help out and make them uber trendy and then sell them at inflated prices?

Urban Splash - is that the nauseating stench of stale urine which catches in the back of the craw when emerging from Tottenham Court Road tubestation of a Monday morning?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/daveharvey/

Urban Splash won't complete Lakeshore until 2014. "Buyers" won't pull out, as they'll loose their deposits..Some chap said that he'll loose his £8,800 deposit, and has admitted that he could now buy a 2 bed house for the same money his poncy 1 bed flat would have cost..

They where revamped for the world student games, which was another financial disaster by Sheffield Council.

Sheffield's trouble is that, not being London, they didn't get to help themselves to most of the cost from the national taxpayer's pocket.

The council had such financial problems as a result of that that they couldn't even afford to pay their employees salaries for a month during 1991. My dad was a teacher in the city at that time. His wages weren't paid and as a result his direct debit for poll tax to Sheffield City Council bounced, who then threatened him with a court summons for non payment of poll tax . I still vividly remember his phone conversation to them :rolleyes:

He left teaching for good, and Sheffield for good, shortly afterwards.

Edited by Neil D Possitt