House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Mortgage Approvals To Sales

With the restricted supply (lack of forced sellers in temporary imbalance ) will this mean that many mortgage approvals will not translate into actual sales ?

With the restricted supply (lack of forced sellers in temporary imbalance ) will this mean that many mortgage approvals will not translate into actual sales ?

July article British Bankers :

At present about eight or nine major lenders are supplying most mortgages in the UK.

Most experts believe that banks are using the relatively low level of competition in the mortgage market to rebuild their profits, BBC business reporter Brian Milligan said.

But the Council for Mortgage Lenders insisted the risk of customers defaulting on mortgages was much higher now than before the recession.

And it was "also worth noting that the only people lending are banks", Ms Knight added.

"Building societies can't do it due to their business model and they can't get access to funds as easily."

It was also clear that many borrowers were becoming "stuck in chains" when trying to buy somewhere to live, she said, meaning banks were "granting more mortgages than are being taken up".

Is this supply imbalance really true?? Looks like another piece of VI spin.

I dont believe it.

I monitor NN1 + 10 miles on rightmove and there have been a surge in properties being listed.

We're back to the same sort of numbers from 18 months ago.

And you may have seen one of my posts a couple of weeks back, number of rental properties dropped 8% in one month...I'm guessing they are all up for sale now.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Is this supply imbalance really true?? Looks like another piece of VI spin.

Supply at affordable and realistic values is in short supply . Supply at a value that a lender would be prepared to lend on is in short supply. Supply may be down but there are, I am informed, a LOT of properties on Rightmove just nobody can now afford to buy them without 125% LTV's and 8 x's income!!

I dont believe it.

I monitor NN1 + 10 miles on rightmove and there have been a surge in properties being listed.

We're back to the same sort of numbers from 18 months ago.

And you may have seen one of my posts a couple of weeks back, number of rental properties dropped 8% in one month...I'm guessing they are all up for sale now.

That sounds ok; as people see prices stabilising more supply comes back to the market.

Implications for the price indexes.

Could the general election next year affect supply ? (uncertainty)