House Price Crash Forum
singlemalt

Builder Tears Down Family's Roof

BBC Link HERE

Ok, whilst I don't know all of the particulars surrounding this case I seriously doubt the builder would take such drastic action unless he had some valid grievances.

Really chafs my a$$ when people don't pay up when it comes to tradesmen. Like they'd do the same with a dentist or solicitor etc :angry:

BBC Link HERE

Ok, whilst I don't know all of the particulars surrounding this case I seriously doubt the builder would take such drastic action unless he had some valid grievances.

Really chafs my a$$ when people don't pay up when it comes to tradesmen. Like they'd do the same with a dentist or solicitor etc :angry:

Marathon_Man2_1_.jpg

£200 for that crown, I'm taking it back!

post-20595-1253572925_thumb.jpg

BBC Link HERE

Who's to say?

Long time ago, I got sued (for a trivial amount) by a plumber.

Story: I called him out, he did the job, sent invoice, I paid by cheque, assumed end of the matter.

But no, he sent second identical invoice, I assumed in error and ignored it (two invoices and payment were all within a timespan of a few days). Next thing, small claims court summons. I put in a defence, and even got the (cashed) cheque back from my bank as proof, with statement showing when it had been cashed. He failed to reply to my defence, so court struck it off.

Heard no more about it. But could something like that be the root of your story?

i dont feel sorry for either party.

the builders are obviously retards. Just listening to their common working voices tells you that. short term reasoning is what gets people killed. They obviously fecked up, didnt have a contracts manager, clients representative or effective project co-ordination. Cowboys to the end.

Then again, anyone living in a big house like that should have known better and employed competent roofers.

apparently it was 3/4 paid. Full contract management should include variations which covers changes in price which also covers payment for incomplete work. The builder was wrong through and through. Hope they are forced to foot the bill for a brand new roof. One that costs more than the one they put up in the first place.

The builder completed the work, but supposedly the customer claimed some of it wasn't up to their standards and held back £15,000.

Exactly what could be wrong to justify holding back £15,000.... I can't think of anything!

The customer obviously didn't give the builder the oportunity to correct any defects else the builder wouldn't have gone as far as going on the roof and recovering his materials. Apparently it was a £60,000 building contract

Looks to me like a customer ran out of equity withdrawal and couldn't make the final payment and tried to make up excuses/faults to delay payment while they tried to get financing.

Seriously, the builder wouldn't have gone as far as this if the customer was behaiving reasonably.

the builders are obviously retards. Just listening to their common working voices tells you that. short term reasoning is what gets people killed. They obviously fecked up, didnt have a contracts manager, clients representative or effective project co-ordination. Cowboys to the end.

Then again, anyone living in a big house like that should have known better and employed competent roofers.

apparently it was 3/4 paid. Full contract management should include variations which covers changes in price which also covers payment for incomplete work. The builder was wrong through and through. Hope they are forced to foot the bill for a brand new roof. One that costs more than the one they put up in the first place.

You, Sir, are what's known in the trade as a ' c0ck '

:rolleyes:

knob.

this is a small extension in a small town with a oneman band builder. There is sod all need (usually) for any of those qusi bureaucrats on a small job like that.

As for your snobbishness - that just shows you up to be an idiot.

You, Sir, are what's known in the trade as a ' c0ck '

:rolleyes:

Thirded!

I manage to leave many people happy with a job without any "contracts manager" or "clients representative"and I'm not a "cowboy".

These two parties should have got there heads together before now using mediation services if necessary....5 years is way too long to leave it

And what the fook was a police helicopter doing there?

Worked for women like that myself...the sort who want the work done like magic without any dirty foul mouthed builders being around. And they always try and get their husbands to shaft you over made up complaints.

i think 21 posts is quite enough from you fella.

Jog on.

Thirded!

I manage to leave many people happy with a job without any "contracts manager" or "clients representative"and I'm not a "cowboy".

Worked for women like that myself...the sort who want the work done like magic without any dirty foul mouthed builders being around. And they always try and get their husbands to shaft you over made up complaints.

Depending on where you are in the country, there's another group of people who also regularly try to do tradesmen over on price after they have started work - but it's not PC to mention them, innit.

Thirded!

IWorked for women like that myself...the sort who want the work done like magic without any dirty foul mouthed builders being around. And they always try and get their husbands to shaft you over made up complaints.

Not confined to your trade brother we get it with senior executives in IT services my estimation is that where the tradesman/supplier/professional is straight (and in the vast majority of cases this is the case) over 95% of the lack of integrity issues , going back on commitments and outright lying is on the client side.

As for Mr small town snob 51% as someone said jog on.

Not all customers are good customers, pity they didn't refuse the job in the first place. It's hard to know who will end up being weird but it's worth trying to get a sense before you take on the contract. hindsight of course is perfect.

The Builders chose this as a last resort - they need to get paid [iN FULL] before moving on to the next job.

I know of a landscaper who had to temporaily put their business on hold until they got paid - it was again over £15,000 that the landscaper had spent on the site using their own funds/working capital.

Edited by Pseudo Lord Sandwich

Surely the most depressing aspect of this is the use of a police helicopter?

Totally bloody mad.

They should have called in MI5, Interpol, and The Coastguard. I believe they were terrorists using a "common English accent" as a cover.

They should have called in MI5, Interpol, and The Coastguard. I believe they were terrorists using a "common English accent" as a cover.

:lol::lol:

Depending on where you are in the country, there's another group of people who also regularly try to do tradesmen over on price after they have started work - but it's not PC to mention them, innit.

Yes...and most of the lads I know won't even quote for that "group of people". Not worth the bother.

Most lads all have the same story...gave them the benefit of the doubt....and lived to regret it!

Yes...and most of the lads I know won't even quote for that "group of people". Not worth the bother.

Most lads all have the same story...gave them the benefit of the doubt....and lived to regret it!

my brickie sent his semi pro bodybuilder son round to take the walls down..... - my sparky, plumber, plasterer, gardener and groundworks guy also have identical stories about working and not getting paid or being offered a lot less once the job's nearly done - none of them will take the work now - they just quote in the stratosphere so they don't get it.

No one can tell with this situation unless you know the full facts

One thing is for sure, why does it have to get to this stage?

Why can't there be a meeting before things get like this, it is probably 50/50 but the stress built up over the last two years for them both was probably more damaging than the act of removing the roof

If the work had been deemed that bad though, how come he left it for two years and didn't get it fixed? hadn't had it fixed by someone else? Or would have met the builder for a compromise

I would have got it fixed by someone else

The lack of the husband presenting his case and leaving it to his missus didn't help

"my brickie sent his semi pro bodybuilder son round to take the walls down..... - my sparky, plumber, plasterer, gardener and groundworks guy also have identical stories about working and not getting paid or being offered a lot less once the job's nearly done - none of them will take the work now - they just quote in the stratosphere so they don't get it."

Don't even waste my time going round to quote it.

Had one who even told me on the phone his name was Rossi and that he was italian so I asked his neighbour on the way out.....who pi55ed himself laughing.

Wait for the "are you 2 in the BNP?" posts to start. :lol:

Edited by benthebuilder

Doesn't appear to have a hole in the roof on the satellite picture.

I'm getting confused over the amount owed. The BBC is reporting it as a £15K contract, and the builder is owed 25% i.e £3750, or is the builder owed £15K? That's a big extension for £15K!

I'm also puzzled why someone living in Barborough would be using a Skeggy builder. Maybe it was just that there was a high demand for builders in 2004, so they took whoever was available. Maybe the builder has since moved. Maybe the local builders would not touch them. ;)

Edited by mitchbux