House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScaredEitherWay

House Price Growth Over 10 And 25 Years

There's been a myth that house prices double every 10 years, so I had a very quick look into it. Working with a very cut down and averaged data set from just 1971, I did two checks:

1] Do house prices always double every 10 years?

2] By how much do house prices increase every 25 years?

So here are my initial, simplified, findings:

Double Every 10 Years?

I compared 01/71 with 01/81, then each month thereafter until now.

01/81 to 06/93: Yes, they did double

07/93 to 05/02: No, they did not double

06/02 to now: Yes, they have doubled

So then I took today's price forward to see "if prices do not move by one penny, at which point from now will they NOT have doubled in the past 10 years" - and the answer was by March 2010.... so not long then before it's not true again.

How Much Every 25 Years

Obviously with such a small data sample, during some years of rapid growth, this was never going to prove too much. Starting with 01/71, 25 years brought me to 01/96, so these figures represent from 1996 to now, comparing growth over the past 25 years.

01/71 to 01/96: 11.50x more

01/72 to 01/97: 10.19x more

01/73 to 01/98: 7.76x more

01/74 to 01/99: 6.97x more

01/75 to 01/00: 7.85x more

01/76 to 01/01: 8.04x more

01/77 to 01/02: 8.41x more

01/78 to 01/03: 9.42x more

01/79 to 01/04: 8.35x more

01/80 to 01/05: 7.23x more

01/81 to 01/06: 6.97x more

01/82 to 01/07: 7.52x more

01/83 to 01/08: 7.38x more

01/84 to 01/09: 5.88x more

That trend is definitely getting smaller.

Source of Data: http://www.acadametrics.co.uk/FTHPI%20Nati...August%2009.xls

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

Im far from a housing bull, but all these comparisons (is it better to have a property investment, or stockmarket investment) seem to say that the stock market is best BUT include reinvested dividends. In so far as i can see the property comparison is just the Haliwide price index and doesnt add to that the rental yield. I suspect houses MAY be a better long term investment than the stock market.

Obviously thats not including mortgage/leverage costs, which all the BTL squad seem to love so much (ie i have to subsidise my tenants in the same way id have to pay into a pension, overlooking the fact that paying into a pension is paying yourself, paying a BTL mortgage is paying a bank)

I think houses may well be the best long term non-speculative investment if you pay cash, but with long term house price growth traditionally barely above long term interest rates i think mortgaged buyers may have a different experience. THIS MEANS YOU BTL FILTH SCUM.

Houses barely change in value, it's the currency they are traded in that does.

You could make that argument for price changes in anything, surely - which is why cash is not a 'store of value' without interest, as its purchasing power is eroded through inflation.

e.g. Mars bars barely change in value, it's the currency they are traded in that does.