House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Alternative National Selling Sites To Ebay

am getting a bit fed up with poor sales on ebay and high fees and then no sales, not to mention paypal's commission.

any alternatives?

qxl has gone i think

gumtree any good?

viva street?

craigs list whatever that is?

loot?

sell.com?

any more, pls add, whether auction or classified, i know there was some french auction site but cant remember it.

am getting a bit fed up with poor sales on ebay and high fees and then no sales, not to mention paypal's commission.

any alternatives?

qxl has gone i think

gumtree any good?

viva street?

loot?

sell.com?

any more, pls add, whether auction or classified, i know there was some french auction site but cant remember it.

Gumtree is OWNED by Ebay - how many other sites thru 'hidden' sub-foreign owned companies?

They have huge influence on these type of sites & can easily manipulate the costs of advertising/selling on such thru their market stranglehold!

thx all, i particularly like ebid, has potential http://uk.ebid.net/ no listing fees it seems, magnifique!

my things not selling well on ebay so cant do worse!

Ebay has gone off a cliff recently. We're selling about 2000+ less items a month. I think they must be rattled with offering all these points and double points etc for buying.

Ebay has gone off a cliff recently. We're selling about 2000+ less items a month. I think they must be rattled with offering all these points and double points etc for buying.

at least its not just me, i feel less alone now :lol:

Would be interested to hear how your results compare to eBay.

9/10 items not selling, not much more scope to deteriorate. that said, someone's currently achieving 50% more for exactly the same item as I sold last month, worse photo, worse description, higher postage

thx all, i particularly like ebid, has potential http://uk.ebid.net/ no listing fees it seems, magnifique!

my things not selling well on ebay so cant do worse!

I dont see how putting them on a site that only a thousand people use rather than ebay which 1000 times more people use is going to help sales.

You probably need to have a good look at your adverts, and your competitors, then check completed items to make sure other people arent selling cheaper than you and indeed to see if what you are selling is selling at all.

You could also create your own website and then upload item links onto froogle (google shopping) which is free.

As to people not buying on Ebay. I tend to find that the things I buy have gone up in price a lot, and other things i do buy the seller takes 10 days to post it. If you are expensive and provide a crap service dont be surprised when people stop buying from you.

If anything, I would expect Ebay sales to increase during a recession as people try to buy the same things but for less.

I dont see how putting them on a site that only a thousand people use rather than ebay which 1000 times more people use is going to help sales.

Yes I tried ebid, no-one even looked at my item. Trying to find good stuff to buy was also disappointing. It needs a hundred times more people on it before it gets any good.

I closed my account when the bastards wanted 10% of sale price, plus listing fee, plus PayPal 4%, plus the fact that you can't charge postage on a lot of items.

The whol thing is just item after item of turbolisted tat from Asia.

@SoonNotAChain... what u sell on Ebay? Is it a good moneyspinner?

All returns from the stores, lots of refurbed/reworked stuff and obsolete inventory. Unnboxed type stuff would go for next to nothing in a shop but gets good money on ebay also stuff where packaging design is unappealing and we've been left with excess inventory we can't make the supplier wear, with the right description can still sell well on ebay.

Ebay had a big drive to attract more mainstream retailers on to the site and has been a good credit crunch additional revenue stream for us. Model wouldn't really work standalone as the inventory is a byproduct of the bricks and mortar shops.

My advice on ebay would be to acquire branded lines at significantly below cost, which is obviously easier said than done. Two routes are genuine job lot clearance (not ebay job lot clearance, direct from consumer brands) or bankrupt stock, the latter being the best route as genuine clearance volumes will be far too large for a smaller operator.

All returns from the stores, lots of refurbed/reworked stuff and obsolete inventory. Unnboxed type stuff would go for next to nothing in a shop but gets good money on ebay also stuff where packaging design is unappealing and we've been left with excess inventory we can't make the supplier wear, with the right description can still sell well on ebay.

Ebay had a big drive to attract more mainstream retailers on to the site and has been a good credit crunch additional revenue stream for us. Model wouldn't really work standalone as the inventory is a byproduct of the bricks and mortar shops.

My advice on ebay would be to acquire branded lines at significantly below cost, which is obviously easier said than done. Two routes are genuine job lot clearance (not ebay job lot clearance, direct from consumer brands) or bankrupt stock, the latter being the best route as genuine clearance volumes will be far too large for a smaller operator.

Are you on the Outlets section that's just opened then?

My sales have fallen off a cliff in the last 2 weeks. Very frustrating seeing as I've just moved my stock to a new unit.

I'm using the quiet time optimising my site.

Thanks for the interesting insight. I was toying with the idea of doing a little something on Ebay as a sideline, but their charges seem to be getting stupid these days, so I probably won't bother.

You could try putting postcards in shop windows all round the country :lol:

I was doing that to advertise my house. The average price is 80p to £1 per week to put a postcard in a shop window, so it's not that cheap. Tesco and Sainsbury give free customer advertising (Tesco 10 days, Sainsbury 14 days). Asda charge £1 to place an ad on their notice board.

I found a couple of other shops that didn't charge to stick a postcard in their window. I've been advertising in around 7 shops and not had 1 call from these ads, so it doesn't seem to be a very efficient or successful way to advertise.

any alternatives?

qxl has gone i think

gumtree any good?

viva street?

loot?

sell.com?

I've found Gumtree to be great for buying and selling things. I buy 90% of my online purchases from eBay/Gumtree/Amazon.

www.friday-ad.co.uk isn't too bad

Used to use Loot 7 or 8 years ago - was big then but doesn't seem as popular as Gumtree now

www.preloved.co.uk