House Price Crash Forum
Tonkers

Help! Good Ways To Quit

If people need to lie to me it's my fault not theirs.

Nail on head, but why?

I have started lying through my teeth, making up pretend meetings, once I started doing this, I almost got a nod and a wink from other people in the company, ah, that's the way you do it. I am appalled. Seriously, forum friends, help me with this, I need to leave. Why would I when I can just take the p1ss?

Edited by Tonkers

Needs more details.

Plus this thread makes no sense. Sounds like an interesting one though so please clarify.

I'm also planning my exit and wondering how to make the next few months as nice, and as much fun, as possible.

Don't leave if you don't have another job to walk into :unsure:

And when you do, just tell em you left for a higher salary /change of career.. its nothing personal.

Whats the problem?

Don't leave if you don't have another job to walk into :unsure:

And when you do, just tell em you left for a higher salary /change of career.. its nothing personal.

Whats the problem?

Agree with this. Never burn your bridges - it is a surprisingly small world even if you plan never to be a boomerang - your boss could end up at your next company/have mates there. Telling them straight isn't worth it as they'll never believe it (avoid exit interviews for the same reason).

And by having a job to go to - a signed/sealed contract - not an offer/nod and wink/etc.

Continue to do a professional job in the meantime. And don't talk to anyone (except maybe the other half/cat about it) - things leak as no-one can keep a secret.

If you want to record for prosperity the mistakes your boss has made - write them down and keep them safe (so you can avoid making the same ones if you are ever in the same position).

Reading between the lines - perhaps you are simply a little burnt out. If you can coast for a few weeks without anyone noticing (and recharge your batteries) why not try it? and then see how you feel about the job. A job that allows you to do this isn't to be sniffed at btw.

Get a set of leaving cards, write a few good will messages to yourself from a few friends and stick them up on the desk / monitor.

Hire a security guard-o-gram to come in, clear your desk and march you off site.

Edited by OnlyMe

Great replies, and helpful, thanks.

1. Unemployed? Paying bills for next few months, fine, no problem.

2. Staying til I get another job? Had an interview last week where I almost cried mama! wanted to fall into her arms and beg her to save me. Didn't work. Need to leave first and, er, cleanse of this pooery

3. Hiring someone to leave for me! Like that, and you do get that I want to leave well, when every atom is screaming revenge on the fraudulent, uneducated, useless toads!

4. Going my own way, I have that in place, but while I can take the mickey, and it is now my tacit understanding, that is what we do, why not take the money? Except it is eating away at my soul.

5. The company is insolvent, the business model is obselete, nothing will change that.

People always say dont burn your bridges, it must be a very English stiff upper lip thing, personally I say never leave an enemy behind alive.

If you hate someone, chances are they hate you back, so why do you need to pretend otherwise in the vain hope that they might help you somehow in the future. It just never happens.

One thing you can do. Is just have your own little agenda. Not for the company, but for yourself. Spend your time learning what you want to learn, spend the money that doing this on their time earns you on bettering yourself.

I have been in this exact same position, and I know what it is like, I spent years doing my own thing. But hated it too, as it soul destroying working for someone pathetic. If you are like me, you are just waiting for the straw that broke the camels back. I resigned almost on the spot (I was told to take the weekend to think about things) just over a year ago.

Get a friend to gently start the rumour that you have been offered a severance deal of truly staggering proportions. The size you would expect if you caught the MD sexually abusing a live chicken in the boardroom.

If questioned by colleagues, tap the side of your nose and wink, then walk away.

Leave the odd EA brochure on your desk for fabulous houses in Barbados.

When you finally quit, smile broadly you leave, whistling..

The boiling envy, gossip and fury as you climb into that final taxi will be very gratifying.

Edited by juvenal

Was once in a job that I hated, lasted exactly a month and a day so the w****r didn't get his employment agency fee back.

My exact words when I resigned were, "I'm afraid that your management style and my personality are just not compatible."

Translation, "You are an utter b*****d and can't I stay here a second longer without killing you".

It felt good.

People always say dont burn your bridges, it must be a very English stiff upper lip thing, personally I say never leave an enemy behind alive.

Will I agree with the sentiment and follow the same mantra, it definitely depends on the profession and the geographical location. If I don't like someone I will do nothing to ingratiate them. Other people I know in other industries can't, because you basically meet the same people all of the time.

You know something, this is kind of the same with me too. I work for one of those sh1thole companies that has just been fined for price fixing with relation to PFI construction. I left a job at a council 3 years ago to come here and it's been nothing but bullsh1t...all promises and no action...boo hoo. IT'S MY FAULT! And I admit that!

But things are just getting steadily worse...since my split with my ex and the fact I'm prevented from seeing my kid I have never felt so burnt out and depressed. Yep my personal life has a lot to do with it, but also my work life is dragging me down. All I seem to do every night is get drunk, go into work with a hangover the next morning, listen to our 'new boss's' ******-speak (had a dose of it this morning via mobile) and then feel ultra bitter about house prices! What kind of a life is that! I'm turning into a fat, depressed, burnt-out drunken bum that is most likely very close to being pulled over by the cops and found to be over the limit from the previous nights boozing...

The job itself is just rubbish...nothing that I am supposed to do has actually happened, and I'm restricted to doing stuff that I was doing back in my newbie days during 1990s...

Yes I know that there is this "don't walk out till you find another job" but I think that is incorrect. I've been to interviews and just cannot concentrate...I look like sh1t, feel like sh1t and am sh1t. I took this job on at the encouragement of the ex as it came with a car and she wanted me to commit 99% of salary towards a mortgage for a dream house. Now that the relationship ended last year, and I don't actually need a car cos I have my own, I feel that it is time to give my notice and just hope and pray that they ask me to leave straight away. I'll never own a house as I just haven't got that kind of streak in me.

This is affecting my life and my health...and getting pished every night is not doing me any good.

I for one am with Tonkers on this!

I have been in this exact same position, and I know what it is like, I spent years doing my own thing. But hated it too, as it soul destroying working for someone pathetic. If you are like me, you are just waiting for the straw that broke the camels back. I resigned almost on the spot (I was told to take the weekend to think about things) just over a year ago.

Pathetic if you are so perfect why didn't you start your own thing? instead of leeching off your employer and lumbering your fellow workers with poor performance.

What is soul destroying is running businesses where people spend time on forums discussing how to shaft their boss and believe me what goes around comes around - whats with all that the boss is the enemy c*** better get back to your playstation and avoiding responsibility.

5. The company is insolvent, the business model is obselete, nothing will change that.

Bad place to be. It can rot your very soul.

I've managed 3 times to leave an employer just before redundancies/takeovers/insolvency (twice by accident, once on purpose). It saved my mind from a lot of pain & meant that I was in a better frame of mind for seeking the next job.

Also (purely anecdotal) at subsequent interviews, it is a big plus point as it shows that you've not just been desk driving, but have been paying attention to what is happening in the rest of the company.

The day you leave, please ensure you conceal some kind of fish product in the deeper recesses of the wall cavity / air conditioning / suspended ceiling / behind a radiator. That way, if they don't go bust in 3 months at least they'll have a pleasantly fragranced environment to work in

Brilliant replies! Really helping and I will update, weak slug of a woman stays and sucks the lying teet, decent lady stands up and moves on, no revenge required.

Get a friend to gently start the rumour that you have been offered a severance deal of truly staggering proportions. The size one you would expect if you caught the MD sexually abusing a live chicken in the boardroom.

If questioned by colleagues, tap the side of your nose and wink, then walk away.

No no no!

Have you never heard of the power of Denial?